The Captains Armband

Day

I always thought the captaincy role was more important as an off-field link between management and playing staff. Yes, the person with the captain's armband should be a 'leader'... but, and I think McLaren has inferred this recently, there should be a number of individuals in any given matchday squad who are leaders. There should be players throughout the team, irrespective whether they are wearing a sweatband who actively encourage and rollick team-mates. It shouldn't just be the captain's responsibility. That's why many of the most successful teams have a number of leaders.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It needs an experienced 'been there', 'done it' player to come in and take the armband. Someone who's credentials speak for themselves, and instantly earn respect in the dressing room. Someone who isn't going to take crap, and will grab players by the scruff of their necks. 

I have played with players that I would genuinely be distraught if I thought I had disappointed or let them down. 

Get Keogh concentrating on being a defender. If he doesn't cut it, he isn't undroppable as he is now. 

A captain doesn't blame everyone but himself. A captain doesn't throw his arms in the air and shake his head any time we concede. A captain doesn't act like a rabbit in headlights and hit the floor any time there is a one on one, and a captain doesn't have a set to with a row of supporters full stop, let alone when the ball is in play. 

An old head that can calm the players, and motivate the players when required. 

Some might laugh, but Joey Barton would fit the bill on most things. 

Well. Repeated instances of things like Bryson and Jeff charging round midfield aimlessly stick in my mind. Even at the level I play we would be looking to the captain to try and resolve the issue during the game. 

Good insight on the training ground stuff, but even Blackpool probably talked sense during the week...

Again, this isn't an attack on Keogh or a suggestion he wouldn't be in my team. I just think we've better captain qualities elsewhere. 

Edit: to add, yes I do think players are more responsive to a captain that leads by example and can delegate/take responsibility during a game. 

I would really hope that it doesn't just fall on the captain to resolve an issue during the game, that's why we have a highly paid manager and coaching staff. Also it should be down to all the players not just the captain. If that's what the captain should be then surely it would be the player who is the most studious of the game.

As the defense has let us down so horribly recently and has the capacity to do so again, let's get rid of the captain of the defense.  Not only is he not the best center back, he isnt the best center back in a number 6 Derby shirt!

Deeney managed just fine up top for Watford as Captain. And if taking the captaincy off Keogh means he leaves so be it. I hard the car fueled and ready last pre-season to take him to Burnley.

I want to like him, I really do. He must be like marmite as some seem to sing his name whereas some can't stand him!

@unclej

Whitbread - Mostly crocked and otherwise fairly average

Bucko - The saint, the legend, the spectacle... Solid, dependable and a hero... BUT limited (height, lack of pace and occasional positioning issues)

Albentosa - TBC... Big and fairly strong but looks slow as hell... especially over short distance

Shotton - Less said the better

Youth Team players - Nuff said

So who's better?

For some reason the quote option is showing, nor are any icons showing but anyway, @cheron85 regarding your point about Albentosa - "Albentosa - TBC... Big and fairly strong but looks slow as hell... especially over short distance" he's probably the slowest player at the club, not only this but I heard a rumour from someone very much ITK who tells me that Albentosa is still turning around after being nipped to the ball for Reading's first goal

hang on a sec.

martin bolloxing his teammates is a good thing but keogh bolloxing his teammates is a bad thing?

keogh's a sub-standard defender for a top 2 side? interest from premier league sides, named in pfa player of the year and last season captaining a team to the 2nd highest average points per game (after maclaren came) says otherwise

not captain material? obviosuly professional managers in clough, maclaren & o'neil must be wrong then?

who do you want to be replace him? ayala? berra? shackell? hoof merchants that cant pass when our whole playstyle is dependant on playing out from the back

you'd be very very lucky to get a defender better than keogh that can also play football for a fee similiar we'd get for him

i know hes not the best defender in the world, let alone the league, but defending in the modern game isnt just kicking strikers into the stand anymore, so many are asked to play from the back, if you want to see the best defenders in the league go watch middlesborough, im sure you'd be more entertained by their free flowing high scoring football.

Why this guy get's so much stick I'll never understand, yes he will be captain next year for me. The only player in the squad who was never dropped apart from injury including cup games. The guy captained his country for **** sakes, stop player bashing.

100% A starter and my club captain, now barker has left.

Keogh is not a leader. He doesn't know when to encourage and when to berate. Rob Hindmarch was a limited footballer but had immense leadership qualities. They were his value to the Cox side of 85 to 87. Think of other great leaders we have had - Roy Mac, Wright, Van der Laan - it isn't always about ability as a a footballer but that ability to take people with you and bond the team. The only person we have who can do that is Bucko, perhaps Thorne when he has a season under his belt.

And Keogh is still skidding along the turf after his Sunday league level diving in as last man 'challenge'... should be reaching the outskirts of Oslo by now. 

​Yeh I think it's legit to blame Keogh for that one... Horrendous pass from Hughes... Keogh trying desperately to get back and cover... 

He was supposed to be able to go from dead sprint to stationary, in the box, having just chased down a guy with a good 5 yard lead?

Maybe watch it again...

​Yeh I think it's legit to blame Keogh for that one... Horrendous pass from Hughes... Keogh trying desperately to get back and cover... 

He was supposed to be able to go from dead sprint to stationary, in the box, having just chased down a guy with a good 5 yard lead?

Maybe watch it again...

​Haha. So he was right to fly in like that? I have seen some excuses for Keogh, but how he can be excused for that one is laughable. 

Maybe watch it again...

​Keogh's slide tackle can't be defended. Yes it was Hughes fault 100% but Grant had the near post angle covered and Keogh slid across to try and stop the shot when he should have stood up which would have led to a shot or stood him up and forced him in further wide. 

​Keogh's slide tackle can't be defended. Yes it was Hughes fault 100% but Grant had the near post angle covered and Keogh slid across to try and stop the shot when he should have stood up which would have led to a shot or stood him up and forced him in further wide. 

He wouldn't have got there in time. Because of Hughes pass and Albentosas useless tackle he was a literally full pelt to reach the point of  a POTENTIAL block. If he stayed on his feet he would have been a yard or two short. Come on guys have you played? And I don't mean on the beach.

He wouldn't have got there in time. Because of Hughes pass and Albentosas useless tackle he was a literally full pelt to reach the point of  a POTENTIAL block. If he stayed on his feet he would have been a yard or two short. Come on guys have you played? And I don't mean on the beach.

Yeah I play 11 a side regularly and I see your argument completely and agree if he had not slid he wouldn't have even had a potential block at all. 

however in that situation I think it would have been better to let him have the shot from where he was and take our chances with Grant given the angle was quite tight than commit himself and let him cut in to create a much better angle to shoot.

i understand that the game is at such a high pace Keogh probably didn't have time to take all that into account and was just desperately trying to get back and make up for Hughes' mistake. 

I'm a big Keogh fan but him diving into tackles is a weakness in his game. 

Archived