Live Game Thread 15/16

sage

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Best league in the world say the marketing people...

Best for cock-ups. The self-destruction committed by Crystal Palace to gift Defoe a goal had to be seen to be believed.

So Barcelona have Real Madrid and Roma within a few days and end up scoring ten goals...

They're too good. That front three is the best ever, scoring over 160 goals combined since the start of last season. It's not like they're scoring a few past rubbish teams either. Demolishing the best around.

I remember those years in the Champions League when you had no idea who was going to win it. Getting all too predictable nowadays. Bayern and Barca are ten levels above everyone else. 

If you're an Arsenal or City, you may aswell drop out now and just focus on the league. A demoralising defeat to either Barca/Bayern later on in the tournemant could do more harm confidence wise than just dropping out now.

59 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

So Barcelona have Real Madrid and Roma within a few days and end up scoring ten goals...

They're too good. That front three is the best ever, scoring over 160 goals combined since the start of last season. It's not like they're scoring a few past rubbish teams either. Demolishing the best around.

I remember those years in the Champions League when you had no idea who was going to win it. Getting all too predictable nowadays. Bayern and Barca are ten levels above everyone else. 

If you're an Arsenal or City, you may aswell drop out now and just focus on the league. A demoralising defeat to either Barca/Bayern later on in the tournemant could do more harm confidence wise than just dropping out now.

A pretty poor Chelsea side with a pretty average manager won the champions league and the Liverpool side that won in '05 were hardly full of world beaters. In terms of quality and current form Bayern and Barca are above everyone else, but football is never that simple and especially in a knockout game where anything could happen. 

9 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

A pretty poor Chelsea side with a pretty average manager won the champions league and the Liverpool side that won in '05 were hardly full of world beaters. In terms of quality and current form Bayern and Barca are above everyone else, but football is never that simple and especially in a knockout game where anything could happen. 

I honestly think Chelsea are one of the only teams who could possibly knock those two out this time around. There is no way a team can play them at their own game and expect to triumph.

Arsenal and City are loaded with attacking talent, but they're not the sort who will go away and absorb pressure like a Chelsea or an Atletico Madrid would.

I fully agree with the notion that it's a knockout tournament and anything can happen. But I just can't see how an open attacking team would be able to stop them.

The fact that Chelsea look so defensively bad this season and Barcelona have beaten Atletico about five times in the last 12 months doesn't bode well for their chances, especially against such great teams.

For Barca, they're only just starting to pick up form after a pretty poor start to the season by their standards.

14 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I honestly think Chelsea are one of the only teams who could possibly knock those two out this time around. There is no way a team can play them at their own game and expect to triumph.

Arsenal and City are loaded with attacking talent, but they're not the sort who will go away and absorb pressure like a Chelsea or an Atletico Madrid would.

I fully agree with the notion that it's a knockout tournament and anything can happen. But I just can't see how an open attacking team would be able to stop them.

The fact that Chelsea look so defensively bad this season and Barcelona have beaten Atletico about five times in the last 12 months doesn't bode well for their chances, especially against such great teams.

For Barca, they're only just starting to pick up form after a pretty poor start to the season by their standards.

I get where you are coming from and agree that you can't really beat Bayern and Barca in open play, but if you play like Arsenal did at the Emirates with some nice counter attacking football then it is possible to beat them. 

Also agree that a team like Chelsea and Atletico are the best sides to counter their attacking threat and we have seen in the past Mourinho and Simeone beat sides like that. 

I used to despise Man United under SAF, the amount of times they'd sneak a last minute winner or win trophies with John O'Shea and Wes Brown in the line-up. Even Macheda looked a decent player for them!

Now, it's weird seeing them so rubbish. Nobody talks about them anymore, it's as if they don't even exist and the way they're going they could end up winning the Premier League.

I have just no feeling whatsoever towards them. I look at their team and just think ',meh'.

That said, I do want them to get through in the CL and face someone like PSG or Real Madrid. It's not looking good for them though. Assuming PSV beat CSKA Moscow at home, United will have to beat Wolfsburg away to qualify.

And that's unlikely to happen. Wolfsburg are probably a better team than United. And they're absolutely miles behind Bayern Munich which just shows where United currently are in terms of status.

Today. I shall mainly be supporting Bournemouth, Sunderland, Palace, Reading, Bristol City, Charlton, Huddersfield, MK Dons, Cardiff and Birmingham.

Wins for that lot and we stay on top and both Forest and Newcastle drop into the relegation zones.

Now that would be a Carlsberg of a weekend.

Guðmundsson needs to find a better club in January, these boys are not up to it.

The incident when Charlton were breaking fast and an Ipswich player went down and stayed down because the ball brushed the top of his nose was blatant cheating.  Very disappointed with the Sky commentators lamenting the incident but then justifying it by stating that it's part of modern day football.  No it isn't and never will be.  Refs need to wise up and punish cheating harshly.

Archived