Shaun Barker

G STAR RAM

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a free agent he can be signed up at any time. Having miraculously achieved a decent level of fitness, through incredible dedication and hard graft, I would suggest not risking his health if he doesn't need the money. But as has been said above, if he's desperate to play, it's simply a question of going down to a level where he's offered a deal. If money's not the issue, I'm sure a club somewhere would take his registration and give him the chance to prove himself.

I'm not surprised, nothing against Barker at all as a person. Had a certain manager been in employment that would have been his only hope.

Still surprised by the amount of people that were saying give him another year to prove himself. 

I cant imagine its as simple as just offering a pay as you play, there is the cost involved in drawing up contracts, has to be some sort of minimum payment plan i would think. Add to that coaching costs, and potentially costs incurred should there be a recurrance of an injury.

Maybe had it been 5 years ago and he was younger then he may have got some sort of deal. Still hope he does, but reckon that went out the window when Clough left Sheff Utd. Maybe when clough takes charge of Burton when hasslebank moves on to another club.

So Mansfield, Alfreton and Notts County aren't interested in a former championship defender? I find that very hard to believe, regardless of his injury problems.

You'd be willing to play for nowt if you was that eager to get back into the game and prove yourself.

Blackpool/Rotherham are another club(s) who surely would have taken an interest in bringing him back for a look.

So Mansfield, Alfreton and Notts County aren't interested in a former championship defender? I find that very hard to believe, regardless of his injury problems.

You'd be willing to play for nowt if you was that eager to get back into the game and prove yourself.

Blackpool/Rotherham are another club(s) who surely would have taken an interest in bringing him back for a look.

There may be insurance implications

There may be insurance implications

I read somewhere that we didn't have insurance on players up until this season. I could be wrong. So I doubt those smaller sides have insurance.

But would any manager want to risk having the guy go out with a serious knee injury that could leave him limping for the rest of his life.

I am happy for Barker to be fit again and walking, running and jumping again at u21 level. But seriously, the guy has so much potential outside of football, and he's still young in the professional world. My opinion is that he should pursue that (media, charity, art and fashion) career and forgot about playing. That's what I would do. 

Archived