End of Season review-Daisy Cutter

ColonelBlimp

i've agreed to do an end of season review for the daisy cutter (http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/) but i thought it would be better to collate the views of everyone on here first particularly as most of you guys are regular attendees at the iPro and I'm not.

Questions they want answered are as below and only need to give a couple of lines for each. Obviously no.7 is a bit of a non-starter for us!

Will collate any answers and go for the most common ones unless there's a nominated spokesperson?

Cheers in advance!

1/ How did your club fare compared to your pre-season hopes/expectation?

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

3/ Season’s low point?

4/ Player of the year

5/ Was there a particular goal/moment that got you out of your seat?

6/ Player you’d be happiest see leave this summer

7/ Want your manager to still be in charge for next term?

8/ You can go back in time and offer the gaffer one bit of advice prior to the season just gone based on what you know is to come. What would it be?

9/ Which opposing player received the loudest boos and which opposing player impressed you the most?

10/ If at all, how did the media’s portrayal of your club in 2014/15 differ from the reality?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I expected top six and was quietly confident about promotion, so slightly lower than expectations.

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

Probably the 5-0 win against Wolves. Got to be one of the few complete performances this season that matched up the 2013/14 season standards. We've been very good in other games this season but Wolves didn't get a sniff.

3/ Season’s low point?

Do I need to answer? 2nd May.

4/ Player of the year

Martin for me. Hughes closely followed

Yes. The equaliser for Birmingham to make it 2-2. It got me off my seat because I was out the door.

Tough one. I feel all our players have something to offer, the consensus will probably say Keogh. I'll say Warnock but I just feel that if all goes to plan he's not needed.

Erm... :ph34r:

8/ You can go back in time and offer the gaffer one bit of advice prior to the season just gone based on what you know is to come. What would it be?

JUST SAY NO STEVE!!!!

9/ Which opposing player received the loudest boos and which opposing player impressed you the most?

Not sure about boos. Pritchard impressed me the most.

10/ If at all, how did the media’s portrayal of your club in 2014/15 differ from the reality?

Well they certainly wouldn't let the Newcastle thing go... then again nor would some of us

1 bang in line until 5 minutes into the last game of the season.

2 Bucko taking out the red dog at City Ground.

3 Boro away, no plan, no ambition, no chance! 

4 Will Hughes, so good the prem can't see it?

5 Tom Ince against Millwall away, cut in With 1 min left on clock, curled a shot and thought it was destined for bottom corner, was celebrating as it went past the  post!

6 Hendrick, for good money mind.

7 Yes

8 Tell ashley to fook right off

9 Loudest boos Mackie,  most impressive Obits. 

10. Not as good as they made out!

Hoped/expected/demanded top 6

We came 8th. Overall, just not good enough.

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

Probably 5-0 v Wolves

3/ Season’s low point?

Last game against Reading. A true indicator that all was not well.

4/ Player of the year

Hughes probably. Martin or Russell if they'd stayed fit.

Ince debut free kick.

Hendrick. I just think we can get better with the money he's probably worth.

Erm......

Love us. Want us. Sing it from the rooftops.

Bamford and Bamford

Reasonably accurate.

Expected top six & promotion, got neither so under performed. 

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

Wolves 5-0

3/ Season’s low point?

The abject display v Reading. 

4/ Player of the year

Martin 

Most of the season before Feb. 

Keogh 

Lol!! 

As someone has said- love us & be loyal. 

Bamford- Bamford. 

Over hyped at the beginning, not critical enough in the rough spot, patronising at the end. 

Woefully. Should have been top two, with playoffs being the hard way and a bad season. Not getting the playoffs is atrocious

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

Fulham (H) 5-1. They made it so easy for us at the end. Fun to watch a team capitulate when your team benefits.

3/ Season’s low point?

Final game. Reading (H)

4/ Player of the year

Will Hughes. Only consistent one imo.

Strangely enough, Chris Martin scoring for us at Wigan away. The atrocious pitch (and the atrocious football) felt like we were never going to win ever again. But when he scored that it felt like "Wow, he's back to save us". That was short-lived, but I was quite excited at that point :(

I'm never happy to see anyone leave... But I would be least disappointed to see Conor Sammon move on, even though I quite like the guy and would always wish him the best.

I didn't before, and now he won't. I'd like to end that with a "HAPPY DAYS EH?!" but it's more like bittersweet days because we should not still be in this league. But hey ho, I like watching us win so...

You all know what I'm going to say. Focus on Derby Steve, your loyalty to us will get you the glory you desire. Your disloyalty will just make you unemployed and embarrassed.

Would he listen to that though? Hell no he wouldn't, because he's selfish. Onwards and upwards.

Not so sure about boos. Chris Gunter is never popular and he played against us 4 times. Gareth McCleary got racial abuse from the turdstain seated behind me when he celebrated his goal to make it 3-0 on the final day. Just sort of capped off the day really that did. Never liked that guy, and I wasn't shocked to hear he was also a racist. Hope he's gone next season.

This won't be popular but Mikhail Antonio impressed me back in September at the City Ground. Made Ryan Shotton look like an under-7s defender. And that was a shock because he's normally at least under-15s level.

They portrayed us as the favourites and we finished 8th. They are portraying us now as the villains in sacking Mac but that's just for a sob story that their readers will buy into. They portrayed us as a bit clueless at the end, and you know what? They got that one spot ******* on.

Badly. I expected an automatic place. I'd argue huge bad luck was what did for us, in terms of injuries and officiating.

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

The Wolves 5-0 home game looked to be the point we might start to pull away.

3/ Season’s low point?

Birmingham at home. You knew it wasn't going to be our year. Desperate for a win to get back on track for automatic, and 2-0 up in the third minute of three minutes of injury time, the ref (Iain Williamson) points to the spot to give Brum a pen for no reason. A terrible decision. They score. He plays four more minutes of injury time (seven in total) and at the end, Brum score again after clear fouling in the penalty area. Referees bring the hatred upon themselves. I believe those decisions cost us >£100m. All we needed at that point was one win and we'd have stormed the league.

4/ Player of the year

Always Hughesy

All of Ince's were spectacular.

Conor Sammon - how has no one mentioned him so far?

If only...

Get a giant stonking Ram tatooed on your forehead and there's a very slim chance people will believe you.

Bamford. And Jota

The local media have lost a lot of their links to the club. They wanted a story and to feel important again. So, they refused to believe the manager was committed, continually questioning him, always saying "there's no smokle without fire", causing great unease among the fans who think what the media says is true, which appeared to transmit itself to the board, causing the manager to be sacked. I'm confident the manager was always committed to the Derby cause, but unwilling to play the media game.

Expected play offs. Fancied top 2. Unbelievable not to finish top 6.

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

Tom Ince

3/ Season’s low point?

Huge game v Reading and we were hopeless

4/ Player of the year

Hughes.

Wolves 5-0. Russell's goal v Brighton. All the Fulham games. The defeat at Craven Cottage was painful to watch and I could have hurt Cyrus Christie that day

Sammon.

yep. 

Forget clean sheets and patience. Reckless works fine

Bamford. Pritchard

They made out Ibe was way way more important than he was. 

1/ How did your club fare compared to your pre-season hopes/expectation?

never really got into the groove. 5th would have been ok. 8th was poor. 

But it all comes down to conceding just one less goal.

refereeing decision v millwall?

lee grants comedy antics?

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

Jake buxton sending off v forest.

absolute classic bucko.

3/ Season’s low point?

Derby 0 Reading 3

4/ Player of the year

Will hughes - until that back pass v reading

the refs whistle on 90 minutes.

ryan shotton

yes but too late now

don't injure george thorne

can't remember any opponent getting booed?

best opponent: alex pritchard

the media were very slow to recognise that the wheels had come off.

I expected that, barring catastrophic injuries, we would win the league with free-flowing attacking football. We were top when the injuries tightened began clutching at our neck, so I'm having that one. 

With regards to to our attacking football though, I was off. We still scored lots of goals but we just lacked something, a bit of swagger or naively maybe. The only time this season, for me, that we were at our true attacking best was the opening 20 minutes against Brighton at home. We were relentless… and then we looked to just control the game from our third goal until the end.

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

Beating Ipswich away 1-0. Probably the first time I can remember us beating a direct automatic promotion rival (at that time). 

3/ Season’s low point?

The news that Thorne was injured again pre-Fulham. For me, that's when the good feeling went.

4/ Player of the year

Hughes. One of the few players that looked capable of coping with the high-press we were facing and on numerous occasions was forced into taking the game by the stuff of the neck.

That god-awful referring decision, sending Camp off rather than playing advantage and allowing us a goal, had just about the whole ground off it's feet!

Sammon.

Well… 

Take the shackles off and grow a pair. Just attack relentlessly. 

Dunno.

Ben Osborn taught Hendrick, Bryson and Mascarell a lesson… but he himself was taught a lesson by Hughes before he went off injured. 

Bamford played like a man possessed against us, absoloutley bullied Keogh. 

We were made out to be massive spenders when in reality we're still living within our means.

Ibe's importance was overstated. 

1) I expected automatic promotion, so disappointing. 

2) Fulham away in the cup. I know they had a weakened team out but what a night that was. 

3) Quite a few low points but I suppose it has to be Reading. Forest at home was anger, this was disappointment.

4) Chrissy Martin for me. Best striker at Derby for a long time. I love him, maybe even more than Dawkins.

5) Wasn't a great game or performance but Martin's penalty against Blackpool. And now you gotta believe us...

6) It's already done. Jamie Ward 

7) Yes

8) Tough times will come, but keep playing our own game. Play Dawkins up front instead of Russell.

9) I'm not really sure about booing. Pritchard looked class but it wasn't exactly hard. You can't really argue with what Bamford did either.

10) I just wish they would leave us alone, or that everyone would ignore them. Cause nothing but trouble.

1) I expected playoffs with strong hope of promotion so I was disappointed but not overly

2) Fulham away in league cup- one of my few away matches this season, it was a great night on the pitch (coming back from 2 down to win 5-2) and the atmosphere was cracking at a cheap pay on the gate price ;)

3) Reading wasn't too much of a low for me as I had expected such a result  as I checked the results frantically whilst at a wedding :/ For me I would say Boro away just for how much we were outclassed by a promotion rival...

4) Martin- scored some crucial goals and his absence resulted in-part for our form capitulation 

5) Ince first goal free kick against Bolton at home- after losing Ibe this moment gave me hope that our title bid was back on with a quality winger whilst JR was injured (however no matter how good Ince was the defence ruined that :( ) 

6) Don't mind as long as not Martin or Hughes and as long as we can replace them

7) I would have stuck with McClaren

8) DON'T PLAY THORNE AGAINST ZENIT IN PRE-SEASON

9) I really hate Bamford but as I wasn't at either Boro match I booed him from home, coincidentally he was one of the most impressive players we faced but I would say the best was Pritchard

10) We were percieved as the big club who had bought the league against little underdogs like Bournemouth and Brentford and Ipswich when in truth we were always admittedly punching above our weight (due to our defence)

Expected to walk the league prior to Thorne's pre season injury. Still expected to go up, and play offs was perceived to be the bare minimum. Needless to say, very disappointed with finishing 8th

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

Back to back victorys vs Watford and Wolves

3/ Season’s low point?

Forest at home. And Leon Clark hitting the post for Wolves against us, I had a fiver on 5-1

4/ Player of the year

Will Hughes

Shotton's at the City Ground

Keogh or Grant or Forsyth or Christie. Preferably all 4 of them

No comment

Buy an entire new defence, a goalkeeper and a captain

Bamford didn't get the best reception, personally I don't see why. Did a great job for us and would have him back in a heartbeat. Derby fans can't expect him to stop supporting Forest and to get DCFC tattooed on his forehead because we had him on loan for 5 months. 

Deeney or Guedioura

Over estimated us massively

Hoped for top 6 at least, always tough but dropping out the last day was bitter after a dire run of form

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

Either Derby 5 - 0 Wolves or Derby 5 - 2 Fulham

3/ Season’s low point?

Last day of the season... :(

4/ Player of the year

Will Hughes, although Martin would've walked it if he didn't get injured

Dawkins vs Fulham - Backheel Beauty

Sammon but I wont be happy, hes a bit of a hero

If we had one id be happy to

Deny all links to Newcastle and play Rawson and Hanson when injuries come/came

Boos, I cant really seem to remember one player being booed other than Bamford I guess

I think Deeney, saw him out muscle both Keogh and Shotton to control a ball, really impressed me.

That we were splashing the cash...

Also that McClarens reign was spotless whereas the last 3 months something happened and it translated onto the pitch

Failed pretty miserably.  The aim was top two and we finished 8th.  Failed to cope with the pressure when it really mattered.

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

Beating Wolves 5-0 was about the best it got performance wise.  For a fleeting 90 minutes on a sunny Novememer afternoon we hit the heights of the previou season.

3/ Season’s low point?

Hard to seperate the Foe*st and Reading home games.  Absolutlely abject performances from everyone involved.

4/ Player of the year

Will Hughes.  Despite tailing off towards the end of the season he's been quality.

The 4th goal against Wolves summed up what we were all about when McClaren first took over.  Harrassing, pressing, quick first-touch passing & deadly finishing.

Richard Keogh.  Not only is he not captain material he isn't even our best centre half.  Plus I've seen 7 year olds with better postures when kicking a football, he looks ridiculous

For me McClaren needed to go.  Putting the whole Newcastle debacle to one side, he couldn't decide on his best back four, he failed to alter his tactics once injuries to key personnel rendered them useless, and nothing he said after the end of the season convinced me he'd turn it around.

Only sign Darren Bent & Tom Ince in the January trasfer window.  If you're tempted by anyone else, just don't bother...

We don't really do boo-ing that much, the loudest I heard was Daddy's Boy Camp when we beat Bournemouth at home.  Matt Ritchie & Callum Wilson have been very consistant and are match winners.

All season they had us as champions elect so I'd say most outlet's & pundits looked pretty foolish come the last day

At the start I was confident of a top 2 finish but after both Thorne and Martin got injured I though have settled for a top 6 finish. Unfortunately neither of those happened.

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

Some may say beating Wolves 5-0 but I found the 5-1 league victory against Fulham to be more complete.

3/ Season’s low point?

Last game of the season losing at home to Reading 3-0 when we only needed a draw to finish in the top 6.

4/ Player of the year

Martin, although he had lots of injuries.

Bent's 90th minute goal against Brentford. No-one saw it coming.

Hendrick because he is so inconsistent and weak for a big man.

We haven't got a manager.

Make sure that we have at least 3 natural defensive midfielders, I didn't consider Mascarell to be one.

I think Federici received the loudest boos because of his timewasting and Deeney impressed me the most although Callum Wilson is right up there.

We were represented as doing nothing but trying to "buy the league."

Expectations

We had high expectations rightly so but we couldn't handle the pressure when we hit the top. So poor compared what we had expected!

High point

Wolves 5-0 the only point this season we looked as good as we did last season.

Low point

It didn't seem to be catastrophic at the time but Forest at home was the catalyst that we then went on a downward spiral.

Player of the year

Chris Martin. 20 plus goals with lengthy periods out injured, without his goals where would we be!

Happiest to see leave

Keogh. I'd see him go purely so we can get a decent strong captain in.

Out of the seat moment

Tom Ince free kick on home debut. After the words to the Mrs "he's good at these!"

Advise to Mac

Don't play people out of position. Bryson scored 16 from an attacking midfield position previous season 

Quash rumours if that's all they are.

Don't persist on playing us without a striker when it clearly hadn't worked 3 games on the bounce. 

Boo's

Anyone with Forest tendancies.

But this year definitely goalkeepers, Forde as always. Federici also time wasting from kick off!

Most impressive

Deeney, he bossed defenders all over the league putting his weight about and holding up the ball.

Media

Even when we were clearly in a dip of form, they were still treating us like the side we were before Feb. Which was far from the truth!

I hoped for automatic promotion, I expected at least play-offs. We failed to achieve either.

2/ 2014/15 highlight?

Derby 5-0 Wolves

3/ Season’s low point?

Osborn's last minute winner for Forest.

4/ Player of the year

Will Hughes

Probably one of the goals where Hughes/Hendrick linked up nicely. 4th against Wolves or 2nd against Bolton.

I wouldn't be happy to see anyone leave. Our weakest position when everyone is fit is right back, so probably Christie if I had to answer.

I did, but he's not going to be.

In January, don't waste a loan on Lingaard who is exactly the same as Ince, but not as good. You don't know this now, but both Eustace and Mascarell will get injured, so you must get a defensive midfielder.

Loudest boos are reserved for Iain "I don't care what the watch says, we're playing until Birmingham equalise" Williamson. Most impressive opposition player was Adlène Guedioura.

Not much. It was far more accurate than usual because we were promotion favorites and were on the telly every month, so they actually saw us play rather than just guessing.

Archived