The Captains Armband

Day

If their striker had pulled it trigger and it hit Keogh and went behind the truth is it would be a great block, but some would still slate him for letting it go for a corner rather than the block playing in Russell on the left wing.

It looked stupid in real time as he just went sliding as the striker checked back, but with the speed he was running there was no chance of him stopping, changing direction and blocking it before the striker got the shot away.

Very harsh to blame Keogh for it. In hindsight he may say he should have stayed on his feet but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keogh timed that slide awfully, he judged the distance and the timing all wrong. It was reminiscent of when Connor Sammon scored past Paddy Kenny, and he dove past the ball cos he didn't read the pace of the miskick. Keogh needed to wait until the striker pulled back his striking foot before committing himself.

Keogh timed that slide awfully, he judged the distance and the timing all wrong. It was reminiscent of when Connor Sammon scored past Paddy Kenny, and he dove past the ball cos he didn't read the pace of the miskick. Keogh needed to wait until the striker pulled back his striking foot before committing himself.

Mostyn that is just plain wrong. Sorry but it is. He had no right to get anywhere near without diving in from that distance. Good skill from the reading guy.

​Haha. So he was right to fly in like that? I have seen some excuses for Keogh, but how he can be excused for that one is laughable. 

​Keogh's slide tackle can't be defended. Yes it was Hughes fault 100% but Grant had the near post angle covered and Keogh slid across to try and stop the shot when he should have stood up which would have led to a shot or stood him up and forced him in further wide. 

​Tell you what... Go get a mate with a video camera, some wet grass and some trainers... then you show me how you can stop immediately after a 35 yard sprint at full pace... Just be sure to keep all of the versions where you slip over so we can all get a giggle...

however in that situation I think it would have been better to let him have the shot from where he was and take our chances with Grant given the angle was quite tight than commit himself and let him cut in to create a much better angle to shoot.

​Grant was still a fair distance back when Keogh went across... Not sure it would have made a huge difference (just watched it another 3 times... still painful)

​Tell you what... Go get a mate with a video camera, some wet grass and some trainers... then you show me how you can stop immediately after a 35 yard sprint at full pace... Just be sure to keep all of the versions where you slip over so we can all get a giggle...

​are you saying Keogh plays in trainers?

Alright... Use some football boots for all the good studs will do...

​you're talking as if Keogh is the only defender to race/chase back an opposing striker at full pelt!

You should watch more football. This happens a lot in the game. I've seen it loads of times. There was a bloke called Colin Hendrie famous for it. But he timed it properly. 

The whole criticism is based on what you're actually defending. Keogh had no control over his own body. He should've controlled his timing and his speed. He should've read the body shape of the striker like good defenders do.

​Grant was still a fair distance back when Keogh went across... Not sure it would have made a huge difference (just watched it another 3 times... still painful)

Screen_Shot_2015_05_12_at_12_45_36.png

Personally if he had shot from here I would have preferred it than him shooting from the cut inside position. Also if Keogh had not dived in the player may have been forced even further wide making the angle even harder to score. 

There's no point arguing over it too much to be honest because it is in the past, Keogh was our best defender this season by a long way and it was Hughes' fault. 

​You should watch more football. This happens a lot in the game. I've seen it loads of times. There was a bloke called Colin Hendrie famous for it. But he timed it properly. 

Personally if he had shot from here I would have preferred it than him shooting from the cut inside position. Also if Keogh had not dived in the player may have been forced even further wide making the angle even harder to score. 

​Using this screenshot tell me what Keogh was supposed to do?

If (as you say) he should have been controlling his speed (ie, going slower) he would have been edge of the area still at this point... the guy could have gotten further forward and had his shot from almost the exact same place...

Blaming Keogh for this is like saying "Grant should saved it... It was as shot and therefore as a GK Grant is always responsible for all shots which beat him..."

Keogh was covering back after a mistake by a teammate chasing down a man who wasn't his to mark...

Perfect bit of editing Shabash. There really was no need for Keogh to be lunging in when at that point Grant should have the angles all covered.  The problem is Keogh cannot stop doing it, and proved the point again some minutes later doing exactly the same thing again.  He lacks composure, and whilst I admire his energy and effort, we need someone more measured in our central defence.

If (as you say) he should have been controlling his speed (ie, going slower) he would have been edge of the area still at this point... the guy could have gotten further forward and had his shot from almost the exact same place...

Blaming Keogh for this is like saying "Grant should saved it... It was as shot and therefore as a GK Grant is always responsible for all shots which beat him..."

Keogh was covering back after a mistake by a teammate chasing down a man who wasn't his to mark...

​simple. He slows down, as the striker did! It's not hard to do!

​simple. He slows down, as the striker did! It's not hard to do!

​Yeh but that's the point! If he slowed down he wouldn't have been there... he would have been a number of yards further back...

Have you ever done any kinematics? At full pace he could cover the whole distance in the time needed... If he'd started to slow down (as the striker did) he wouldn't have covered the same distance and therefore would have given the striker chance to move further forwards...

This approach at least gave a chance of a block

​Firstly as I said in my post this goal was not Keogh's fault.

I just think that the striker shooting from that position in the screenshot would have been the ideal option. In reality if Keogh had slowed down to hold his momentum their striker would have been able to get even closer than he did, agreed. However he would have had to have gone closer to goaline making the angle the same or worse. Keogh's attempted block meant their player could improve the angle. 

Basically keogh gave him the chance to improve the angle of the shot to Grant, if he had not dived in their player would have had the same angle or worse. Yes their player would definitely have been closer to the goal had Keogh not tried a block but I think the angle was more important than the distance from the goal. 

Archived