First Car

Dale The Ram

its totally wrong to pay more for insurance than the value of the car, real shame !!!

Why?. Just because you've got a cheap car, you can still put a bloody great big dent in someone's expensive one.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why?. Just because you've got a cheap car, you can still put a bloody great big dent in someone's expensive one.

but say you bought a car for £400 a 1.2L Corsa for example you will be paying £1800 just in case you crash

If you are 17 the only way you can get under £1000 a year is a telematics box in a new VW up for example

Being an apprentice as well earning £3 an hour, without paying monthly it is a bit of an issue nowadays

My first car was my brother's green VW Polo. I think I only ever had 3rd party insurance.

But at Christmas I bought my first car, a Toyota Rav4 Sport. It's the best car for what I want to do - drive to the beach, use the rack to take the boards and doesn't spend loads on gas like a 6-cylinder pick-up or Jeep.

My dream car is a Jeep Wrangler - Either Sport or Rubicon. Only problem is, they're more difficult to drive than I thought due to the box-shape, high bonnet and flat windscreen. But not only that, they waste loads on gas - especially the bigger models.

Had a black Wrangler 4.0 sport, you could watch the fuel dial go down. Stupid pointless vehicle in this country unless it's snowing. 

Ideal where you are though, I'd convert to LPG, get the roof down, fit a load of speakers and subs and take girls to the beach.

Had a black Wrangler 4.0 sport, you could watch the fuel dial go down. Stupid pointless vehicle in this country unless it's snowing. 

Ideal where you are though, I'd convert to LPG, get the roof down, fit a load of speakers and subs and take girls to the beach.

I've got a Toyota Rav4 sport - great for city and off-road.

Still maintain I'd love a jeep, but the better beaches for kitesurfing are 30km from me so it's pointless having one as they'd just prove far too costly.

Bigger cars are a must here, as the roads are terrible and any low-base models will get torn to shreds. Cars in the UK wouldn't survive here, but likewise the bigger models here would be so expensive in gas in the UK.

I've got a Toyota Rav4 sport - great for city and off-road.

Still maintain I'd love a jeep, but the better beaches for kitesurfing are 30km from me so it's pointless having one as they'd just prove far too costly.

Bigger cars are a must here, as the roads are terrible and any low-base models will get torn to shreds. Cars in the UK wouldn't survive here, but likewise the bigger models here would be so expensive in gas in the UK.

We tend to use petrol or diesel rather than gas .

My first car was a Daf 44 that cost me £50 off my sister in 1982, still say she ripped me off.

daf_44_red_1970.jpg

My condolences, i agree, she ripped you off.

Oh but that takes me back.  My friend had one of those, red like that one and as i remember a terribly noisy machine and had something called continuously variable transmission, my friend claimed that was a fancy way of saying snowmobile transmission.  We both hated that car and one day out of cash and on an almost empty tank of gas sitting at a red light and discussing our seemingly bleak prospects a lady in a big black fancy Mercedes crashed at considerable speed into the back of the Daf.  We looked back, turned to each other and grinned like monkeys before getting out to drive a hard bargain of writing a large cheque or involving the insurance company.  With the money he bought a little Mazda, a huge step up. 

My condolences, i agree, she ripped you off.

Oh but that takes me back.  My friend had one of those, red like that one and as i remember a terribly noisy machine and had something called continuously variable transmission, my friend claimed that was a fancy way of saying snowmobile transmission.  We both hated that car and one day out of cash and on an almost empty tank of gas sitting at a red light and discussing our seemingly bleak prospects a lady in a big black fancy Mercedes crashed at considerable speed into the back of the Daf.  We looked back, turned to each other and grinned like monkeys before getting out to drive a hard bargain of writing a large cheque or involving the insurance company.  With the money he bought a little Mazda, a huge step up. 

Mine was actually orange, but it did sound like a tank. That was mainly down to the fact that it was air cooled and the heat exchanges had more holes than your average colander and the exhaust was dropping to bits and had to replaced by one made up of metro and Peugeot parts due to the high cost of getting a Daf exhaust. The poxy belt driven engine would manage to get me up to 60 miles an hour down a steep hill with a following wind. Fortunately it only lasted a couple of months due to me thrashing the hell out of the engine which caused it die. 

Mine is a TDI and MoneySuperMarket know.............. Unfortunately :pinch:

EDIT:

That image is from google, would you want to see the real Maxine instead?

no sorry, did you intend to buy the TDI version ? it would come up with TDI when you entered your reg plate so no getting away with it lol

Archived