Your starting XI for Bolton

Bris Vegas

If you were to make a decision now, assuming no more players arrive and taking into account who's likely to be match fit, who would make your starting XI for the first game of the season and in what system?

I'd go 4-3-3

Grant, Baird, Keogh, Pearce, Forsyth, Thorne, Bryson, Hughes, Weimann, Ince, Martin

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were to make a decision now, assuming no more players arrive and taking into account who's likely to be match fit, who would make your starting XI for the first game of the season and in what system?

I'd go 4-3-3

Grant, Baird, Keogh, Pearce, Forsyth, Thorne, Bryson, Hughes, Weimann, Ince, Martin

This

Mine would be the same apart from maybe Buxton in for Pearce if he was fully fit

Mine too, but I don't think Buxton will be fully match fit come August 8th. 

I'd like Dawkins in there somewhere, but given Jamaica's terrific Gold Cup run, with an extended break I can't see him featuring until September at the earliest.

I'd go 4-3-3

It's tough on Russell (for me as I'd like to find a place for him) but I can't really fault this. It would do for me. 

Mine too, but I don't think Buxton will be fully match fit come August 8th. 

I'd like Dawkins in there somewhere, but given Jamaica's terrific Gold Cup run, with an extended break I can't see him featuring until September at the earliest.

If we end up using 4-1-3-2 for a large part of the season like we're using for today's friendly, I can see Dawkins flourishing there. Not having to worry as much about tracking back because there's 3 others helping him, him, Hughes and Thorne would keep the ball ridiculously well. Although I'd really prefer us to use 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 (If we signed another holding mid) but Clement knows best

Blunt reply is .. I have no idea ! Not seen any of the pre season games except for some clips. Baird, Pearce are really unknown quantities for me. Going to Villarreal game can I have a pass until then ? 

in a sense for that game I'd like to see a traditional 442 with the new boys in defence to see what they are like Thorne and Hughes in midfield. Weiman, Ince out wide and Bent Martin up front .. But it won't happen, doesn't play to those players strengths so is just a musing. I just feel there must be a way to have Martins holding ability and a poacher like Bent on the pitch at the same time. 

Defence needs to be a unit AND get the ball to the mids instead of passing sideways against teams that play a high line as happened too often last season 

Grant

Baird.     Pearce.     Buxton.   Forsyth

Thorne

Ince          Hughes      Russell

Martin.       Bent

I remember we tried that under NC, couldn't remember who against but we got absolutely battered in terms of chances, possession and territory. I think it was when we beat Watford away 1-0 in 2011/12.

It became like two five-a-side teams in one. Five attacking, and five defending. There was no cohesion or anything.

Since then, I've never been a fan of this system and can't think of any successful team that plays it.

I remember we tried that under NC, couldn't remember who against but we got absolutely battered in terms of chances, possession and territory. I think it was when we beat Watford away 1-0 in 2011/12.

It became like two five-a-side teams in one. Five attacking, and five defending. There was no cohesion or anything.

Since then, I've never been a fan of this system and can't think of any successful team that plays it.

We're playing it tonight and winning (so far)...

.......................Carson

baird.     Keogh.   Pearce.     Forsyth

......................thorne

ince............bryson.........russell

.........Martin..........weimann

......................................Carson.....................................

Baird..............Keogh...............Shackell..............Forsyth

.....................................Thorne.......................................

.............Bryson................................Hughes...................

Ince..............................Martin.........................Weimann

Bench; Who knows but ridiculously strong.

Grant

Isak Pearce  Baird  Forsyth

Thorne

Hendrick   Hughes

Ince     Martin   Weimann

Archived