Your starting XI for Bolton

Bris Vegas

Ince is best at the side of a diamond? Do you know how diamonds work?

Diamonds sparkle when you turn them.

A formation - any formation - must be able to accommodate flexibility

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Diamonds sparkle when you turn them.

A formation - any formation - must be able to accommodate flexibility

I don't know what that means - changing formations during a game? Or playing players out of position to be flexible?

If it's the first one then that formation would be very good if you wanted to change to a 4-2-4 in the second half. Which you'd probably have to do to pull it back from the 7-0 drubbing you'd get in the first half.

I don't know what that means - changing formations during a game? Or playing players out of position to be flexible?

If it's the first one then that formation would be very good if you wanted to change to a 4-2-4 in the second half. Which you'd probably have to do to pull it back from the 7-0 drubbing you'd get in the first half.

Interchange and rotation within a basic formation. It's not rocket science (although bakery is probably a bit too much for you to comprehend)

:P

Combinations, formations, configurations, systems, diamonds!
..................the lop sided parallelogram is the way forward!

Carson

Baird.                      Forsyth

.                                 Keogh                          Shackell           

Thorne.                     Hendrick             

Ince.                           Hughes 

Martin.                        Russell 

Interchange and rotation within a basic formation. It's not rocket science (although bakery is probably a bit too much for you to comprehend)

:P

Yeah but Eddie, certain formations ask players to perform certain roles. A midfield diamond is a formation with limited midfield width. The width is provided by fullbacks and strikers running the channels. The 'wide' midfield player will seldom make a run off the ball past the defensive line. What are we putting Ince and Russell there for? Give them the ball 40 yards out and tell them to a mazy run past 2 or 3 defenders? Is that how we play? 

The 'wide' midfield role also has heavy defensive duties in which they will be expected to perform ball winning duties against burly centre midfielders and at times, depending on how adventurous the fullbacks are being, they're also expected to cover at fullback - not helping the fullback out but actually covering for the fullback and playing the fullback role. So why not just play Ince at Left Back? Or get Nigel Clough back? He loved that stuff. 

Are you aware of any recent teams who play the midfield diamond with small, nippy wingers on the sides of a diamond with any success? Perhaps they're out there but I'm not aware of it. The position is best suited to a box to box midfielder like Hendrick or Bryson. Hughes did well at it vs Villareal but you could tell he was playing out of his skin.

In the diamond in Pre-season (2 games?), Ince played at the point and Russell played upfront. Hendrick and Hughes played on either side of the diamond (with Bryson replacing Hendrick) because that position needs the engine to run between attack and defense.

We'd never play the diamond with Ince or Russell at the left/right midfielder, I wouldn't imagine.

Total Football.

I'm sure some techi type whizzy can change the personnel on here!

holland.jpg

Couldn't see them winning many games if they're all constantly swapping places. No time to actually get on the ball. At least the GK will always be in goal.

Combinations, formations, configurations, systems, diamonds!
..................the lop sided parallelogram is the way forward!

Carson

Baird.                      Forsyth

.                                 Keogh                          Shackell           

Thorne.                     Hendrick             

Ince.                           Hughes 

Martin.                        Russell 

We look a little exposed down our right but by gum we are strong down the left!

1974 Holland World Cup Final team.....................:thumbsup:

I cant imagine how much the other teams in the tournament must have been swapping places then. Ball must've hardly been been kicked at all. 

I would go with this but looking at other suggestions I reckon we haven't found our plan A which is a good feeling. We will know more in a few months regarding tactics.

Derby v Bolton.jpg

I wouldn't be able to leave Hughes out, the lads have a fantastic pre-season. I reckon we'll start Bolton with the diamond, they don't really have the attacking threat necessary to turn to the two DM set-up in my opinion.

Hendricks has to start for me. 

Carson 

Baird.           Keogh.        Shackell.       Warnock 

Thorne.  

Hendrick.       Hughes. 

Ince

Wiemann

Bent.                                               

Hendricks has to start for me. 

Carson 

Baird.           Keogh.        Shackell.       Warnock 

Thorne.  

Hendrick.       Hughes. 

Ince

Wiemann

Bent.                                               

No Martin?:huh:

No Martin?:huh:

It is a massive call for this game but I think the pace of Bent , Ince and Wiemann will disrupt Bolton and that's why I've gone Bent. 

I wouldn't be worried either way between Martin or Bent being chosen but I think Bents pace behind could work well in this game as Bolton have defensive injuries for this game. 

It is a massive call for this game but I think the pace of Bent , Ince and Wiemann will disrupt Bolton and that's why I've gone Bent. 

I wouldn't be worried either way between Martin or Bent being chosen. 

I think Sammon could disrupt this Bolton side to be honest. Injury riddled. Just got to keep them out of the other end.

Archived