DET is dead to me

drgoodspeak

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not advocating the "pay us off" blackmail scheme either. I would hope that advertisers adopt their methods so that adblockers aren't needed but its a war between them and the blockers. I don't use sites that have these aggressive advertisers any more and if everyone did that then site owners will learn to choose the correct advertisers

Like this site has. Have an advertisement click on me

quotes gone mental!!!!

anyway, @daveo, you say not everyone's got Facebook and Twitter, which is true, so traditional newspapers will exist for a while longer yet. But do you think they'll survive a generation? Will our kids care about traditional newspapers and magazines any more?

will all journalists just become freelance, writing their own blogs? If so, how do you monetise that? 

Maybe they'll all have to become multimedia, working for tv stations as a day job, and writing a less profitable blog on the side.

I think the business model of journalism is going to have to change massively over the next few years / decades. 

It's hard to say, social media sites come and go, look at Bebo and Myspace, could be the next big thing just around the corner that could crush newspapers. Facebook pages/groups were supposed to be forum killers, reading the support forum for this software it has killed some but this site keeps getting bigger.

I don't see journalists all running off to write their own blogs, they would have to monetise their sites well to earn a decent wage which can be difficult, they will stick with the national websites that will go behind a pay wall, limited content free to get you interested with a monthly fee for full access.

Sponsored articles will be more common, rather than a pop up or banner a full article/review on a washing powder brand that is integrated into the site and no way for adblock to hide. These articles possibly paying out pay per views and getting more creative into luring you in thinking it's a news article. 

I would expect to see less blogs/forums online over the next few years, as websites start dropping like flies server prices will go up to cover their losses. Blogs possibly becoming blogs moving to YouTube, YouTube are already introducing long non 2 minute non skippable ads for people running Adblock in a bid to fight back which is great, although I can see people whitelisting YouTube and that's it.

What I don't understand is those that run ad block, amazes me their are regular members on here posting on a daily basis advising others to install ad block as well. If a site is using over the top aggressive advertising, vote with your fingers and mouse, simply don't visit them, stop hurting other sites in the process as they may not be around if this continues....not trying to scare anyone here but that's the reality. 

In my opinion anyhow.

Ironically the ad blocker apps charge you 

2 ad blockers are top of the app charts (one costs £2.99) 

one has been withdrawn by the developer I think because he has a website aswell and realises it has to be funded but he also got criticism for his $3 charge for his app. 

Everyone has to earn a living

An eBook still needs a brilliant editor (like me for instance) to spot it, then someone to copy-edit it, a typesetter to put it into the text design created by someone, and then a proofreader, and then the files need to be warehoused in some form. While print books are VAT exempt, the government then charges 20% VAT on eBooks.  :D Of course in practice the production of print books and eBooks happen in parallel and we divide the costs between the different editions.

I agree though that publishers shouldn't bother with Rights Management. If you buy it, it should be yours for ever across multiple devices. But obviously there are the gits eager to pirate them systematically..

I get the DET every day and have done for over thirty years. I have to say that over the past year the content has deteriorated markedly with dreadful journalism full of adverts. 

Steve Nicholsons articles are now the only reason why I continue to buy it. I think he does a good job and stands out like a beacon in a field of dross. 

Archived