Bent AND Martin on Saturday?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​I'd say the opposite tbh, I think Lingard has a much better chance of coming on for 30 mins and making an impact. For me Bent tends to drift in and out of games - as is natural for a player like him - but with Martin up there with him he seems to be more effective for longer periods. 
On Saturday I'd go;

Grant

Shotton        Keogh    Albentosa      Warnock

Bryson     Hendrick

Ince                       Martin                      Russell

Bent

We seem to be putting in Raul on the left which isn't natural for him against a side who rarely lump in high balls. How about:

....................................Grant...................................

Shotton............Keogh..............Forsyth.........Warnock

........................Hendrick............Bryson....................

Ince...............................Martin.....................Russell

......................................Bent....................................

Subs: Roos - Albentosa - Christie - Ward - Hanson - Lingard - Dawkins

​I'd be happy with that but go with Shotton/Albi/Keogh/Warnock as the back four.  Forsyth needs dropping for a couple, the silly mistakes like the one on Friday night start to creep in when you're tired.

I reckon Martin can really make us tick in the hole as he has the touch, intelligence and pass for it.  Plus he can spank it from 18 yards given the chance...

Martin in the 3 behind Bent please. 

It's the position  he takes up anyway and there's enough freedom in it for him to push up (alongside Bent) like normal anyway. 

A lot of people putting Shotton at RB. I hate him there. Think he's rubbish at RB. He got done at Brighton and constantly murdered at Norwich. He wasn't good v Fulham either. I know we're short on alternatives to Christie but I can see him getting murdered by Brentford.

I think with Hughes out it gives us the opportunity to play both. Regardless of whether Bryson is fit or not, I wouldn't play him alongside Hendrick. It's one of them, not both.

Hanson Hendrick

Russell Ince

Martin

Bent

Its been touched on, but Whether Martin plays in the hole, or whether he is alone up top, he actually takes up the same position. The difference is, when there is another CF playing up against the opposituion centre halves, martin then gets more space. We see this situation with a Martin and Bent front two, just as we did in the early season cup games when Martin came on as sub, with Best stil on the pitch taking the true CF role.

The second point I would like to make is this.

We all know martin likes it in to his feet with the wide forwards and bryson/hendrick playing up in support.

We also know bent likes to play on the shoulder and makes good runs. I totally agree with Ramage, in that its not Bents fault, he doesnt play like Martin. Bent on his own upfront would be effective, is we had some vision in midfield and had some players who played it over the top to him. In two sub appearences I have seen Martin play more balls to an intelligent Bent run, than in the other 8 or 9 games bent was on his own up top. Derbys entire team should have adapted better to Martins absense and played to the strength of Darren Bent. Even if it is does involve a different way of playing to the last 2 years!

What a sight to see Martin, soon after coming on, draw the foul and do his 'wardrobe' flop. Boy, have we missed that !!

I agree with the comparison with Goddard and maybe Bent can do the Saunders role - that would be majestic.

I think Bent up front and Martin on the bench. We can't risk losing Martin again through injury. Also, clean sheet, same back 5.

Grant

Keogh, Albentosa, Forsyth, Warnock

Hendrick, Bryson

Russell, Ince, Ward

Bent

Archived