The 1884 Group

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't buy this whole fan bashing that go's on, blaming atmosphere on a poor performance. Granted atmosphere may help, but on a Tuesday night when people are tired from work stood in the cold and are watching a shocking effort from players you can see why the atmosphere is dull. The players are being paid to do a job, when I'm sat at my desk struggling for motivation I don't get 28,000 people geeing me on, I get on with it because that's what I'm paid to do.

If people feel they are being dictated to, to make an atmosphere they are less likely to do it. If they have something to sing and cheer about they will do so.

I'm not blaming the performance on the atmosphere and I agree that everyone has the right to what they want at matches they've paid to attend.

BUT

I don't understand how anyone thinks that booing and swearing or sitting in passive silence is going to contribute positively. Purely in my opinion, a bit of noise and support from 28000 people MAY have made a difference.

If motivation isn't a necessity why are there so many motivational speakers earning lots of cash around? 

Trouble is I suppose that different things motivate different people. A wealthy person once said to me that big pay days only get you so far, you need other reasons to get out of bed in the morning and really go for it. 

4 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

If motivation isn't a necessity why are there so many motivational speakers earning lots of cash around? 

Trouble is I suppose that different things motivate different people. A wealthy person once said to me that big pay days only get you so far, you need other reasons to get out of bed in the morning and really go for it. 

They have a manager, team mates and a captain who's actual job it is to motivate. Yes noise helps and its a great feeling when PP is rocking, but it isn't going to happen every game.

22 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I don't buy this whole fan bashing that go's on, blaming atmosphere on a poor performance. Granted atmosphere may help, but on a Tuesday night when people are tired from work stood in the cold and are watching a shocking effort from players you can see why the atmosphere is dull. The players are being paid to do a job, when I'm sat at my desk struggling for motivation I don't get 28,000 people geeing me on, I get on with it because that's what I'm paid to do.

If people feel they are being dictated to, to make an atmosphere they are less likely to do it. If they have something to sing and cheer about they will do so.

I'm kinda sat on the fence to this whole "how much of a difference does a good atmosphere make" debate. Yes, the players should be motivated to win as it's their job but i'm sure if i had 28,000 people cheering me on while i'm sat at my desk i'd be working pretty damn hard (and not sat on DCFCfans like i am now :ph34r:)

6 minutes ago, MK said:

I'm kinda sat on the fence to this whole "how much of a difference does a good atmosphere make" debate. Yes, the players should be motivated to win as it's their job but i'm sure if i had 28,000 people cheering me on while i'm sat at my desk i'd be working pretty damn hard (and not sat on DCFCfans like i am now :ph34r:)

Id still have to log on with the 28k in attendance so I could moan about the boo brigade that have trolled me because of my bad grammar. 

4 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

I'm not blaming the performance on the atmosphere and I agree that everyone has the right to what they want at matches they've paid to attend.

BUT

I don't understand how anyone thinks that booing and swearing or sitting in passive silence is going to contribute positively. Purely in my opinion, a bit of noise and support from 28000 people MAY have made a difference.

You're right about booing during the match, but afterwards is fair game to me on what was served up. 

During the game it's a bit carrot and stick, the fans went flat last night with what they saw, I did notice a bit of an attempt to lift the team 2nd half but when they didn't really respond and Reading kept over running us, it went at best flat, at worst all moan on.

Moving on I wasn't around on this forum to express an opinion on the music, but it baffled me why it was turned down. Fair point it's hard to accommodate 28,000 fans musical tastes in a few signature tunes, but for crying out at least it generates some atmosphere. You only have to look at pro boxers, well many ring fighters to see how a bit of music cranks up the atmosphere before a fight and no doubt pumps up the contenders. Regardless of arguments in salary - some boxers get in the ring for millions, always remember Chris Eubank coming out to Simply the Best, I can understand why players and management might have wanted to keep it loud, to fuel extra adrenaline, when the music stops and the match starts the fans have to carry the atmosphere on.

Way too quiet for me before the game, whatever stand you're in. I'm one for changing it back and crank it up please, always thought that Blind Faith was very apt at the time, but the dam busters would be good because at least the south stand would start up in tandem. 

Forgive me if this has been done, but why don't the club come up with a few suggestions in an online poll?

1 hour ago, YouRams said:

The atmosphere was flat before a ball was kicked last night and even when the players were being announced there wasn't the normal cheering and clapping, you can't blame the performance for that.

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

The atmosphere was flat before a ball was kicked last night and even when the players were being announced there wasn't the normal cheering and clapping, you can't blame the performance for that.

Yeah that was odd, pretty much only Blackman got any sort of cheer. As I said in another thread, the South Stand just stood there silent when asked by the announcer for a song.

Cold nights always seem to have this dampening effect on the atmosphere.

I've often thought that we need our own anthem. SBW just isn't a stirring song and doesn't build any atmosphere. If we could find a song which 90% of supporters joined in with, it would get everyone warmed up ready to keep on singing after kick off.

The problem is, what song? I struggle to think of any obvious ones. My best idea, which is topical for obvious reasons, is Heroes by David Bowie. With a few lyrical tweets it could work.

I've got a chant to try, one that could go on for quite a while, so would fill that awkward atmosphere gap (between kick off and the final whistle :) ).

It's on the lines of the Man City Yaya Toure chant, but with our own twist, a bit England cricket Barmy army, to the tune of no limits.

Start off with Keogh, then Bradley Johnson (someone tried to get this bit going a few weeks ago), but then add another player each time, and after sing his player song (bear with me), then start again with Keogh, so:

Keogh, Keogh Keogh, Keogh Keogh, Keogh Keogh Keogh.

Bradley, Bradley Johnson, Bradley Johnson, Bradley Bradley Johnson.

one Bradley Johnson, There's only one Bradley Johnson, one Bradley Johnson, There's only one Bradley Johnson.

Bradley, Bradley Bradley, Bradley Bradley, Bradley Bradley Johnson.

Chrissy, Chrissy Martin, Chrissy Martin, Chrissy Chrissy Martin.

so come on Chrissy Martin, score some goals for Derby, we go wild wild wild, we go wild wild wild.

Bradley, Bradley Johnson, Bradley Johnson, Bradley Bradley Johnson.

Chrissy, Chrissy Martin, Chrissy Martin, Chrissy Chrissy Martin.

Johnny, Johnny Russell, Johnny Russell, Johnny Johnny Russell.

super super John, super super John, super super John, super Johnny Russell.

Keogh, Keogh Keogh, Keogh Keogh, etc.

12 hours ago, The 1884 Group said:

Last night was a bit of a, and I really like this word, and feel it apt, clusterfuck, from start to finish.

We had to move all the flags to North Stand only as we don't have enough volunteers to manage the whole stadium every game. Nobody told the announcer so he ended up telling everyone to wave flags when there weren't any! I will be feeding back to the club that all we need is him to say the players are coming out and lets hear you. So later than at present.

As for the music, majority of fans wanted it turning down. The players and manager didn't by the way! So we got it turned down, and now nobody sings pre-match, we can't have it both ways!!!

The whole game was crap but we, as fans, have to take responsibility too. Even Steve Bloomer's Watching was pathetic. We seem to be so reactive as fans, if things don't go our way, it's either like going to the theatre with people saying "entertain me", or it gets poisonous like last night where every mistake is pulled apart. It started after 6 minutes last night. Now the football was awful last night, and everyone has the right to go to the football to vent their frustrations, but surely we all realise it's not going to motivate the team to do better.

The million dollar question is, how do we change that culture? Any ideas welcome.

Sorry but I can't agree that the moaning started after 6 minutes.

it was much earlier than that.

I agree with 1884 Group, some fans moaning after 6 mins in is a joke, so when, the moaners start, let's all start chanting at them, if you gonna moan then **** off home, if  you gonna moan then **** off home. Made be a bit harsh but some fans, just go to moan, last night was poor, but for me when the going gets tough the tough gets going, so last night, we was needed by dcfc to get behind the team , it's easy to get behind a team when everything is going well, but last night the team did not show up, and the fans were just as poor.Its been a good season so far, so let's not lose sight of that, and against Blues on Saturday lets get behind the lads and drive them on to victory, who is with me, let's get behind the team on Saturday, as it's a very important game, and I am sure that we can get the 3 points, and put Tuesday night to bed.

3 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

I agree with 1884 Group, some fans moaning after 6 mins in is a joke, so when, the moaners start, let's all start chanting at them, if you gonna moan then **** off home, if  you gonna moan then **** off home. Made be a bit harsh but some fans, just go to moan, last night was poor, but for me when the going gets tough the tough gets going, so last night, we was needed by dcfc to get behind the team , it's easy to get behind a team when everything is going well, but last night the team did not show up, and the fans were just as poor.Its been a good season so far, so let's not lose sight of that, and against Blues on Saturday lets get behind the lads and drive them on to victory, who is with me, let's get behind the team on Saturday, as it's a very important game, and I am sure that we can get the 3 points, and put Tuesday night to bed.

Unfortunately they'll find something to moan or thing like that.  Can't please them all! 

Archived