Nuture or Discipline?

RamLad1884

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though I don't disagree entirely harbour, I think some of today's players particularly at the top end of the game don't hold much truck with the old fashioned methods, in days gone by discipline was the norm at school and you just carried it on in your workplace (by and large)

Putting a player in his place is fine in theory, I believe there should be rules adhered to but some players are built up to think they are above all that. Have we got any such players ? I couldn't tell you but I do think today's players are a different animal to the Ron Webster's John Robson's etc.

I've often wondered how the Shankley's and Clough senior would deal with the Sterlings and other players that turn their noses up at a hundred grand a week.

Finding the right balance is the most important thing I reckon, anything too draconian and you risk players buggering off, too lackadaisical and they'll walk all over you and ultimately put you out of a job.

I think it's one of Clement's biggest test's this, get it right and he's laughing, get it wrong and he's down the road.

Though I don't disagree entirely harbour, I think some of today's players particularly at the top end of the game don't hold much truck with the old fashioned methods, in days gone by discipline was the norm at school and you just carried it on in your workplace (by and large)

Putting a player in his place is fine in theory, I believe there should be rules adhered to but some players are built up to think they are above all that. Have we got any such players ? I couldn't tell you but I do think today's players are a different animal to the Ron Webster's John Robson's etc.

I've often wondered how the Shankley's and Clough senior would deal with the Sterlings and other players that turn their noses up at a hundred grand a week.

Finding the right balance is the most important thing I reckon, anything too draconian and you risk players buggering off, too lackadaisical and they'll walk all over you and ultimately put you out of a job.

I think it's one of Clement's biggest test's this, get it right and he's laughing, get it wrong and he's down the road.

Nobody can question his coaching ability, but the big test for PC is can he pick the right team, will he have the right match day tactics. Will he have a plan 'B', does he have knowledge on the strengths and weakness's of all Derby's opponents. I do believe he as the players to do well in this league, but this is the first time as the number one for him. Lets hope the club got it right when they showed SM the door and went for Paul Clement.   

Nurture not nuture if it can be edited. No offence intended. This is a very good question. Some players need nurture and others need discipline.Players need to enjoy their football or it becomes hard work.The worst thing that I have witnessed on recent highlights is players blaming each other in public. This is almost always associated with pressure from staff to perform. If you have dropped a major one, you will be seeing it in replays on monday morning or the day following the match. Some players are maybe becoming nervous now. I watched the Derby v Wolves game yesterday and I saw a vibrant confident team. Wow, some things have gone out the window since then! Looked to me like Maclaren had done all that he could and now Paul Clement has got to rebuild that confidence.

Looking from the outside, it would appear we have lots of different types of player,  e.g. Russell needs a firm focus such as goalscoring, where as ince needs to have his ego groomed by the club. But different treatments for players can cause splits, so it'll be interesting to see a system/training program, in which all the players are satisfied. 

Some players need an arm around them, some need a bollocking. A one size fits all management style simply doesn't work. 

That's where Sir Alex had it nailed. He knew who to ******* and motivate that way, and who to put an arm around and protect. 

You always need some of both, but it depends on the situation. I think at this stage we need to kick some life into our lifeless players. Only when the season starts will we really know if Clement is managing to do that. Make sure they're aware they've got to work for their chances because another season of failure is unacceptable now.

Last season however after the disappointment of the playoffs, we needed the coaching staff to put an arm round them and get them to believe they could do it again. Instead we had the word 'failure' plastered around like it was going out of fashion. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.

Nobody can question his coaching ability, but the big test for PC is can he pick the right team, will he have the right match day tactics. Will he have a plan 'B', does he have knowledge on the strengths and weakness's of all Derby's opponents. I do believe he as the players to do well in this league, but this is the first time as the number one for him. Lets hope the club got it right when they showed SM the door and went for Paul Clement.   

You can have every tactic in the book, but if any players are incapable or unwilling to buy into it, then those players need to take a long, hard look at themselves in their mirrors as they leave via the exit - because there will be no place for them at DCFC. That's how it was in the past, and that's how it should be.

I don't hold truck with this nonsense about 'modern players need treating differently'. They are professional, and should be professional every minute of every day. That doesn't mean that there is no relaxation - of course there has to be balance, but you either buy into a philosophy or you hit the road and go somewhere where you are more 'comfortable', and the other club is perhaps more tolerant of weakness or failure.

Problem for PC  -  apart from the obvious that he is used to working with very talented players at a Spanish pace  -  is that he has inherited a group of over schooled players trained  to play in a rigid system...       The end of last season revealed just how unadaptable  they had become and how much individuality and flair had been drilled out of them 

This is the base line from which he has had to start work.    Old habits are hard to change.  We can't expect miracles. Neither can HE .  It will take time   to give the players back what was taken away from them.

Archived