DET is dead to me

drgoodspeak

Injury updates on three players = three articles.

Pure clickbait.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-George-Thorne-contention-face/story-27824276-detail/story.html?

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Craig-Bryson-remains-sidelined/story-27824262-detail/story.html?

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-skipper-Chris-Baird-miss-clash/story-27824245-detail/story.html?

About four sentences per article. Shocking effort.

I'd be interested to know what you all use as your primary newsource for DCFC these days. I use newsnow, but to be honest I can't pinpoint one reliable or interesting source for news. DET now is just rehash of other new sources or gash like the above. Is there anywhere out there saying something interesting? DCFC official is ok, but is generally the party line. Come back Neil Hallam!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Injury updates on three players = three articles.

Pure clickbait.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-George-Thorne-contention-face/story-27824276-detail/story.html?

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Craig-Bryson-remains-sidelined/story-27824262-detail/story.html?

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-skipper-Chris-Baird-miss-clash/story-27824245-detail/story.html?

About four sentences per article. Shocking effort.

I'd be interested to know what you all use as your primary newsource for DCFC these days. I use newsnow, but to be honest I can't pinpoint one reliable or interesting source for news. DET now is just rehash of other new sources or gash like the above. Is there anywhere out there saying something interesting? DCFC official is ok, but is generally the party line. Come back Neil Hallam!

I'm with you. DET online is disgusting with it popups. I cannot use at work as the popups are sometimes gambling sites and they're blocked and flag up.

Okay basic business here....we're all using online instead of buying the telegraph right? so they have to make profits somehow, you can't blame a business for that. Just install something like adblocker.

not possible on a mobile, which I imagine we all use. It's impossible to read on Safari. 

As far as news sources go, I just check Twitter and this place. Anything worth knowing will be about somewhere. 

The DCFC articles are the best thing DET do! They are atleast Pro-derby.

The rest of it is either business self promotion or anti-council stuff. They act like the local council is going to kill us in our sleep and sell us to tesco...

Okay basic business here....we're all using online instead of buying the telegraph right? so they have to make profits somehow, you can't blame a business for that. Just install something like adblocker.

Exactly.

I don't know but I would say the reason you are seeing more aggressive ads on the DET is they are not making as much money. People using ad blockers are destroying sites, it's ok saying the internet is free but the way things are going it won't be free much longer. Instead of ads content will be behind pay walls, imagine having to pay for every site you visit as in the next few years unless something major changes that's what will happen and a lot of sites you love to use will be offline.

Remember years ago, before the internet you paid for newspapers, the content was a day late. Now you get it as it happens within minutes for free, I bet you're not buying newspapers still but expect the content there for free with no ads. 

The DET has gone to far now I agree, found myself with a full screen advert I couldn't even dismiss the other day to view the content which was frustrating. 

The thing is ads are becoming more aggressive because of ad block users, they are killing the internet, trying to cover the losses for those that block ads.

Imagine having to pay for every site you visit as in the next few years unless something major changes that's what will happen and a lot of sites you love to use will be offline.

I will have to pay for dcfcfans.uk, Big & Bouncy and Morning Star online. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Have to agree with Daveo. We live in a world of content marketing where click-throughs and web traffic mean money, and media outlets have to generate as much content as possible in order to survive. It's why there are so many football blogs that get wanna-be journalists to re-hash rumours and news. 

Steve at the DET shouldn't be criticised for putting 4 different tweet headlines to one article - it's all about drawing as much traffic as possible. It's like A/B testing - different headlines will work better than others. He's just trying to get click-throughs to support the paper and keep it active. If you want free content then lose the ad-blocker. Otherwise soon everything will be subscription based (like the Times or the Sun). 

I've not spoke to Steve at all and this is complete guess work but I'm guessing he doesn't pay travel expenses out of his back pocket to go to games. So not only do the DET have to pay him a wage but cover expenses. 

If newspaper sales and ad revenue are down through his articles what do you think the next step will be? it's pay wall time. One sentence then subscribe to the DET for just £5pm, it will happen. Won't be any full copy and pasting on to forums like these for those that don't subscribe either, I will receive takedown requests. Some national newspapers are there already. 

To be honest I think it's inevitable now, just a matter of time. 

On the twitter thing you also have to think that maybe you're on twitter a bit too much maybe? I know I am and see it all so I know where you are coming from but Steve isn't the only person to relink to articles throughout the day, Sky, BBC they all do it even the official site. They are trying to gain maximum views, getting the attention of potential readers throughout the day that may not have the chance to sit on social media all night. 

Steve wants your views, Sky Sports wants your views, Bris wants your views on HITC everyone wants your views, it's the internet.

Ads are fine but the D(e)T site is terrible. It hangs as it loads ads, the video ads take 10 seconds + to load, the screen renders several times, it aims to place an ad under your thumb as you scroll then hits you with a full pager. It's not the ads but the horrific implementation on a noddy platform that makes the whole experience so bad.

Its the site of last resort for me, newsnow.co.uk has lots of Rams news from lots of sources.

I like the 'I'm here with Steve Nicholson, chief football writer at the DT' videos, always timely, always authentic and without those the DT would be pretty worthless IMHO.

Archived