Omar season over

Day

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole signing sounds a bit like when your dad buys a Golf GTi in his mid-life crisis. We just got caught up in the idea and did it because it looked like a good signing - look, it doesn't matter Thorne is injured!! We've got this sound bloke from Real Madrid! But we didn't do our homework on Omar the footballer properly. Omar is not a poor footballer and it's not even fair to say he doesn't suit English football - but he really doesn't suit our team.

Omar would suit a much slower side like Brighton or Watford. We need our CDM to be an extra pair of eyes for the defence, protecting the back four. We have two forward-minded full backs, and players like Bryson and Hendrick in front of the CDM who like to bomb forward, and two wide men who like to push up with pace. It leaves us vulnerable to the counter attack. I watched our 5-0 victory over Forest a while back and I was amazed how many times Forest broke away in the first half, only for one of their players to be absolutely clattered by Thorne, or be shepherded by him torwards Wisdom or Forsyth. Take him out of the equation and Forest might have got a couple of goals on the counter in that first half. Different story.

Fast forward to this season. It's 1-1 against Forest. Lee Grant has the ball in his hands and prepares to launch up field. Our brain-dead team decided it's time to go for the winner, despite the game being effectively over, with us misfiring without the injured Will Hughes. Hendrick's decided he's playing CAM, Darren Bent's positioned himself about 5 yards away from Chris Martin, Cyrus Christie has this great idea of running past half way line marking himself, and Bryson's ordering a double espresso in Starbucks. Grant punts the ball upfield to our two centre forwards standing next to each other, and Wilson wins his header, and despite making fairly weak contact, the ball bobbles into our half.

We're in trouble now. Hendrick turns around before he runs into the family stand, and Bryson tells the Starbucks lady she can keep the change, but it's too late. Omar is one of few players in a position anything like where he should be, but he's been left in a situation where he has to make a split second decision as he faces a 50/50 with Tesche. In this situation, Eustace takes a yellow card, even if it's his second, just to stop the move in its tracks. Thorne would stand where he is, wait for the ball to come to him and win it, and make Tesche look like an idiot. Omar can't do that, but he decides to try and win the ball. But the problem is, by the time he's made that decision, Tesche has already got there first, and he's poked it to Ben Osborn. It's now Osborn, Tesche and Assombalonga running at pace at our back three. It's a good strike from Osborn in fairness, but they had about four different ways of finding a goal there. That goal sums it up more than anything for me.

To say he's "not a CDM" is simplistic. He is. He keeps things ticking, he's comfortable with the ball at his feet, and he's got a fairly good tackle on him. But he's not a McLaren CDM, or more specifically a Derby CDM. We need a big boy in that position - a shepherd, a talker, someone with nous, someone who's not just okay with having to rectify the mistakes of players infront of him, but capable of doing it every time without fail. It's more than is expected of your average CDM. If we had properly thought about it, we'd have realised that Omar Mascarell is not that kind of player. But good luck to him - the difference in attitude between him and Ibe is seismic and you could argue that at the start of the season, both had as much reason as the other to believe they were close to the first team of their parent club.

Based on that - I think you have no idea of the phrases 'ironic' ... or 'sarcastic' ... or 'sardonic'

Look them up.

By the way ... statistics ordinarily do absolutely nothing for me. Anyone on here will tell you that. I judge by what I see and know and understand out there on the pitch ... not the numbers.

However in this case, to back up my argument, regarding the Spaniard's defensive work ... stats clearly do not lie.

But he's not a McLaren CDM, or more specifically a Derby CDM. We need a big boy in that position - a shepherd, a talker, someone with nous, someone who's not just okay with having to rectify the mistakes of players infront of him, but capable of doing it every time without fail.... If we had properly thought about it, we'd have realised that Omar Mascarell is not that kind of player. 

First off Omar has had a mix of good and bad games and good and bad moments within them and if he had not been seen has a direct replacement for Thorne or Thornee had never been here many would of liked him more.

Real Madrid sent him here to broaden his knowledge and improve has a footballer in both cases I think they will be pleased by his progress.He never was a fully matured midfielder in any position nor or any young loaness the same is seen now with Lindgard and before Ibe

We have got lucky three times in my forty years of being a season ticket holder in Osman,Throne and Wisdom loans the rest are mostly or instantly forgettable.

Mascarell was passable in home games but didn't do the job in many away games at all from what I saw (due to the fact that basically he is a poor tackler and players used to run straight through our midfield along with a number of unforced errors). I know the Watford win gets pulled out but that was only thanks to a great goalkeeping performance as they were raining shots on our goal. We got totally overrun in midfield in games like Leeds, Middlesborough and even at Rotherham totally outmuscled not to mention a few others. Think Mac should have only used him in home games after a while, plus not so sure about him playing further forward, in the latter games his forward passes became very wayward and his shooting was poor so think he will stay in that position but maybe on the continent where its not so physical.

I am startled at the amount of utter f@cking tripe I read on here sometimes.

For literally the millionth time ...

The position Mascarell was asked to play was a DEFENSIVE one. He quite clearly, was not up to the task. Attitude is great, but if you aint good enough, you aint good enough. A job needs doing in the position and he quite clearly, to anyone who knows the game, cannot do that job properly as yet.

I don't give a **** whether he can float a fancy looking but very straightforward pass thirty yards across the park in acres of space, if he can't get in front of that back four, and they can't rely on him, he ain't up to it.

If I want creativity, I have Will Hughes, Thomas Ince, Jesse Lingard, Jamie Ward....that is what they are in the team for. Not the guy who sits ten or fifteen in front of the centre halves.  

The defensive midfield position is just that. It is fundamentally there to SHIELD AND PROTECT, and to get the play moving in a simple manner. Those are the BASICS, and they should come first. With Mascarell, I'm afraid they quite profoundly do not. 

Some of you have got your heads in cloud cuckoo land. One good performance that sticks in the memory against a toothless Wolves side that we completely mauled collectively as a team from the word go ... is simply not a good enough return.

Ask Sir Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho ... even Mr. 'uber creative and progressive' - Guardiola ... what the primary role of the midfield anchor man is. 

This idea that Mascarell would be an asset in the Premier League because it would be 'a bit slower', that he would 'get more space' or that he would 'be able to take a breather' is a complete and utter f@cking joke and an opinion spouted by ******.

The Premier League is played at absolute BREAKNECK from the very first minute. it is the most physical and demanding division in Europe, and the only reason attacking players appear to have more space is that because in the main, their movement is FIRST CLASS, their physical presences immense, and they work their sodding socks off for even half a yard.

Do you think the likes of Jedniak, Cattermole, Barry, or Tiote these days  ... or back in the days, Keane, Hargreaves, Batty, even Savage ... would give Mascarell any sympathy whilst he was strolling around picking his nose and admiring his own work? Give me a break will you? I can guarantee you he would get devoured by most Premier League midfields.

This argument is utterly pointless and boring. He will not be back. Time to move on and get on with winning the next eight games with players that are here.

Played well for us this season, you'd think he'd single handily relegated us from some of the comments on here.

We would have been in a far worse position without him this season and therefore I am grateful for his contribution to the team and wish him well for the rest of his career be that at Derby, in England, in Spain or where ever he may end up. A player with great technical ability, maybe lacks the physicality to play the defensive midfield role in England but he will have  a good career. Will probably end up at a decent La Liga team dabbling with Europa league.

Lets cut to the chase here.

Good player, young, and im sure benefitted from coming here and so did we in turn.

Would have him back as said but I feel like a midfield 3 of Hughes, Mascarell and Thorne I would love to see but im not the manager so I doubt it would work in practise

​Aren't you supposed to have been a professional footballer? or maybe semi-pro?

Surely you'd have some understanding and appreciation of development and exposure if you were? Or are you so bitter about your career hitting the buffers through injury, that you harshly judge others.

​Yes I was ... on both counts. I played the position regularly myself if you were wondering...so my harshness at times might be because I know what I am talking about.
So what have my injuries or my track record got to do with you? Why so harsh on me? I am not bitter in the least as I have continued to go on and have a very successful career in another field, and continue to coach  youngsters in the most deprived boroughs of South East London through an organisation that is sponsored by Crystal Palace Football Club. What else?

Have you ever been out there? It sounds doubtful. If anyone is bitter, its someone who says something like that about a man who had to pick up and start again in his early twenties.

The fact is, I know what is required in a good side that is challenging for a TITLE at any level whatsoever...and Mascarell is too ineffectual too often in the role he plays for the TEAM. This ain't the Omar Mascarell show. It ain't a circus for tricks and magic.

I am a massive advocate of Johnny Eustace, so don't tell me I don't notice the things that go unsung by the average fan in a game of football..and by the way, if you ask me, Michael Carrick is one of the biggest and most criminal losses to the English national side... so - hopefully I have straightened that one out too.

Of COURSE I agree that players should be given time to develop...but NOT when something so crucial as promotion is at stake. He was in too deep ... and he cost us. Football is a game of very harsh truths.

​Yes I was ... on both counts. I played the position regularly myself if you were wondering...so my harshness at times might be because I know what I am talking about.
So what have my injuries or my track record got to do with you? Why so harsh on me? I am not bitter in the least as I have continued to go on and have a very successful career in another field, and continue to coach  youngsters in the most deprived boroughs of South East London through an organisation that is sponsored by Crystal Palace Football Club. What else?

Have you ever been out there? It sounds doubtful. If anyone is bitter, its someone who says something like that about a man who had to pick up and start again in his early twenties.

The fact is, I know what is required in a good side that is challenging for a TITLE at any level whatsoever...and Mascarell is too ineffectual too often in the role he plays for the TEAM. This ain't the Omar Mascarell show. It ain't a circus for tricks and magic.

I am a massive advocate of Johnny Eustace, so don't tell me I don't notice the things that go unsung by the average fan in a game of football..and by the way, if you ask me, Michael Carrick is one of the biggest and most criminal losses to the English national side... so - hopefully I have straightened that one out too.

Of COURSE I agree that players should be given time to develop...but NOT when something so crucial as promotion is at stake. He was in too deep ... and he cost us. Football is a game of very harsh truths.

Archived