McClaren to leave IMMEDIATELY?

​you miss my point. His position is almost untenable BECAUSE of the reaction regarding the Newcastle thing. I think McClaren should be here for another season, yes. 

Not sure how McClaren could have dispelled rumours cos muppets still said he was leaving (but guess what, he didn't leave!). At the time, he said he'd heard nothing and was here to stay, and guess what? He stayed. 

As for my analogy, you need to learn to read. I quite clearly stated she spoke to my mate, not me.

I can read. Thanks. So no lessons required. I will gloss over exact details if that is ok with you.

you even thought I may actually respond as I indicated, and said if I answered like that I was a nob .......even though I never ever implied I would reply as such. It was an analogy you see...... Happy reading.

your writing style suits your character

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can read. Thanks. So no lessons required. I will gloss over exact details if that is ok with you.

you even thought I may actually respond as I indicated, and said even though I never ever implied I would reply as such. It was an analogy you see...... Happy reading.

your style suits your character

​I have no idea what you are now on about, or even what we are disagreeing on, so... Up the Rams! 

​Well, I don't have any 'inside information', so I base my judgement on just 'two wins in 10'. Nigel Clough once went one win in 10, Brian Clough actually once went zero wins in 11, and of course if we ignore the 'worst team in history' season, there are plenty of other losing streaks or non-winning runs to rival that under Peter Taylor, Arthur Cox, Tim Ward and others.

Do I think such a run is enough to cause twitchiness in the boardroom? Normally, no (we are not Forest), but from a position we were in at the start of February, of course. However, Derby had an alarming run of injuries to key personnel and positions. For a club that plays one way and one only, the formation is both a strength and a weakness. No Thorne? No problem - we have Eustace. No Eustace? No problem - we have Mascarell. No Mascarell? Problem.

We tried Hughes (in fact, we tried Hughes there at Blackburn before Mascarell became a fixture as third-choice defensive midfielder - and we only looked more solid when Omar came on for Hughes after Gestede made it 2-3 with a quarter of an hour to go), we tried Hendrick, we tried TWO emergency defensive midfielders at Wolves (we held the ball better but were toothless up front, especially after the ridiculous "disallowed goal, have a free kick Derby, no, I'm not even going to book Batth, let alone give him an early one" howler), but we never came to terms with the absence of the three players who could fill that position. Losing Martin was a massive blow on its own - but without the stability in front of the back four, it became fatal.

I'm not going to howl for McClaren's dismissal, but I didn't howl for Nigel Clough's. I didn't even howl for Docherty's, Phil Brown's or even Paul Jewell's. Billy Davies I would have sacked at Wembley, five minutes after he told the cameras that he "….didn't know if he would be at Derby in August". I like stability - actually I would go much further than 'liking' it - I value it above pretty well all else - and Billy Davies was unstable to the point of being unhinged.

At the end of the day, I'm a supporter of Derby County, not a supporter of Steve McClaren or any other manager, for that matter. I will back him to the hilt until the minute he leaves and a new man walks in, and that goes for anyone (who isn't the wrong side of the nuthouse gates).

Good points......

The manner of the collapse is most worrying. Brentford and Reading played us off the park. McClaren based on results and performances will leave In my opinion.

Wolves system was a success performance wise, we kept the ball and created many chances. Mystery was we never played that way again for a few matches.

i went to Blackburn away .....Eustace played the CDM role...Will just moved ball and himself over very inch of their pitch as one of two more forward midfielders .....he did play it across pitch a lot I must admit, but he was not CDM. That experiment ended after he ran about too much, and flew into tackles first game of season.  Second goal for them at Blackburn was a rare Eustace error.jumping under the ball......and as I know you go to most/all away games ...Ibe could have put us 4-1 up before Omar appeared.....Ibe was very dangerous but could not finish hence was amazingly and correctly kept out of team by Jamie Ward......

Good points......

The manner of the collapse is most worrying. Brentford and Reading played us off the park. McClaren based on results and performances will leave In my opinion.

Wolves system was a success performance wise, we kept the ball and created many chances. Mystery was we never played that way again for a few matches.

i went to Blackburn away .....Eustace played the CDM role...Will just moved ball and himself over very inch of their pitch as one of two more forward midfielders .....he did play it across pitch a lot I must admit, but he was not CDM. That experiment ended after he ran about too much, and flew into tackles first game of season.  Second goal for them at Blackburn was a rare Eustace error.jumping under the ball......and as I know you go to most/all away games ...Ibe could have put us 4-1 up before Omar appeared.....Ibe was very dangerous but could not finish hence was amazingly and correctly kept out of team by Jamie Ward......

​Yes, I forgot that Eustace started - but he got booked when he took out Rhodes and daren't make a tackle for the whole of the second half, which is probably why my recollection was of Hughes playing somewhat deeper. Thanks for the reminder - Hughes scored a goal that was Ince-like in its quality, coming in from wide right. You're right about Ibe - he tore them a new one with a mazy dribble and passed the ball just wide of the far post.

Re Reading, they only really played us off the park during the second half - even though they were a goal to the good, until Bent missed the penalty I was convinced that we would win. The players' chins never got off the floor during the second half, but for 44 of the first 45 minutes, I thought we 'bossed' the game but were losing because of the uncharacteristic mistake by Hughes, the uncharacteristic 'soft' penalty by Bent, two great saves and two clearances off the line. Saying that, Grant pulled off a tremendous save himself to keep it at 1-0.

The second half was a toothless embarrassment.

The manner of the collapse is most worrying.

Absolutely.

I said to someone at the match after the final whistle that I didn't see how Schteve could leave now.

it has become such a mess that how could he leave with his head held high?

i hope i'm not being melodramatic but i think we are facing a bit of a crisis.

A massive rebuild in the summer could take us back into paul jewell territory.

A poor start would pile on the pressure.

we seem to be at a crossroads 

NE journo on Radio 5 stated that Newcastle would have liked him to take over immediately but he doesn't want to so they'll stay with carver for the last 3 games - still seemed to think he'll be their new manager soon...

I've backed Steve McLaren since the day he arrived back at the club but even my patience is now wearing very thin. If he's going to go then please go NOW.

Dragging this speculation out even for another week or two won't help anyone.

I've backed Steve McLaren since the day he arrived back at the club but even my patience is now wearing very thin. If he's going to go then please go NOW.

​what do you expect him to do? If he hasn't been offered the job, or even if he has, and has declined the offer, he's done all he needs to do! He cannot control the media.

DT saying he was sounded out on Sunday  ......................   Mon am RD   long protests still from SM re never been approached etc

All that demonstrates is that a paper has quite possibly made up some more bullshit to cover up the fact that their first bullshit was bullshit. It keeps the pot boiling and, who knows, might sell a few dozen more papers in Newcastle and Derby. It must be really difficult for people who totally bought into the January "McClaren done deal" story to then have to back-track, so it's only natural for them to clutch furtively at this straw too. Please spare a thought for the #ITKers.​

(I know… I am setting myself up for a fall and now have one foot in Pratsville)

What has McClaren said to make you think that he's contemplating leaving? It's only newspaper talk - and surely this whole sorry saga is one of McClaren saying the same thing over and over and over and over again and people continually deciding to not believe him.

If I told you that I'd seen a black cat, why would you suddenly think that I'd seen a white one?

I have been away and so this is my first post since attending Saturday's game. I was surprised from the moment I first saw the team in their pre-match warm-up. No-one looked up for it. The forwards missed with just about every practice shot, no-one spoke to Albentosa and the presentation of the POTY awards seemed lack-lustre. The biggest cheer was for Shaun Barker and everyone around me said how they wished he was fit.

Warnock seemed a .pragmatic selection given the failure of other CDMs and I thought he broke things up quite well in a frantic opening period during which we looked like schoolboys. 

Taking him off when we were 1-0 down looked like desperation. We only needed a 1-1 draw after all. 

Bringing Lingard on meant yet another non-tackler in a game in which Reading were always going to scrap for everything (those who said they had nothing to play for have obviously never played football).

Ince is lightweight, Hughes is lightweight, Russell is lightweight and Bent stays upfront. This pretty much leaves Hendrick and a back four devoid of confidence against 6 quick runners.

It smacked of a manager in panic mode, hoping we might get a 3-3. 

He chose to bring in loan players and I think it upset the team ethic. Sure, Ince and Bent brought us goals but we stopped running games from midfield and relied on individual brilliance to get us out of the mire.

Steve can't stop players from panicking but he can show calmness in his selection. On Saturday he didn't do that.

I think a new approach might require a new manager. One who builds from the back. And that doesn't mean Albentosa who moves like a camel with a limp.

Something seems rotten at the club at the moment and Sam Rush has a job on his hands.

The truth is we simply aren't ready for the Premiership and Saturday proved that. 

Absolutely.

I said to someone at the match after the final whistle that I didn't see how Schteve could leave now.

it has become such a mess that how could he leave with his head held high?

i hope i'm not being melodramatic but i think we are facing a bit of a crisis.

A massive rebuild in the summer could take us back into paul jewell territory.

A poor start would pile on the pressure.

we seem to be at a crossroads 

We have capable players. They have nt changed.  We have, hopefully, a fully fit GT "signed"

new players did not gel, it is a seminal moment .....a hard decision.....but I would apply business logic and make a change. To carry on as we are would be crass.

so only rebuild required is a new manager IMHO, and unlikely they would change a lot ....pretty much same team Clough left us with. Biggest threat is players may not fancy another season here (Will is said by Mackworth Ram to want to move on this year ......)

The earlier we get management clarity the better for the players. I was fascinated to hear Sean Dyche effectively criticise his Board for not backing him in transfer market .....he knows surely we will have money to spend .....(obviously Burnley have parachute payments but will surely lose Ings and Trippier )

I, like many others I'm sure, didn't give too much creedance  to the NUFC rumours when they first surfaced. First of all,what had McClaren actually achieved at Derby? The job wasn't finished and I believed he still owed us for helping him regain his reputation. However the rumours persisted to the point where we had to think that there was something in them . As far as I am  concerned the rumours only persist because MacClaren has been mealy mouthed and there has been no clear cut denial from him. Listen to what he says - he talks in "politician speak" and never definitively "clears the air" about the Newcastle job. I believe he will go to Newcastle provided they stay in the Premier League ( and if they still want him following our late season meltdown). We won't  sack him because of the pay off involved. If Newcastle don't want him then he may stick with us . If he does then a rebuilding job is necessary and his record in the transfer market isn't great. It looks like we have seen the best , and possibly the last, of the McClaren era at Derby

I actually am very respected an ITK about lots and lots of things. I even am able to provide you with the transcript of today's events which has caused McClaren to stay.

*Ring ring, ring ring* Hello, Derby County Football Club.

MA: Ello me ol' mucka, Mike Ashley 'ere, guvnor of Newcastle United. Jus' wundrin if ya can pass the dog n bone ova to ya gaffer Stevie Mac?

Secretary: Err, yes certainly, hold on one moment. Steve, it's that fat **** from that club, you know, something United.

SMc: Steve Evans?

Secretary: Err, dunno, what club is he from?

SMc: Rotherham

Secretary: Nah, it's someone called Mike Ashley

SMc: Ooh lovely, he must be ringing to tell me when to sign the contract! - Hello

MA: Oi oi Stevie! 'Eres the deal. Got that tossa Carver in the office now ready to sack him, you alright to come up to Newcastle and start tomorrow?

SMc: Err, I thought I was starting next season?!

MA: Nah we need you now, we'll go down otherwise and these Geordie ******** will have me rotating over a fire like one of those pigs!

SMc: Umm, nah sorry. You already ruined my reputation with that ***** umbrella I bought from Sports Direct in 2007, I ain't going and taking that shower down!

MA: Oh, ****. I'm stuck with Carver then... You ain't got Joe Kinnear's number ave ya?

SMc: *hangs up*

Like I said, ITK.

I actually am very respected an ITK about lots and lots of things. I even am able to provide you with the transcript of today's events which has caused McClaren to stay.

*Ring ring, ring ring* Hello, Derby County Football Club.

MA: Ello me ol' mucka, Mike Ashley 'ere, guvnor of Newcastle United. Jus' wundrin if ya can pass the dog n bone ova to ya gaffer Stevie Mac?

Secretary: Err, yes certainly, hold on one moment. Steve, it's that fat **** from that club, you know, something United.

SMc: Steve Evans?

Secretary: Err, dunno, what club is he from?

SMc: Rotherham

Secretary: Nah, it's someone called Mike Ashley

SMc: Ooh lovely, he must be ringing to tell me when to sign the contract! - Hello

MA: Oi oi Stevie! 'Eres the deal. Got that tossa Carver in the office now ready to sack him, you alright to come up to Newcastle and start tomorrow?

SMc: Err, I thought I was starting next season?!

MA: Nah we need you now, we'll go down otherwise and these Geordie ******** will have me rotating over a fire like one of those pigs!

SMc: Umm, nah sorry. You already ruined my reputation with that ***** umbrella I bought from Sports Direct in 2007, I ain't going and taking that shower down!

MA: Oh, ****. I'm stuck with Carver then... You ain't got Joe Kinnear's number ave ya?

SMc: *hangs up*

Like I said, ITK.

​I think it would have gone more like this

MA: ello can I speak to Steve?

Secretary: Steve it's for you.

MA: Ello Steve do you fancy coming to Newcastle?

SM: Well what you offering?

MA: Well you'll have a zero hours contract and start on the minimum wage.

SM: errrm!! Have you spoken to Sam about a compensation package?

MA: Hangs up.

Archived