The Captains Armband

Day

Regardless of whether he is still captain or not, do people realise Keogh was practically covering everybody else's arses in those last few games of the season.

Yes, he is liable to a mistake but he needs better players around him.

It's such a boring tired old argument now but the sticks he gets is so overblown and often despicable.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally if Keogh is stripped of the captaincy then there would be a chance of him leaving.

On the 2nd point, whilst possibly Martin would make a good captain, I have to add that he is the 1st player to get onto peoples backs regarding mistakes etc. I find it quite funny that if Keogh berates people after mistakes everyone would get on his back and say it is "poor leadership", yet if Martin does it, that's ok.

I think a leader needs to be brought in personally, from the team at the moment I just don't see one.

I like to a CB as captain and think I would actually stick with Keogh as long as he can be coached that hurling abuse at your team mates after just conceding a goal is not a great idea.

​Disagree... Somebody messes up they need a rollicking from the on field leader... I actually think this is one of the side's biggest problems! They're all too nice to each other... I'm all for team unity but I think we struggle for passion sometimes because of it...

One of my favourite things about Martin is how much he has a go at people when they don't pass him the ball... Shows a real passion and desire...

1) Hopefully not. He's not a great leader (not bad) and it's farcical that he's considered undroppable when imo he's our 9th/10th best player and if Albentosa gets it together will be our 3rd best CB.

2) Martin. Class act, undroppable, best player and very consistent.

​Where have you heard that?

I cannot obviously mention names, but I've been told that whilst nobody at the club has told Buxton he's out, he is 100% convinced that there's a massive shopping list, or at least the shopping list is full of CBs, and he will be surplus to requirements. It isn't an ITK rumour, it's the same person who told me the coffee rumours were nonsense.​

Regardless of whether he is still captain or not, do people realise Keogh was practically covering everybody else's arses in those last few games of the season.

Yes, he is liable to a mistake but he needs better players around him.

It's such a boring tired old argument now but the sticks he gets is so overblown and often despicable.

​a) such as who? He didn't do a very good job of it. He could've cleared for Reading's 2nd goal if he was covering others, but he didn't, so I don't buy that excuse.

b) I doubt very much he was asked to do other player's jobs, so on that basis he has gone against the manager's instructions. He should've focussed on doing his own basics right.

​Disagree... Somebody messes up they need a rollicking from the on field leader... I actually think this is one of the side's biggest problems! They're all too nice to each other... I'm all for team unity but I think we struggle for passion sometimes because of it...

One of my favourite things about Martin is how much he has a go at people when they don't pass him the ball... Shows a real passion and desire...

​I hope you haven't got children and are not in a position of authority in the workplace. You make the worst leader around. "Yawping" at people has never ever ever ever yielded positive results. You need to be supportive and constructive, not intimidating and aggressively impatient.

​not necessarily immature, but I believe he could conduct himself a bit better, in particular his histrionics around the referee.

Pedantic....especially if that contributes to you not wanting him in team.

you think Buxton is better ?

I cannot obviously mention names, but I've been told that whilst nobody at the club has told Buxton he's out, he is 100% convinced that there's a massive shopping list, or at least the shopping list is full of CBs, and he will be surplus to requirements. It isn't an ITK rumour, it's the same person who told me the coffee rumours were nonsense.​

​a) such as who? He didn't do a very good job of it. He could've cleared for Reading's 2nd goal if he was covering others, but he didn't, so I don't buy that excuse.

b) I doubt very much he was asked to do other player's jobs, so on that basis he has gone against the manager's instructions. He should've focussed on doing his own basics right.

​I hope you haven't got children and are not in a position of authority in the workplace. You make the worst leader around. "Yawping" at people has never ever ever ever yielded positive results. You need to be supportive and constructive, not intimidating and aggressively impatient.

Err....all captains and leaders let out rollickings. 

And children reference ...? Pathetic. They don't play professional football. And any analogy is crass, stupid and frankly embarassing

and..keogh could have saved the second goal ....class.  Go watch the forest second goal in slow mo .....  

No **** Sherlock......we are looking for centre backs. Thanks for info, would never have guessed.  And, gosh .....better ones than Bucko. I friggin hope so too.  ( nothing agaist Buxton, but keogh is better )

To much is made of the captain for me. Are the good sides good as they have a good captain or because they are a good team with good players. To be honest I haven't a clue who Bournemouth's or Watford's captain is and I am pretty sure it had no real bearing on why they finished above us and got the automatic places.

I hope not. I have said this before but in my opinion he lacks both leadership and footballing qualities. You can get away with one as captain but certainly not both. This isn't to say he doesn't have a place in the XI.

Martin is a great shout - never hides, gives his all, team set up around him, qualities over and above his goal scoring role etc. I think he'd also relish the opportunity. Thorne is also an interesting option.

​I don't have kids but do have a position of relative authority at work... I got shouted at by both parents and teachers when I was a kid and it taught me not to do things again... 

I think a good bollocking if you mess up is absolutely the right thing to do... I've messed up at work and been taken to task over it... Show's a respect for people... Acknowledging that they should be better than their mistake and showing that you don't have to dance around them... I'm not advocating shouting at people in most workplaces (I work in an office) but on the football field they have 30 seconds if that to deliver feedback and that needs to be done in a quick, efficient manner which lands with the maximum effect... Ask anyone who's served in the military...

How do we know Keogh isn't a leader in the dressing room and Martin is? Anyone who has actually met Keogh would know he is a bit of a character. What would Martin etc actually add to the role? The real leaders lead if they where the arm band or not, I am pretty sure Clough made him captain and Steve Mc has kept him on for a reason.

Archived