Johnny Russell

DCFC1388

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he was the same after his injury. His performances matched the teams IMO basically CBA.

Saying that last game of the season felt bad for him when he won the penalty he was going mental in front of the south stand. Like he really wanted the play offs which was a shame always got on with the fans.

Saying that wouldn't mind funding torwards Ince like many others have said.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Cardiff-City-want-Rams-forward/story-26655743-detail/story.html

CARDIFF City  want to sign Derby County forward Johnny Russell, according to reports.

Bluebirds boss Russell Slade is targeting the Scotland international to provide competition  for wide men Craig Noone and Anthony Pilkington, says Wales Online.

Slade is also said to be weighing up an ambitious swoop for Ipswich Town  hot-shot Daryl Murphy.

Russell was previously linked with a move to Bournemouth in the January transfer window.

The 25-year-old made 46 appearances, including 31 starts, in all competitions  for the Rams in 2014-15, and scored eight goals.

He earned his third international cap on Friday, coming on as a substitute in Scotland's 1-0 friendly win over Qatar.

WTF?!?!?! Seriously Cardiff... Reality check time... 'to provide competition'... 

Russell is talented but his decision-making is generally bad. The number of passes he plays which hit the opposition is so annoying. He also suffers with lack of directness at times, running across the pitch in the gap between the midfield and defence, but lacks the vision to create a scoring opportunity at the end of that run. I think Ince is a much better player and I'd swap them in a second. If we keep Russell, though, I hope he develops an arrogance about his play. He needs to convince himself that he's better than the fullback he's facing.

Russell is talented but his decision-making is generally bad. The number of passes he plays which hit the opposition is so annoying. He also suffers with lack of directness at times, running across the pitch in the gap between the midfield and defence, but lacks the vision to create a scoring opportunity at the end of that run. I think Ince is a much better player and I'd swap them in a second. If we keep Russell, though, I hope he develops an arrogance about his play. He needs to convince himself that he's better than the fullback he's facing.

​Sometimes I wonder whether people on here watch a different team to me... We're all watching Derby County right? And this is the same Johnny Russell? Scottish? Beardy? Bit of a nutter? Breaks his cheekbone and carries on?

Yes all this negativity, I think the team were suffering as a collective at the end of the season, all our players early doors last season would have walked into any prem team according to people on this very forum.

You cannot get rid of "Braveheart", I think he lost confidence when they moved him around, left wing, centre forward.

​Sometimes I wonder whether people on here watch a different team to me... We're all watching Derby County right? And this is the same Johnny Russell? Scottish? Beardy? Bit of a nutter? Breaks his cheekbone and carries on?

​People like to be right.

They are setting their stall out so that they can say "I told you so - and the reason he has gone is xyz". So many folk like to say "I would do this, that and the other - if I were manager/chairman/coach we would do it this way". Can't blame them for it - we all have a bit of the Walter Mitty gene inside us. Some more than others.

​Nutter? Jamie Ward was a nutter. Russell strikes me as being too nice.

Russell is a capable championship player, but that's about it, he's middle of the road and i wouldn't class him as a "top 6 player" his work rate is fantastic, then again so is Conor Sammons. . .  work rate doesn't automatically equal a good player, his finishing needs a lot of work and his decision making at times is poor. For the right price, and providing we have a replacement who is up there as a "top 6" player then i would certainly take the offer. 

​Nutter? Jamie Ward was a nutter. Russell strikes me as being too nice.

​Anyone who plays through a broken cheekbone classifies as nutter for me... He has the same tendencies as Wardy did to just carry on running even when he knows full well a defender is gonna munch him... Most players these days tend to back out if they think they're gonna get hit... Ward and Russell don't... they take the hit and then try and walk it off... 

I still think it's why Ward spent so much time injured... 

Russell is a capable championship player, but that's about it, he's middle of the road and i wouldn't class him as a "top 6 player" his work rate is fantastic, then again so is Conor Sammons. . .  work rate doesn't automatically equal a good player, his finishing needs a lot of work and his decision making at times is poor. For the right price, and providing we have a replacement who is up there as a "top 6" player then i would certainly take the offer. 

:huh:

​Johnny Russell last season - 30 apps - 8 goals 

Tom Ince last season - 18 apps - 11 goals 

Ince is that "top 6 quality" we need, goals win games, "trying hard" can only get you so far 

Ince could of bagged 20 easily if we had him all season. Can't ever see Russell doing that. Although I like him as others have pointed out his final ball decision and finishing have been questionable at times

Ince could of bagged 20 easily if we had him all season. Can't ever see Russell doing that. Although I like him as others have pointed out his final ball decision and finishing have been questionable at times

​exactly, don't get me wrong i like Johnny to, his passion is great and he works hard but like i said that will only get you so far when you are pushing for promotion, we need ruthless quality and Ince has that in abundance 

Russell is a 7/10 Championship player; top six standard but not a key man by any means. I'd swap him for Craig Noone if that was an option. 

Ince is a 9/10 Championship player; match winning quality, who scares the living ***** out of defenders.

Russell's a good player, we've all seen that, and at the minute our best wide man. We need at least two to cover the losses of Ward, Lingard and Ince. If Russell goes that would make it three or even four.

​Johnny Russell last season - 30 apps - 8 goals 

Tom Ince last season - 18 apps - 11 goals 

Ince is that "top 6 quality" we need, goals win games, "trying hard" can only get you so far 

​You're complaining that a winger only scored 1 in 3? (ish)

Ince is Premier League quality... He's a phenomenal player... Russell is definitely top 6 championship quality...

I think Russell's a really handy player, clearly talented and like every other professional football he plays best when he's confident and in a position he is familiar with. Can't say he was either of those two for the majority of games since Xmas.

He's never going to step up to the quality that Ince can produce etc but what I like the most is he's a player that still gives you something when he's not effecting the game with his attacking ability, an absolute pleasure of a player to play with if you're a full back! He doesn't go missing, he get's stuck in, chases lost causes and fights for every ball and that en-devour definitely makes up for him not being Cristiano Ronaldo on the ball.

Good player, would be sad to lose him. I'd be more than happy if he's starting on the wing for Derby County in the Championship come August..

Archived