First Car

Dale The Ram

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could technically write the car off 4 times a year and buy a new one each time. Baffling

its more about risk to other cars, insurers have to factor in the cost of whiplash claims/ insurance fraud, 17-24 year olds are responsible of 12% of fatal injuries but make up 1.5% of UK Licence holders, 17-24 males suffer from over confidence, risk taking and excessive speed contribute to this statistic.

that's the official line

the truth is, the above is incorrect, like any official figures that come out of governmental departments, there are think tanks that say that males are a greater risk because they drive more thus creating greater risk, I have attended thousands of forums and speeches regarding this issue. still feel its rough justice, I would like to see an excess on policies of lesser risk and pass this saving onto 17-24 policies, 17-24 year old group are also more likely to be on a lower wage and this creates a double whammy.

the amount of people drive without Insurance, Driving Licences, VED or Active Sorn Vehicles outnumber all the above stats.

its more about risk to other cars, insurers have to factor in the cost of whiplash claims/ insurance fraud, 17-24 year olds are responsible of 12% of fatal injuries but make up 1.5% of UK Licence holders, 17-24 males suffer from over confidence, risk taking and excessive speed contribute to this statistic.

that's the official line

the truth is, the above is incorrect, like any official figures that come out of governmental departments, there are think tanks that say that males are a greater risk because they drive more thus creating greater risk, I have attended thousands of forums and speeches regarding this issue. still feel its rough justice, I would like to see an excess on policies of lesser risk and pass this saving onto 17-24 policies, 17-24 year old group are also more likely to be on a lower wage and this creates a double whammy.

the amount of people drive without Insurance, Driving Licences, VED or Active Sorn Vehicles outnumber all the above stats.

So you're not disputing that young (male) drivers are greater risk, just how the figure is calculated?.

What's wrong with the most risky drivers paying the most insurance?. Why should I be penalised, to make it easier for a risky young lad to be able to afford to insure his car and potentially kill someone or himself.

Surely insurance costs based on risk is fair?. What's not fair is interfering with the market and stopping discrimination between male and female drivers, as the EU did in 2012. Why should safer young female and older drivers in general subsidise the risky young males?.

that's the official line

Does seem unjust to fork out this much without any real benefits (as in MOT tests safety etc) IMO the car should be insured via the government which would be a great help to lowering taxes as we can almost assume that the big insurance companies would be based abroad paying little to no tax

So you're not disputing that young (male) drivers are greater risk, just how the figure is calculated?.

What's wrong with the most risky drivers paying the most insurance?. Why should I be penalised, to make it easier for a risky young lad to be able to afford to insure his car and potentially kill someone or himself.

Surely insurance costs based on risk is fair?. What's not fair is interfering with the market and stopping discrimination between male and female drivers, as the EU did in 2012. Why should safer young female and older drivers in general subsidise the risky young males?.

This basically means that me being 17 and male makes me a danger on the road.

In honesty I am a risky driver as I have little to no experience.

However I have a job and now a means of transport, this is essential to my development into adulthood.

Some telematics boxes come with a curfew which goes against the very symbol of the car, freedom and independence.

To penalise young drivers before they have driven is despicable, id be interested in fitting all cars with black boxes and see who else are risky drivers, drivers going 110mph on the motorway for example.

how can people expect my generation to grow up with almost zero support from the government?

It's only matter of time before all cars are equipped with GPS trackers for road charging and congestion monitoring. Automatic speeding tickets will then follow. All the technology exists. That is, if we're not all being driven around by Google cars by then anyway. I suggest we all enjoy the freedom while we can.

I see your point but placing debt on this age group is a very poor solution, unless they outlaw age discrimination for minimum wage ? so we have a 55 year old male who has been banned 3 times for DR10 Drink Driving, banned a further 3 times for excess speed accumulation and he pays a good 50% lower premium than a newly qualified driver, you are being discriminated by your age ? you could be the worlds best driver at 17 ? I was driving at 14 !!!

Regarding female/male, there is market research that says this is down to road time, males tend to drive more, I have been scratching my head for 20 years regarding this problem and still don't have the answer, we are getting better with fraud prevention and hopefully an EU exit would lower the premiums still but not likely !!

I see your point but placing debt on this age group is a very poor solution, unless they outlaw age discrimination for minimum wage ? so we have a 55 year old male who has been banned 3 times for DR10 Drink Driving, banned a further 3 times for excess speed accumulation and he pays a good 50% lower premium than a newly qualified driver, you are being discriminated by your age ? you could be the worlds best driver at 17 ? I was driving at 14 !!!

Regarding female/male, there is market research that says this is down to road time, males tend to drive more, I have been scratching my head for 20 years regarding this problem and still don't have the answer, we are getting better with fraud prevention and hopefully an EU exit would lower the premiums still but not likely !!

Great point!

Regarding Female drivers, I bet you never knew there is a car insurance company called GirlsDriveBetter.com - Only for females which I deem as sexist, don't get me started on sexism ill be going on about it for 16 pages

so we have a 55 year old male who has been banned 3 times for DR10 Drink Driving, banned a further 3 times for excess speed accumulation and he pays a good 50% lower premium than a newly qualified driver,

I certainly agree with you that this looks very unfair at best.

Archived