Bent AND Martin on Saturday?

Bent was ineffective in the first half yesterday. Although the pitch doesn't help, resulting in constant long balls which he struggled to deal with, he was poor. When Martin came on, it was him who dropped deeper, winning flick one and free kicks which allowed the wide men and Bent to get in behind to create more attacking positions, which is obviously Darren Bent's game. 

I understand that Martin isn't match fit. He looked shagged everytime he made a run, and had his hands on his knees everytime the ball went out of play, but I think they both have to start on Saturday. We need to get at Brentford from the off. It's no coincidence that we hardly created anything in the first half, minus one Ince chance. We lacked that creative edge and it all seemed to come into place when Martin came on. I do see a partnership forming and it would be great to see it blossom before the play offs. Do you think McClaren will stay proud and stick to his one up front, or do you think he will go for it? 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russell, Ince, Martin and Bent all need to start, people all harp on about systems I don't care if its 4231 or 442 just get our best players on the pitch and go for it, we have 2 home games lets get the place rocking and score some goals.  

If only Hughes hadn't picked up that really silly booking..

Grant

Shotton  Keogh   Albentosa   Forsyth

Bryson    Hendrick

Ince                                                        Russell 

Martin

Bent

I didn't particularly like yesterdays makeshift back four, although there was a lot less mucking about around our box, against better teams like Brentford, it will be exposed. Still not confident with Albentosa, but rather Shotton than Christie at RB. Unless you went for:

Keogh Shotton Forsyth Warnock

But that looks just as silly.

Who would of thought two seasons ago we could have these two fire powers up front. I'm glad hes changing the team around hopefully things will calm down and we'll go on a bit of a run with a solid same team. Get Brentford out of the way then we have a few teams with nothing to play for.

I know it's been one game and I'm just happy with play offs but imagine if we pick up a few wins and our goal difference starts coming back by going 2 up front and getting a few goals..

One can wish right!?

If only Hughes hadn't picked up that really silly booking..

Grant

Shotton  Keogh   Albentosa   Forsyth

Bryson    Hendrick

Ince                                                        Russell

Martin

Bent

I didn't particularly like yesterdays makeshift back four, although there was a lot less mucking about around our box, against better teams like Brentford, it will be exposed. Still not confident with Albentosa, but rather Shotton than Christie at RB. Unless you went for:

Keogh Shotton Forsyth Warnock

But that looks just as silly.

Martin looked like he was playing against 10 year olds when he came on. Won everything in the air, played some brilliant through balls to Bent and the finish for his goal was top quality. Those two could really work together in the future with Martin just behind, playing Bent through and flicking it on to him. I can't think of a better strike force in this division. 

Sounded a pretty potent combo when Chrissy came on. I certainly think we should be giving them a whirl together in home games ... both of proven class. I've been waiting for this for a long time!!

Their respective games (Martin, the strength of twenty oxes, the classy hold-up and lay-off merchant ... and Bent - on the shoulder, running the channels and in behind, box finisher) gel naturally and it makes perfect sense to me to give the combo a run out in a game where we are likely to need goals a plenty to see the opposition off.

I'd play them together. Martin should be fine playing in the attacking midfield role, and his physical presence will help us defensively as well.

Grant

Keogh  Albentosa  Whitbread  Warnock

Hanson  Hendrick

Russell Martin  Dawkins

Bent

Bent is effective, as is any centre forward ... when they are finishing chances off. That is what he does best and he has been superb since he signed. He doesn't 'drift out of games' as such ... he is just a six yard box centre forward reliant on service. He works his socks off making runs in behind that sadly, until Martin was introduced, were not being found.

Martin's style suits Bent. They appear to compliment well. I say ... go for it. At this stage of the season ... it's in for a penny, in for a pound.

Time to gamble.

​I'd say the opposite tbh, I think Lingard has a much better chance of coming on for 30 mins and making an impact. For me Bent tends to drift in and out of games - as is natural for a player like him - but with Martin up there with him he seems to be more effective for longer periods. 
On Saturday I'd go;

Grant

Shotton        Keogh    Albentosa      Warnock

Bryson     Hendrick

Ince                       Martin                      Russell

Bent

Archived