The 1884 Group

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AnimalisaRam said:

Some might say you'll strike a chord with that pun.

I just think you're stringing us along.

That's the pick of the bunch.

The issue with looking at how a lot of these teams do it is that it involves "capos" who direct the singing from the front.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I just can't see folk going for that at Derby! There is also the recognition that if you go in the Yellow Wall, you are expected to sing non-stop. If you don't you will be reminded about the other stands you can sit in.

Perhaps there should be 1 or 2 blocks at the Ipro that is given over for non-stop singing and flag waving all through the match. We have had no discussion with the club about that, but it's an idea. The thing is, how many people would genuinely want to be there? It feels to me like we need a little reorganisation in the South Stand, but people get quite precious about the specific seats they have.

DCFC, especially Jed Buxton and Mel are totally focused on making the matchday experience better and are open to ideas. They recognise things like catering, concourses and kid activities are important. Hopefully we can help them when it comes to fans who want to affect the atmosphere.

Here's one idea - decide on a pub in the city centre, all meet there at 215, then all walk to the ground together, getting songs started on the way there, waving flags, etc, etc so by the time we get to the stadium, we're already warmed up! Would anyone actually join in though?

We definitely need some new songs and a lot of people here have posted some really good ones (and some not so good ones), it's just a matter of getting the right people to get them going. An absolutely fantastic job has been done on the visuals, we now need to make the noise to compliment it.

If anyone knows the right people we should really start pushing to get more than the same 4 songs going at games, based on the most popular suggestions in this thread and the other one I've seen around

The best chants are easy to remember, with a simple melody that can be belted out with minimal effort - evidenced by the songs that we already hear the most (since I was young, and that other timeless classic - woooaah woooaah lalalallalalala etc)

I've posted it before but this is a perfect example and I think it would sound amazing in a packed iPro, especially together with all the great visual work done by 1884:

It's only got like 4 words and the words Derby/DCFC/Derby County would already fit perfectly in there. Let's make it happen

1 minute ago, The 1884 Group said:

The issue with looking at how a lot of these teams do it is that it involves "capos" who direct the singing from the front.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I just can't see folk going for that at Derby! There is also the recognition that if you go in the Yellow Wall, you are expected to sing non-stop. If you don't you will be reminded about the other stands you can sit in.

Perhaps there should be 1 or 2 blocks at the Ipro that is given over for non-stop singing and flag waving all through the match. We have had no discussion with the club about that, but it's an idea. The thing is, how many people would genuinely want to be there? It feels to me like we need a little reorganisation in the South Stand, but people get quite precious about the specific seats they have.

DCFC, especially Jed Buxton and Mel are totally focused on making the matchday experience better and are open to ideas. They recognise things like catering, concourses and kid activities are important. Hopefully we can help them when it comes to fans who want to affect the atmosphere.

Here's one idea - decide on a pub in the city centre, all meet there at 215, then all walk to the ground together, getting songs started on the way there, waving flags, etc, etc so by the time we get to the stadium, we're already warmed up! Would anyone actually join in though?

Why not pass your playlist on to the club and get them to play your tunes over the pa system.

The crowd seem to manage to sing along to Steve Bloomer's watching once prompted 

There are plenty of clubs that meet up in pubs every few weeks to have a few beers, chat about football and try out some new songs, happy to arrange something if enough people are interested.

Like you said, the issue is finding people who

1. Are willing to stand up and get them started

2. Sit with people who will join in around them

Maybe that is solved with a dedicated block, maybe as Nick said, it's about getting them started at away games, who knows? But, happy to give it a go! Issue for me is, I sit in a part of the South Stand that won't join in if I start them (Block G)

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Why not pass your playlist on to the club and get them to play your tunes over the pa system.

The crowd seem to manage to sing along to Steve Bloomer's watching once prompted 

Could do, although it feels like we would be imposing our choices on people, I'd rather see if they take off with 50-100 Rams fans first, then we can bin the crap ones!

People don't stand up and get things going like they used to that's for sure. The Brighton game there just seemed loads of reluctance from people to sing, it was so lacklustre. Atmosphere seems to disappear as soon as we look to be playing below par or struggling, I think that is a major issue these days. Feels like when I got my first ST back around 2000 we'd sing no matter what, SE corner was always up for it regardless.

I've thought about how things could be improved quite a bit and just drawn the conclusion this is where modern football is heading. Apathetic mindset of people these days. I'd move the south stand but I like having a decent view, maybe people like me are the problem?

I think the traditional chants are better TBH, rather how long chants of "Come on you raaaaams" or similar. Sounds far better than since I was young to me. Much more gusto to it.

31 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:
4 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

People don't stand up and get things going like they used to that's for sure. The Brighton game there just seemed loads of reluctance from people to sing, it was so lacklustre. Atmosphere seems to disappear as soon as we look to be playing below par or struggling, I think that is a major issue these days. Feels like when I got my first ST back around 2000 we'd sing no matter what, SE corner was always up for it regardless.

I've thought about how things could be improved quite a bit and just drawn the conclusion this is where modern football is heading. Apathetic mindset of people these days. I'd move the south stand but I like having a decent view, maybe people like me are the problem?

I think the traditional chants are better TBH, rather how long chants of "Come on you raaaaams" or similar. Sounds far better than since I was young to me. Much more gusto to it.

I think that texting has made us even more self conscious about expressing ourselves vocally.

I have been to Christmas shows and churches recently and when prompted to sing, those present managed scarcely a murmur.

Perhaps we should all have a drum to beat!

49 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

I'd walk to the ground with you, gizza shout when you pass the Telegraph.

that video above sounds like Paul Clements Black and White army, again doesn't sound the same when it's murmured self consciously through a cup of bovril!

But no, you're right about the capo, wouldn't work at all.

Seems strange we're talking about re-organising the SS already, I think one of the problems was that it was just seen as the cheap alternative, so a lot of people in there are not too bothered, now anyone who wants to move accross for the singing can't get in.

2 hours ago, curb said:

Also they can take drink onto the terraces, so they probably think they might as well go in the ground and have a drink there.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 1884 are doing a great job, and it's improved immeasurably in the last few years, but we need to get that culture back of supporting the team through thick and thin. 

Like I have said before.......The modern supporter tends to be more of a critic than a fan. Its all to do with TV punditry.

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Like I have said before.......The modern supporter tends to be more of a critic than a fan. Its all to do with TV punditry.

I think you could have hit the nail on the head there.

theres far too much live football on the telly nowadays, and far too much time dedicated on analysing every mistake, every goal. Players make mistakes, players lose (loose?) form, and everyone expects a Championship player to perform like a Prem player on 50m a year or whatever.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived