Johnny Russell

DCFC1388

​You're complaining that a winger only scored 1 in 3? (ish)

Ince is Premier League quality... He's a phenomenal player... Russell is definitely top 6 championship quality...

If Russell is a top 6 player.... Why are only Cardiff after him allegedly?

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russell is a capable championship player, but that's about it, he's middle of the road and i wouldn't class him as a "top 6 player" his work rate is fantastic, then again so is Conor Sammons. . .  work rate doesn't automatically equal a good player, his finishing needs a lot of work and his decision making at times is poor. For the right price, and providing we have a replacement who is up there as a "top 6" player then i would certainly take the offer. 

​Johnny Russell last season - 30 apps - 8 goals 

Tom Ince last season - 18 apps - 11 goals 

Ince is that "top 6 quality" we need, goals win games, "trying hard" can only get you so far 

​Did you go to the game vs Chelsea out of interest?

Against a very decent full-back in Filipe Luis, Russell was outstanding. He really stood out that night as a player that could potentially make the step up to the Premier League, never mind top 6.

Ince is simply a class above, a rare player at this level because he has the ability to win a game on his own. I believe he should be playing in the Premier League next season, despite hoping we will sign him.

​Because he's already playing for a club which should be challenging for the top 2? Maybe? Because clubs know there aren't many/any bigger teams in the league at the moment than us? 

Can see both points.... But I just think he will be on preiphary of the first eleven.... He was our MAJOR signing before start of 2013/14.... A 20 goal a season man I was told by many... 

Also was brought in primarily as a central player as well.

Too be fair I will compare him to other wingers... Is he better than Nathan Redmond?

Jota?

Anya?

Dicko?

Was he really better than Jamie Ward?

Not going to be popular here but Antonio?

Was he better than Ince?

Was he better than Lingard?

(these two and Ward were ahead of Russell before Wardy was injured)

Adomah?

Paul Anderson? (Maybe unpopular)

He's a hardworker... But that only gets you so far.

Out of all the players over the last two seasons. He's the one who has disappointed me the most. Especially with all the talk of him scoring hatful of goals....

Wouldnt be surprised if he ended up back in the pub league again... I'm sure Celtic will come calling again... 

Love to be proved wrong.... I'm not a told you so guy.... 

Whats how he done in a one off game against Filipe Luis got to do with anything?

I remember playing Chelsea the season before last and Mason Bennett ripped Ashley Cole to shreds. Doesnt mean a thing. Players often rise to the big games when facing big name players.

Id focus more on what he does over the course of a season which isnt a great deal.

Happy if he stays but equally not bothered if he goes.

​Because they want to be a top 6 team?

​Because they want to be a top 6 team?

I think... That Cardiff and a various number of clubs in the Championship are in a middle of a restructuring and consolidation faze.... Even though I imagine they at they want top 6, I imagine that they would be happy sitting around mid table for a few seasons...

Think a lot of clubs will look that way this season. I don't think the Championship will be wide open next season because of it

Whats how he done in a one off game against Filipe Luis got to do with anything?

I remember playing Chelsea the season before last and Mason Bennett ripped Ashley Cole to shreds. Doesnt mean a thing. Players often rise to the big games when facing big name players.

Id focus more on what he does over the course of a season which isnt a great deal.

Happy if he stays but equally not bothered if he goes.

​Shows he can rise to the occasion in the games that matter...

Mason Bennett came on as a sub whereas Russell maintained the high standards throughout the game.

I'd advise watching the highlights of the home game vs Wolves last season to see what sort of input he has. He's a great player at this level and offers a lot defensively as well.

​Shows he can rise to the occasion in the games that matter...

Mason Bennett came on as a sub whereas Russell maintained the high standards throughout the game.

I'd advise watching the highlights of the home game vs Wolves last season to see what sort of input he has. He's a great player at this level and offers a lot defensively as well.

You're picking out odd games where he has played well.

Go and watch every game Russell has played and see how many times he turns up. 

​Define 'turns up'...

Russell doesn't have the same star factor that Ince possesses but that doesn't mean he is invaluable as a winger by any stretch. 

His defensive work and tireless running add an extra element to his game most wingers don't possess. Also, the number of assists he got this season was pretty high, especially pre-January.

I often think a lot of what Russell does well goes un-noticed. He works so hard for the team, especially off the ball but it's often overshadowed by occasional mistakes on the ball.

The 'odd games' I mentioned are ones where he has gone over and above his average industrial play. If he can develop a consistency to his game, he will be good enough to be playing in the Premier League.

​Dude... You're making me sad... So prophetic in the transfer market and so wrong on the day to day...

The fitness of players we already have will be a big part of the start of the season.

When Thorne , Russell and Martin have played together we have been terrific , if Clement can start with those three ,and then improve the team we will pi  win the league in a canter IMHO. .

​Dude... You're making me sad... So prophetic in the transfer market and so wrong on the day to day...

Not wrong at all. Its an opinion. Posters on here might agree some might not. Everyone has players they dont rate as much as others.

I said at the start of the season it would be a big season for Russell. He didnt do enough for me. 

I like the bloke. He works his arse off. Ive said I will be happy if he stays but equally I wouldnt lose any sleep at all if the right offer came in and we got rid. 

Not wrong at all. Its an opinion. Posters on here might agree some might not. Everyone has players they dont rate as much as others.

I said at the start of the season it would be a big season for Russell. He didnt do enough for me. 

I like the bloke. He works his arse off. Ive said I will be happy if he stays but equally I wouldnt lose any sleep at all if the right offer came in and we got rid. 

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived