Your starting XI for Bolton

Bris Vegas

Grant

Baird        Keogh     Shackell      Forsyth 

Hughes    Thorne 

Ince              Wiemann       Russell

Martin

Subs  Carson, Bent, Christie, Hanson, Pierce,Warnock and Hendrick.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the starting 11 could be numerous players from our squad, I believe that PC having different formations will not have a nailed on starting 11. It will change for each match depending on 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 etc and also our opponents. Only Paul will know and in him we must trust. He did it at Real Madrid as assistant coach, they also changed their line ups and formations quite often against La Liga teams and when in Champions league. 

I'd stick with last nights formation, but whack Forsyth in at LB. Not that Warnock wasn't good, I'm just a fan of the more attacking full back, not an aspect we have with both Baird and Warnock in the team, and I rate Baird more highly than Warnock, and Forsyth more highly than Christie. 

I'd also stick Shackell in for Pearce.

Grant

Baird                    Keogh                                        Shackell               Forsyth

Thorne

Hughes                     Hendrick

Ince

Martin                   Weimann

*drool*.

Having Forsyth up and down the flank gives us the width which a 4-4-2 diamond often lacks.

That's the one Howard, can't believe we  would go much different to this after the friendlies!

Grant 

Baird      Keogh    Shackell    Forsyth 

Thorne Hughes 

Russel      Ince        Weimann

Martin 

subs: Carson, Pearce, Dawkins, Shotton, Hendrick, Bryson, Bent                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

The only position I'm unsure about at the moment is the partner to Shackell. I've still not really seen enough of Pearce, Shotton's been very good in pre-season, but Keogh based on the past is the best choice for it. Also, I suppose I'm not 100% who'll be the starting GK, but I imagine Clement isn't fully sure himself yet.

I'll go:

Carson 

Baird   Keogh   Shackell  Forsyth 

Thorne   Hughes

Russell   Ince   Weimann

Martin

So, almost the same as above. I've a feeling we'll play a similar way that we played against Burton because that seems like an away formation to me, but putting Baird in DM and someone else at RB would mean leaving Hughes out. Bias aside, Hughes isn't going to be left out as he's been our best player (at least one of) in pre-season.

Hughes was outstanding against Utrecht and Villareal. I cannot see him not starting, irrespective of formation because he can play anywhere.

I'd still like to see Ince out wide. I know he's being touted as this great Number 10 who could be deadly in behind the striker (and I'm sure he could be), but from what I've seen so far of him in that position during pre-season, the game seems to pass him by somewhat.

When he's played in the middle he can often be double-marked out of the game and the opposition are still able to maintain some balance to their formation. Put him wide and the opposition need to overload their left side in order to double team him, creating extra space in the middle.

He obviously enjoys being in the middle of the pitch, as evidence by his tendency to drift inside when played wide right, but I do think he needs to pick the ball up wide initially as it affords him an extra few seconds and a little more space to receive the ball and assess his options before coming inside. It also gives other players chance to make runs and drag defenders around, creating pockets for him to move into and/or passing options. With Weimann in the hole, it would simply be a question of them swapping over whenever Ince cuts inside. Yes, it's a bit "one-trick-pony", but as we saw last season it can be very effective.

I'd still like to see Ince out wide. I know he's being touted as this great Number 10 who could be deadly in behind the striker (and I'm sure he could be), but from what I've seen so far of him in that position during pre-season, the game seems to pass him by somewhat.

When he's played in the middle he can often be double-marked out of the game and the opposition are still able to maintain some balance to their formation. Put him wide and the opposition need to overload their left side in order to double team him, creating extra space in the middle.

He obviously enjoys being in the middle of the pitch, as evidence by his tendency to drift inside when played wide right, but I do think he needs to pick the ball up wide initially as it affords him an extra few seconds and a little more space to receive the ball and assess his options before coming inside. It also gives other players chance to make runs and drag defenders around, creating pockets for him to move into and/or passing options. With Weimann in the hole, it would simply be a question of them swapping over whenever Ince cuts inside. Yes, it's a bit "one-trick-pony", but as we saw last season it can be very effective.

Ince is very easy to knock off the ball.

He therefore needs room in which to collect the ball so he has it at his feet before a challenge comes in on him. He can then use his pace and skill to beat opponents.

He is more likely to get that space on the wing.

The only position I'm unsure about at the moment is the partner to Shackell. I've still not really seen enough of Pearce, Shotton's been very good in pre-season, but Keogh based on the past is the best choice for it. Also, I suppose I'm not 100% who'll be the starting GK, but I imagine Clement isn't fully sure himself yet.

I'll go:

Carson 

Baird   Keogh   Shackell  Forsyth 

Thorne   Hughes

Russell   Ince   Weimann

Martin

So, almost the same as above. I've a feeling we'll play a similar way that we played against Burton because that seems like an away formation to me, but putting Baird in DM and someone else at RB would mean leaving Hughes out. Bias aside, Hughes isn't going to be left out as he's been our best player (at least one of) in pre-season.

Looks great on paper and provides great attacking options but what happens when we don't have the ball? 

Thorne looks very isolated.

Don't be surprised if we lose him to suspension this season.

Some of his tackling is Scholes -like.

Looks great on paper and provides great attacking options but what happens when we don't have the ball? 

Thorne looks very isolated.

Don't be surprised if we lose him to suspension this season.

Some of his tackling is Scholes -like.

It's fine... We have Baird and Hanson to step in now...

If you were to make a decision now, assuming no more players arrive and taking into account who's likely to be match fit, who would make your starting XI for the first game of the season and in what system?

I'd go 4-3-3

Grant, Baird, Keogh, Pearce, Forsyth, Thorne, Bryson, Hughes, Weimann, Ince, Martin

Would find it difficult to leave Russell out after the pre-season hes had. Its very clear he wants to fight for his place.

My personal opinion is that we'll go with the 4-4-2 diamond

Grant; Baird, Keogh, Pearce, Forsyth; Thorne, Hughes, Hendrick, Ince; Martin, Weimann.

Bench: Carson, Christie, Shackell, Hanson, Bryson, Russell, Bent.

Potentially we will change to 4-3-3 if the game isn't going our way.

...................a goalkeeper

Baird......Keogh....Shackell.....warnock

......................thorne

ince..............hughes............russell

...........weimann......martin

which it won't be....but that seems to be the best selection of midfielders 

...................a goalkeeper

Baird......Keogh....Shackell.....warnock

......................thorne

ince..............hughes............russell

...........weimann......martin

which it won't be....but that seems to be the best selection of midfielders