James Wilson

Ambitious

One thing about this whole deal that keeps catching my eye is the whole "20 teams are after him" to me that's a win win for us. If/When he joins us and he lives up to the hype united fans have made about him then we've got ourselves a gem, but on the other hand if he turns out to be average he can simple be recalled or dropped. Also by loaning him we're causing promotion rivals to miss out on a player with bags of potential and a player that can score against us..... I'm sure we're all familiar with Patrick Bamford:ermm: 

So can we all stop the moaning because if this falls through and Martin gets injured you'll all be begging PC to sign the "average" James Wilson.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the little I've seen and heard, he seems a good prospect and I can understand why we'd take him on loan. What I don't really understand is why we'd do it on the back of recruiting two 'proven' Premier League strikers in the summer, having already got our first definite 20-goal a season striker in ages in Martin,  whilst regularly playing 1 man up front. Don't think Bent or Weimann came to just sit on the bench, so surely the situation isn't tenable to have all 4 vying for one spot, two at most. The current poor  start isn't helping either, if we were flying then it's easier to justify them not getting a game, the prospect of being part of a promotion to the Premier League wouldn't harm either. If PC gets us winning games then those 4 look great on paper....not sure in reality we can keep all happy..

From the little I've seen and heard, he seems a good prospect and I can understand why we'd take him on loan. What I don't really understand is why we'd do it on the back of recruiting two 'proven' Premier League strikers in the summer, having already got our first definite 20-goal a season striker in ages in Martin,  whilst regularly playing 1 man up front. Don't think Bent or Weimann came to just sit on the bench, so surely the situation isn't tenable to have all 4 vying for one spot, two at most. The current poor  start isn't helping either, if we were flying then it's easier to justify them not getting a game, the prospect of being part of a promotion to the Premier League wouldn't harm either. If PC gets us winning games then those 4 look great on paper....not sure in reality we can keep all happy..

I'm wondering if Bent or Weimann have asked to go out on loan and we have agreed to it with the caveat that we bring someone else in. 

I'm wondering if Bent or Weimann have asked to go out on loan and we have agreed to it with the caveat that we bring someone else in. 

We're getting onto conspiracy theories now....the most likely explanation is that a) weimann is seen as competition to russell so far this season (as a winger) and b) PC has made it clear he wants to be able to try new formations, if he opts (and sticks to) 2 up front then 4 strikers on rotation seems the smart idea. plus if **** hits the fan with another injury to martin then it's obvious Bent can't perform that role.

We're getting onto conspiracy theories now....the most likely explanation is that a) weimann is seen as competition to russell so far this season (as a winger) and b) PC has made it clear he wants to be able to try new formations, if he opts (and sticks to) 2 up front then 4 strikers on rotation seems the smart idea. plus if **** hits the fan with another injury to martin then it's obvious Bent can't perform that role.

But can Wilson? He is more of a footballer than Bent but a strong wind could blow him over.

There appears to be a lot of criticism of our strikers, based on a few games this year in which the team as a whole hasn't hit its straps.

Martin needs more support from midfield runners than he has had so far.

Weimann needs to play through the middle, perhaps partnered by a foil like Martin or Bent 

Bent is a finisher and proved as much last season. If we keep giving him the service he will score.

Ince likewise.

Just because we haven't scored a hat full doesn't make them bad players.

They, like the rest of the team,  need a confidence boosting victory and all will be well.

There appears to be a lot of criticism of our strikers, based on a few games this year in which the team as a whole hasn't hit its straps.

Weimann needs to play through the middle, perhaps partnered by a foil like Martin or Bent 

Bent is a finisher and proved as much last season. If we keep giving him the service he will score.

Ince likewise.

They, like the rest of the team,  need a confidence boosting victory and all will be well.

Exactly! people need to calm down. We have only played 5 games in the league - the team hasn't had chance to get going yet.

Ince likewise.

It's not always a criticism of the forwards, it the selection process behind the type of forwards we have bought

Archived