The one improvement that I would make to Football is:-

Rampage

Football is an evolving game. We have seen the number of substitutes increase over the years,along with the number of officials. Goal line technpology is here to stay. Should it be extended to offside replays. From ticket prices right through to worldwide issues, what single improvement would you bring in? I still find the away goals rule annoying. I would have every apparent goal replayed to see if it was offside before a goal was officially awarded in designated leagues..

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All 'goals' checked by cameras for offside before being officially awarded and to be shown on screens where present. I know that this would create two tiers of football, that is those, with camera systems and those without. Whatever level of camera coverage would be the same for both teams in the same game but in professional leagues, certain standards could easily be set. In case of camera angles being inconclusive then the referee's decision would stand.Some ridiculous goals have been given in the past. One goal given can mean one point or two gained or lost. Many promotion issues are decided on such small margins. Some Clubs do not recover from some relegation years because of player departures and financial meltdowns.

Wages for me. I thing the fact that a 20 year old can earn in a few months more than most men earn in a lifetime. I no it's the way the game is going but it doesn't make it right. I don't blame the players. Agents are also a cancer within the game, doesn't suit them for a player to sit back and honour a long term contract so they stir up interest in their client for personal gain. Pains me to see the beautiful game, our beautiful game being run as a business. 

In terms of rules i would change the offside rule with an additional line around 35 yards out. You can only be offside beyond that rather than beyond the halfway line. The offside rule was brought in to stop goalhanging and protect goalkeepers, not to squash any creativity out of midfield. 

Going to be greedy and have two changes on reflection. Retrospective 1 month bans/fines for divers. Would stop diving overnight and allow refs to make better decisions. 

Punishing time wasting and play acting. Too soft on it. 

Start seeing red cards flying about and it ends it. I've always hated time wasting when we do it. £30 to watch Frank Fielding spend 5 minutes pretending to tie his boot laces. 

Don't understand how in so many games a player will go down with the defender clearly not touching the ball and the ref waves play on. How can it be play on? It's either a penalty/fk or its a dive. He's not done an elaborate somersault and lay there waving his arms because he tripped in the long grass. Get the cards out. 

I'd like to see less yellow cards for the odd mistimed tackle and start waving them about for shouting at referees and cheating. 

I'd allow retrospective action for where the ref has been conned by a dive or whatever. Leave the game stand as it is, but allow multipul yellow card equivalent for things not picked up. And yeah, normalisation of ticket prices. I've never been convinced a player tries harder if Hes going to get more money.

In terms of rules i would change the offside rule with an additional line around 35 yards out. You can only be offside beyond that rather than beyond the halfway line. The offside rule was brought in to stop goalhanging and protect goalkeepers, not to squash any creativity out of midfield. 

Very interesting idea.sage. I am taking a liking to the 'There must be a winner' idea of American Soccer. i suppose instead of playing for a draw and one point, teams might play for a draw and a penalty shoot out. If you cannot outscore a team by putting the ball iin the net from twelve yards why complain. It is a team win when five from each side are scheduled to take a penalty and in exceptional cases everyone might have to take a penalty.I suppose that highly trained penalty taking subs may become a feature of the game.Chelsea have just beaten Paris St Germaine and Barcelona in America on penalty shoot outs. I cannot argue with that as value for money at a game. Trying harder to win the game in the last fifteen minutes might increase. Harry Redknapp said that they were playing for penalties in our Play Off Final..A ten or fifteen minute sin bin for professional  fouls is also a potentially good idea.

Very interesting idea.sage. I am taking a liking to the 'There must be a winner' idea of American Soccer. i suppose instead of playing for a draw and one point, teams might play for a draw and a penalty shoot out. If you cannot outscore a team by putting the ball iin the net from twelve yards why complain. It is a team win when five from each side are scheduled to take a penalty and in exceptional cases everyone might have to take a penalty.I suppose that highly trained penalty taking subs may become a feature of the game.Chelsea have just beaten Paris St Germaine and Barcelona in America on penalty shoot outs. I cannot argue with that as value for money at a game. Trying harder to win the game in the last fifteen minutes might increase. Harry Redknapp said that they were playing for penalties in our Play Off Final..A ten or fifteen minute sin bin for professional  fouls is also a potentially good idea.

You've let yourself down, you've let Derby County down, you've let your family down. American Soccer my @rse.

This forum is here so that the sage may on occasion be upstaged by the innocence of the ill informed and the genius of the newcomer.Sagacity is to be celebrated but may prove to be temporal. Brilliance can be incandescent. but technology and finance generally upstage the pontifications of the purists and the old farteros..

This forum is here so that the sage may on occasion be upstaged by the innocence of the ill informed and the genius of the newcomer.Sagacity is to be celebrated but may prove to be temporal. Brilliance can be incandescent. but technology and finance generally upstage the pontifications of the purists and the old farteros..

I am in partial agreement with you. :ph34r:

4 points for an away win and an extra point for winning by 3 goals or more (home or away)?. Stop teams shutting up shop away from home & playing for the draw & keeping momentum going if you're winning by 2 goals.

I'd like to see 11 substitutes, with no limitations to how many can come on.

It allows for a more competitive game, perhaps more youngsters blooded in earlier and most squads can cater for such a thing.

If you have an injury at left back, and you only have a right back on the bench, you have your hands tied for the rest of the game purely because of an unfortunate injury. The skeptic in me thinks that some managers will even tell their players to pinpoint such holes before a game as well.

It's a far-out suggestions but it could work. 

A wage cap. something still ridiculously high but it would stop players being drawn to clubs solely for money. Say the cap with 50k a week, which by the way if you can't live on that you deserve shooting. Teams like Southampton would be able to offer that, maybe not to all their players but it would certainly help sides improve and we could see a more competitive league. Of course the only way this would work is if it was worldwide, which isn't going to happen. A wage cap in the PL alone would see an exodus of the best players. A European wage cap would probably just result in players moving to China or USA a lot earlier than they would otherwise.

It won't happen, but that's what I'd change.

Archived