Are we still favourites for automatic promotion

Curtains

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They look to be getting Nugent

I missed that one. £4m. He won't get as many goals as Rhodes but is less than a third what they would have had to pay for Rhodes. Have to wait and see how he get's on. Checking his record and I think he is likely to return to his previous record in the league (before his promotion season) of around 15 goals. But in the last few days Boro sold Tomlin. They lost Vossen, Bamford and Tomlin. Tomlin was also their play maker when he featured. People in my view have exaggerated Stuani's ability/return and Downing too. On Stuani people are focusing on how he is 4th-5th choice for Uruguay. A nation of comparable size to Wales. Do we rave about the Welsh 4th -5th choice forwards...

Bamford, Tomlin and Vossen got almost half of their league goals. Grant Leadbitter had a storming season. Bryson esque which he won't replicate. Will have to wait and see how solid they are defensively but we are in for another goal shy Boro. 

I missed that one. £4m. He won't get as many goals as Rhodes but is less than a third what they would have had to pay for Rhodes. Have to wait and see how he get's on. Checking his record and I think he is likely to return to his previous record in the league (before his promotion season) of around 15 goals. But in the last few days Boro sold Tomlin. They lost Vossen, Bamford and Tomlin. Tomlin was also their play maker when he featured. People in my view have exaggerated Stuani's ability/return and Downing too. On Stuani people are focusing on how he is 4th-5th choice for Uruguay. A nation of comparable size to Wales. Do we rave about the Welsh 4th -5th choice forwards...

Bamford, Tomlin and Vossen got almost half of their league goals. Grant Leadbitter had a storming season. Bryson esque which he won't replicate. Will have to wait and see how solid they are defensively but we are in for another goal shy Boro. 

Against Preston they failed to register a shot on goal. That to me doesn't only shout out "we're lacking a goalscorer" it says "we're struggling to do anything of an attacking nature". In my opinion a 15 goal player is not going to get them promoted, but their defense is so strong you can't rule them out.

Poor old dawks. The whole level of expectation on him is unbelievable. 

Not from me, I expect him to look neat and tidy, without actually hurting the opposition.

Prefer him out wide, not a winger but his one-twos always have the promise of unlocking a defence set up to push wingers out wide.

In the middle, lacks the defensive head needed, Imo. 

It's Bookies make odds for these things not mere mortals like me.

I feel in our circumstances, this season and last, that we are contenders, we are in the frame we are, if you like "mentioned in despatches" I don't think any team can claim to be dead certs for promotion and that includes us with our without hughsey. Cracking player, gifted can unlock defences when no one else has a key but doesn't do it in every match against all opposition. With our squad we remain contenders .. End of story. Pity we don't have Hughes as he increases our chances but as others have said .. Great opportunity to blood some younger players and see if they can step up. In a way it is exciting ! COYR

On what basis we were favourites in the first place an unproven Championship manager in charge of a team who failed to make the playoffs last season

this. We never were favourites, but we do have a chance. At the end of the day though we are playing almost the exact same 11 as we did last season. 

TO be honest I was delighted when I found out we weren't favorites come to the start of the season. The favorites hardly ever win the league.

While favourites, being labelled at 5/1 is not really a 'favourite' is it. More just 'the most likely' from a group of teams with next to nothing between them.

It's not we were 4/7 to win the Championship like Juventus in Serie A. Now that's a favourite. Bayern Munich a 1/14 to win the bundlesiga is even more so!

The Championship 'favourites' rarely win the league because in all honesty there is little difference between them and say eight or so other second-tier clubs.

How many times does the paper favourite win in a horserace if it were that often they'd be no bookies in business 

generally the 1/7 1/4 Type favourites will. As stated above anything generally evens or over isn't really 'favourite' more a 'most likely'

How anyone can predict the winner in a 46 fence 9 month duration horserace is beyond me

You can't ,but you can predict eighteen or so of the championship certainly won't be winning it by the end of season and surely Middlesborough ,Derby  would be top choice of any body that knows what shape a football is 

You can't ,but you can predict eighteen or so of the championship certainly won't be winning it by the end of season and surely Middlesborough ,Derby  would be top choice of any body that knows what shape a football is 

Why though we've got effectively the same team whom wasn't capable of even getting into the playoffs last season with a guy in charge whose never managed a football club before and yet we're favourites explain that one

Not suggesting we will romp away with the title ,I have my doubts about PC ,yes a probably a very good coach and glad he came to the club ,however managerial experience and tactical decisions will be put to the test during the course of the season and I hope he is capable of making the right decisions at the right time ,some thing Maclaren seemed to lack dispite his years of management .

However we have an in depth squad,reasonably well balanced with youth ,experience, a good competition of places with a back room squad ,training facilities equal to most and certainly better than other championship clubs.Consider this with the professional set up and ambitions of the club and you would expect us to be pushing for promotion more so than most other clubs in this league 

Archived