The Captains Armband

Day

To absolve Keogh of all blame for that goal is as ridiculous blaming him entirely for it - you are allowed to distribute blame 2, 3, even 4 ways you know - and some of it lands at Keogh's feet, no question.

Once again, the only person in the last few pages to bring up Wembley is someone looking to defend Keogh for Wembley. Predictable.

The slide stood no chance of blocking a shot even if one was taken. It was so off the mark that it actually made it easier for the striker! He completely sold himself before the defender had even decided to cut inside.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a tough one! Keogh wasnt at fault for the break away, nor was Albentosa, it was the usually so reliable Hughes' passing that sold Albentosa short with the hospital pass.........And despite Keogh's efforts to get back and defend the attack, he was almost too overenthusiastic on this occasion which left the striker with the easy option unfortunately.....

​I'm not absolutely nailing him for it all. 

This goal was not Keogh's fault as I said. I think Keogh diving in too much is a weakness in his game though. He was the second best defender in the league according to his peers and is a quality player. I rate Keogh more than most but it is still worth identifying weaknesses in players no matter how good they are. This outlined a weakness of Keogh's game. 

​Well that I agree with, I referred less to your post but the picture that accompanied it, which is now being scrutinised over and over. He does end up on his ****a bit too much definitely. Commits a bit too much.

Reading through the last few pages of who was at fault reminds me of Chelsea's first with the roles reversed  (kind of) makes me laugh who that certain players are immune from mistakes/poor play/choices, yet others get hammered for it. :sleep:

Keogh does go to ground too often, that Reading slide challenge was reckless and managed to make it easier for the striker!! Keogh wouldn't be picked on for it if it was a one off. Not sure he is captain material either. That said, he is not as bad as people make out.

It's an undeniable fact, and you can't take it away from him, but it does make me laugh when people mention captaining his country as an example of how much trust there is in him at a higher level.

It was in a friendly match against Oman. All his international appearances (6) have been in friendly games - he's not made any international appearances in a game that means anything.

Additionally, the supposed interest from Burnley is used to prove that he's thought of as good enough for the Premier League.

Would the same sort of stuff be said in defence of Connor Sammon? He's played in 4 world cup qualifying matches and 5 friendlies. Roberto Martinez actually went ahead and bought him for the Premier League, and played him in the Premier League!

Archived