Omar season over

Day

Good footballer that needs to use his brain a bit more than his heart. Serious lack of discipline has put a bit of shadow over a player that is easily good enough for us. 

He plays the position wrong sometimes and let's his heart rule his head. 

Screen the CB's. Job number 1 is make sure they have nothing running straight at them. You need to make sure that you force the opposition wide and then pick up any runners the CB's haven't got. You're their extra set of eyes and they should let you know if they feel exposed. Omar always liked to be a bit more destructive than that and go chasing the ball and pressing. Thorne and Eustace don't.  Even Hanson doesn't.  He just harasses them away from the CB's to where they can be dealt with out wide. 

On the ball he's spot on. You're the guy who has the most passing options with the most amount of time on the ball. He uses it well. He does actually control things then. Him and Hughes. 

But off the ball has been all his troubles. 

Good player though and obviously a top bloke after what he told Raul too.

Just DM on his own in the English lower leagues? Nah. More chance in the slower more deliberate PL maybe. Probably needs a partner like Bailey did.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still think there's hope for the kid. I can't pick a player who hasn't gone off the boil as the season has progressed. Feel the haters are jumping on him as he plays a tough position that's easy for spectators to notice any errors (like CB, for example), and which tend to lead to a goal scored against us. in terms of performance he's been no worse than anyone else. 

I like Mascarell and am pleased with his contribution this season. It was a little frustrating when he was getting picked ahead of a fully fit Eustace in November/December, but he's done pretty well. DM is a really tough position to play. It takes lots of experience to be effective and you don't often see players start to blossom there until they hit 22/23 at the earliest. Add the language barrier and never having played in England before to that lack of experience and I think Omar stood up to a challenging situation reasonably well.

I've been impressed by his attitude and I like the way he's attempted to adapt his game to suit the needs of the team, even though that doesn't necessarily play to his strengths. He's tried hard to get stuck in and is just a little naive concerning what you can and can't get away with. For instance, a player like Eustace will come in slightly late catching opposition players on the ankles or digging an elbow in their back and not even get a warning. Mascarell will put his hand on opposition player's shoulder with no force at all, but the player feels the contact and goes down like he's been shot.

I'm a big fan of his; huge fan in fact. 

I will never or could never understand the criticism he got - more often than not he would be part of the solution rather than the problem. Yet, I think because he wasn't ours that he got lambasted for whatever reason.

When the season is over and we look back, I would argue until I'm blue in the face that he has contributed more to our season than either Hendrick and Bryson have. 

As a player, he never ever hid away from responsibility, he never shied away from a tackle and he never stopped looking for the ball. He created space superbly in the middle of the park, he allowed the players around him to have more space and he allowed us to play a style that only Thorne could. 

Excellent player, who I'm sure will get a good move and have a very good career. I'd have him here in a heartbeat.  

FFS. First he was biggest reason to our downfall and now as he is injured, all of a sudden he is excellent...

Good third choice option, nothing more nothing less. Earlier I said I don't mind does he or Eustace play, but longer the season has gone, more I'm favouring Eustie. As a dm, solid 7 from game to game is better option than 5-8 and you never know what's coming from him. As a dm unpredictability is not the greatest attribute to have.

​So what? I saw the Watford and Blackburn games, and by the way, Hughes was the best player on the park vs Blackburn,
Blackpool? Are you kidding me? I could still own their midfield with my excuses for 35 year old knees. A win against that shower of sh!te should only be worth half points anyway because they are that inept.

Hardly a glittering run of glory for the lad...four games at best where he has apparently done well.

I've been to far more this season where he has been absolutely chronic and cost us plenty.

Not getting into it again, everyone knows how i feel about Mascarell ... the guy cannot play the position and I'm glad to see the back of him, he wouldn't have played again anyway, regardless of injury.

Everyone singing Eustace's praises like the game didn't pass him by very regularly. The times players were able to just run straight past Eustace and it look like Eustace was running in treacle yet people think he's better than Omar. 

It it is this attitude that will stop England ever winning anything in my life time. Our kids have the same level of technical ability as foreigners but they don't get the chances here to shine like foreigners do (David Johnson one of Chelsea's head scouts). Omar needs to make mistakes and needs time because he is learning a position which I'd argue has an older peak age than a normal centre midfield role. 

The old saying is 'you have your best games when you're not playing' and I'm certain that's what's happening with Our very own 'turns like an 18 wheeler' Eustace.

Everyone singing Eustace's praises like the game didn't pass him by very regularly. The times players were able to just run straight past Eustace and it look like Eustace was running in treacle yet people think he's better than Omar. 

It it is this attitude that will stop England ever winning anything in my life time. Our kids have the same level of technical ability as foreigners but they don't get the chances here to shine like foreigners do (David Johnson one of Chelsea's head scouts). Omar needs to make mistakes and needs time because he is learning a position which I'd argue has an older peak age than a normal centre midfield role. 

The old saying is 'you have your best games when you're not playing' and I'm certain that's what's happening with Our very own 'turns like an 18 wheeler' Eustace.

I also don't understand what all the Omar hate is about. He's come into a team and done what is asked of him, mostly. I agree that Eustace is the better player for the position that they've both played this season. Neither of them are anywhere near the level of Thorne though.

Technically Omar is the better player and I've no doubt that he will go on to have a decent career, probably somewhere where they play two DMs or where he can play with a bit more freedom further up the pitch. Eustace is the better player for the lone DM role though and we've missed that bite and experience a lot in the last couple of months.

I'd like to think we can keep Omar for next season as I'd love to see what a midfield three of him, Hughes and Thorne could do together. I think those three would make a very fluid and stylish CM trio, where they would compliment each others clever play and passing styles well.

​You're opinion is hopelessly wrong, and provably so;

MascarellEustace
Games started1813
Points when started2828
Points/game when started1.562.15
Total goals conceded when started259
Goals conceded/game started1.390.69
Total minutes on pitch16431058
Total goals conceded when on pitch248
Concede every -- minutes when in team68132
Team goals when started3327
Team goals/game started1.832.08
Team goals when on pitch3322
Score every -- minutes when playing5048
Average position of opposition faced12th14th

​You're opinion is hopelessly wrong, and provably so;

MascarellEustace
Games started1813
Points when started2828
Points/game when started1.562.15
Total goals conceded when started259
Goals conceded/game started1.390.69
Total minutes on pitch16431058
Total goals conceded when on pitch248
Concede every -- minutes when in team68132
Team goals when started3327
Team goals/game started1.832.08
Team goals when on pitch3322
Score every -- minutes when playing5048
Average position of opposition faced12th14th

Maybe Eustace should of stayed fit.

But when your an old man that's tough and it was also tough for him to last 90 when he played

Why don't you blame Mascarell for Eustace not staying fit you seem to blame him for everything so why not blame him for losing to Middlesborough as well.

Mascarell team goals when on the pitch look at that statistic why don't you as well.

33 when Mascarell on 22 when Eustace on Thats from CREATIVITY .

Also average  position of opposition played for Mascarell was 12th not 14th with Eustace

Eustace didn't play Cup games either  probably because he couldn't make them games being so old

Mascarell is a big loss.

I'm a big fan of his; huge fan in fact. 

I will never or could never understand the criticism he got - more often than not he would be part of the solution rather than the problem. Yet, I think because he wasn't ours that he got lambasted for whatever reason.

When the season is over and we look back, I would argue until I'm blue in the face that he has contributed more to our season than either Hendrick and Bryson have. 

As a player, he never ever hid away from responsibility, he never shied away from a tackle and he never stopped looking for the ball. He created space superbly in the middle of the park, he allowed the players around him to have more space and he allowed us to play a style that only Thorne could. 

Excellent player, who I'm sure will get a good move and have a very good career. I'd have him here in a heartbeat.  

Ahhh, good old stats. Because nothing else has any impact on the result apart from if it is Eustace or Mascarell. Of course who knows how the team would have done if Eustace had played those 600 more minutes...

Who knows how we would have done if Hendrick and Bryson had decided to get involved in matches and want the ball rather than be a statue or run as far from the ball as possible. But no, it can't be a combination of things, it has to be one man.

I am startled at the amount of utter f@cking tripe I read on here sometimes.

For literally the millionth time ...

The position Mascarell was asked to play was a DEFENSIVE one. He quite clearly, was not up to the task. Attitude is great, but if you aint good enough, you aint good enough. A job needs doing in the position and he quite clearly, to anyone who knows the game, cannot do that job properly as yet.

I don't give a **** whether he can float a fancy looking but very straightforward pass thirty yards across the park in acres of space, if he can't get in front of that back four, and they can't rely on him, he ain't up to it.

If I want creativity, I have Will Hughes, Thomas Ince, Jesse Lingard, Jamie Ward....that is what they are in the team for. Not the guy who sits ten or fifteen in front of the centre halves.  

The defensive midfield position is just that. It is fundamentally there to SHIELD AND PROTECT, and to get the play moving in a simple manner. Those are the BASICS, and they should come first. With Mascarell, I'm afraid they quite profoundly do not. 

Some of you have got your heads in cloud cuckoo land. One good performance that sticks in the memory against a toothless Wolves side that we completely mauled collectively as a team from the word go ... is simply not a good enough return.

Ask Sir Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho ... even Mr. 'uber creative and progressive' - Guardiola ... what the primary role of the midfield anchor man is. 

This idea that Mascarell would be an asset in the Premier League because it would be 'a bit slower', that he would 'get more space' or that he would 'be able to take a breather' is a complete and utter f@cking joke and an opinion spouted by ******.

The Premier League is played at absolute BREAKNECK from the very first minute. it is the most physical and demanding division in Europe, and the only reason attacking players appear to have more space is that because in the main, their movement is FIRST CLASS, their physical presences immense, and they work their sodding socks off for even half a yard.

Do you think the likes of Jedniak, Cattermole, Barry, or Tiote these days  ... or back in the days, Keane, Hargreaves, Batty, even Savage ... would give Mascarell any sympathy whilst he was strolling around picking his nose and admiring his own work? Give me a break will you? I can guarantee you he would get devoured by most Premier League midfields.

This argument is utterly pointless and boring. He will not be back. Time to move on and get on with winning the next eight games with players that are here.

Maybe Eustace should of stayed fit. 

But when your an old man that's tough and it was also tough for him to last 90 when he played  

Why don't you blame Mascarell for Eustace not staying fit you seem to blame him for everything so why not blame him for losing to Middlesborough as well. 

Mascarell team goals when on the pitch look at that statistic why don't you as well. 

33 when Mascarell on 22 when Eustace on Thats from CREATIVITY .

Also average  position of opposition played for Mascarell was 12th not 14th with Eustace

Eustace didn't play Cup games either  probably because he couldn't make them games being so old

Mascarell is a big loss.  

Archived