Transfer budget for the summer

Inglorius

I hardly think spending big will solve all our problems. Last season it was about getting players under long term contracts with one or two money signings then a fair few good loans.

This time it's moving the dead wood on and getting in higher quality players. Luckily the work last season to keep the core of the team together puts us in a fantastic position.  I will expect 3 or 4 money signings 1 or 2 free transfers the rest will be good quality loan signings up to our usual 3. 

They won't go mad but will just get in quality I expect the budget will be considered only in the background. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The defence really needs sorting out because at times its like watching the Keystone Cops in action.

Off load Bucko and Keogh and bring in two that can actually do what they are paid to do - defend!

As it looks likely Hull might come down, that's a positive for us, as they would be willing to sell on Ince, he is one player that Derby really need to keep at all costs!

The defence really needs sorting out because at times its like watching the Keystone Cops in action.

Off load Bucko and Keogh and bring in two that can actually do what they are paid to do - defend!

As it looks likely Hull might come down, that's a positive for us, as they would be willing to sell on Ince, he is one player that Derby really need to keep at all costs!

If Hull come down, wouldn't that make them less likely to sell 

Ince?

If Hull come down, wouldn't that make them less likely to sell 

Ince?

​I'd say more likely. There will be a fallout like there is with any relegated club. Unless Bruce is sacked they'll likely sell him and he will just want to move more because he wouldn't be getting PL football regardless and he seems to like it here.

I've got a feeling we're going to go all out this summer, we tried I be 'cute' in the transfer market is the phrase I've heard being banded about and you've got to agree, we really didn't strengthen much but arguably did I hanuary and I think we want promotion this season

the board and Mac have learned from this and if anything know we want to push which will require money, something we definitely possess

increased gate figures, Mel Morris, shifting the deadwood and more laxed ffp mean we will have more to spend than before, add into that that our American owners are getting more interested in the club they are going to increase their financial input which they have a hell of a lot (Brett Wilson is over 2x worth Mel Morris)

we we will sign ince bent should come and I expect a strong Defender (wisdom) will come for large fees, then we'll worry about bargain buys

if being cute is spending about £8m then if we are not being cute how much will we spend?

I think it was Sean Dyche who said recently that the prices for players has increased massively, players that he would think are priced at 3-4 million are now 7 million +.

We saw this in action with Ross McCormack going to Fulham for 12 million and Troy Deeney and Jordon Rhodes rumoured to be valued at around 10 million. This shows how far the markets have inflated, whereas in our last season in the Premier League we bought Robert Earnshaw for 3.5 million this season Leicester bought Ulloa from Brighton for 8 million.

With the increase in revenue coming from advertising, increased attendances and relaxed laws on FFP I wouldn't be surprised if we have a transfer budget of around 5-7 million. Getting a player such as Tom Ince for 3 million would be a bargain a young 23 year old who scored 11 goals in 17 matches for us, compare that 3 million to the 5 million that Bournemouth offered for Demarai Gray off Birmingham in January. 

that was our budget this season. In fact we spent that last summer

I'm sure the board are aware that from the end of next season the really big bucks from Sky come into effect and being in the Premier League is to get a piece of that action is at the fore front of their minds.

I would therefor be surprised if significant investment wasn't forthcoming. It was quite apparent we were lacking due to one thing and another towards the tail end of last season so their budget might be a good indication of their ambition for the club.

Be prudent and hope the coaching staff can right the wrongs with modest signings, or go to their maximum to give the coaching staff a better chance to buy proven quality in the positions they think need most attention in our quest to reach the promised land.

It's going to be an interesting couple of months and I'm looking forward to them. COYR.

​I'd say more likely. There will be a fallout like there is with any relegated club. Unless Bruce is sacked they'll likely sell him and he will just want to move more because he wouldn't be getting PL football regardless and he seems to like it here.

He will leave Hull because he won't be getting PL football and he will come to a team that finished 8th in the Championship, weird logic!

He will leave Hull because he won't be getting PL football and he will come to a team that finished 8th in the Championship, weird logic!

I meant PL football wouldn't be able to be used as a "pull factor" to stay at Hull... thought that would be clear enough without needed to explain it?

I meant PL football wouldn't be able to be used as a "pull factor" to stay at Hull... thought that would be clear enough without needed to explain it?

​Just don't see why Derby will be more of a 'pull factor' when we will be in the same league and Hull will have the money to pay much higher wages than us.

​Just don't see why Derby will be more of a 'pull factor' when we will be in the same league and Hull will have the money to pay much higher wages than us.

​Why would Derby be more of a pull factor:

• He's not got games at Hull - probably through him not fitting their style so I doubt they'll change to fit him in. He was **** at Forest because he didn't suit their system. He suits us.
  • He's played games here and won plaudits. If his loan spell failed here Hull would get nowhere near £3mil for him
  • He's got a year left on his contract. If he ain't fitting in or even wants to push the move himself, Hull don't have much leverage with regards to getting a good price
  • His dad. Paul Ince will ultimately decide what's best for him. He wants his son playing well and playing games. He's done that at Derby.
  • Hull have hardly got a better chance at promotion next year than us. They may be better odds, but teams that fall from the PL often have a shock. Staying at Hull wouldn't guarantee more success than coming here.
  • He's rejected England U21 call-ups and therefore rejected playing in the Euros in Czech Republic this summer. The reason given was "to focus on his club football". I'm unsure he would want to "focus on his club football" at Hull if he was staying there, they would be on their holidays so what would there be to focus on. You can read into that what you will but to me that sounds as if he would be looking for/expecting a move. 

Obviously he could easily go and stay at Hull, but if they come down to the Championship the pull factor of playing in the PL is immediately removed, and IMO that would be the major pull factor they would have over us in terms of keeping him.

​Why would Derby be more of a pull factor:

• He's not got games at Hull - probably through him not fitting their style so I doubt they'll change to fit him in. He was **** at Forest because he didn't suit their system. He suits us.
  • He's played games here and won plaudits. If his loan spell failed here Hull would get nowhere near £3mil for him
  • He's got a year left on his contract. If he ain't fitting in or even wants to push the move himself, Hull don't have much leverage with regards to getting a good price
  • His dad. Paul Ince will ultimately decide what's best for him. He wants his son playing well and playing games. He's done that at Derby.
  • Hull have hardly got a better chance at promotion next year than us. They may be better odds, but teams that fall from the PL often have a shock. Staying at Hull wouldn't guarantee more success than coming here.
  • He's rejected England U21 call-ups and therefore rejected playing in the Euros in Czech Republic this summer. The reason given was "to focus on his club football". I'm unsure he would want to "focus on his club football" at Hull if he was staying there, they would be on their holidays so what would there be to focus on. You can read into that what you will but to me that sounds as if he would be looking for/expecting a move. 

Obviously he could easily go and stay at Hull, but if they come down to the Championship the pull factor of playing in the PL is immediately removed, and IMO that would be the major pull factor they would have over us in terms of keeping him.

​All fair points but the fact that Bruce signed him would call into question about him not fitting into their system

​All fair points but the fact that Bruce signed him would call into question about him not fitting into their system

​All opinions mate and that's my opinion. Managers have no guaranteed knowledge whether a play will match their ethos or style. To my knowledge, don't Hull play 5-3-2? Three CB's, two wing backs, three CM's and two strikers. Tom Ince does not fit in to that system one bit. Should Bruce leave following a relegation then that changes the question altogether. If he stays I think we have a very good chance. Managers will have preferred systems and will play systems that suit their players. Now unless there is an exodus at Hull City and they sign a whole new first team to play a brand new system, Ince will not suit 5-3-2. He's got the possibility of playing as a striker at Hull or at wing-back. For that reason I feel Bruce may feel it's right to cash in on him, get his money back and use it to bring in a player who may suit them better.

Archived