Transfer budget for the summer

Inglorius

Assuming that we're NOT going to sell Hughes or Hendrick to PL clubs in the summer what's people's ideas of what our spending budget will be on transfers this summer? I've seen posts about recruiting Ince for £3 million would we spend that much on one player or even would we have that much to spend at all

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question.

on our budget we can only afford to be spending half-barkers.

until we have rebuilt a solid defence, spending £2m or £3m on one player seems more like an ill conceived luxury.

Are we are being slightly careless in support of chris evans's transfer habit?

We wasted 600k on Albentosa given that he was available on a free in the summer.

I think it was Sean Dyche who said recently that the prices for players has increased massively, players that he would think are priced at 3-4 million are now 7 million +.

We saw this in action with Ross McCormack going to Fulham for 12 million and Troy Deeney and Jordon Rhodes rumoured to be valued at around 10 million. This shows how far the markets have inflated, whereas in our last season in the Premier League we bought Robert Earnshaw for 3.5 million this season Leicester bought Ulloa from Brighton for 8 million.

With the increase in revenue coming from advertising, increased attendances and relaxed laws on FFP I wouldn't be surprised if we have a transfer budget of around 5-7 million. Getting a player such as Tom Ince for 3 million would be a bargain a young 23 year old who scored 11 goals in 17 matches for us, compare that 3 million to the 5 million that Bournemouth offered for Demarai Gray off Birmingham in January. 

I dont really think we operate on a "budget", it seems that Mac, Rush and Evans have a good working relationship. They sit down, Mac says I want this position and that position filled, Evans whips out his folders and says hes got this player and that player and Rush nips off to have a chat with them and there club. 

Thats all guesswork on my part, but its how I imagine it working. We'll spend as much as we need/want to. Wont be more than £5m, probably closer to £3m. Ince in, maybe another signed perm and a couple of loans.

​Im sure he paid of the end of his contract so he could sign for us early ?

​The reason it took so long was because we had to get around the rules of the 600k we gave him to pay the Spanish FA being taxed.

There is no chance a player who was half-way through his first La Liga season would pay 600,000 euros to move to the Championship 6 months earlier than he could have for free.

​Im sure he paid of the end of his contract so he could sign for us early ?

Correct, and that cost £600k.

we could have waited until his contract expired and got him for free.

And would he of signed for us when available on a free with all these apparent other clubs interested?

If he wants to play in England.

are we bothered?

I've got a feeling we're going to go all out this summer, we tried I be 'cute' in the transfer market is the phrase I've heard being banded about and you've got to agree, we really didn't strengthen much but arguably did I hanuary and I think we want promotion this season

the board and Mac have learned from this and if anything know we want to push which will require money, something we definitely possess

increased gate figures, Mel Morris, shifting the deadwood and more laxed ffp mean we will have more to spend than before, add into that that our American owners are getting more interested in the club they are going to increase their financial input which they have a hell of a lot (Brett Wilson is over 2x worth Mel Morris)

we we will sign ince bent should come and I expect a strong Defender (wisdom) will come for large fees, then we'll worry about bargain buys

Archived