Current Injury 'Crisis'

kingsy1884

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​If we go up - which isn't looking likely at the minute - we will buy at least around six new first-teamers which pretty much rules out the overused hypothetical analysis 'we wouldn't surivive in the PL with this lot' as a good chunk of this lot would be gone.

Injuries have ruined us. They really have and our collapse has been amazing. 

One issue I have is our playing style. It's perfect for staying in the PL; but I don't remember too many teams actually going up with it. As good as Swansea are now, they went up through the playoffs after reaching only 80 points - an amount we should hit quite easily.

It's as if SM's ideas are just too forward for quite a few of our basic players. Take Hendrick and Bryson for instance, they just can't get to gribs with their role in the team and it's frustrating. Hendrick is an awful passer and handles the ball like a hot potato - not exactly the sort of player you'd want in a possession-based side.

We're so unbalanced at the minute and a lot of our players I think a fair few players in our XI against Boro were taked with a job that is simply too difficult for them to complete. 

​I'm not sure that's strictly true.

We've seen repeatedly just how effective this current system can be. Hendrick began to excel within this system towards the end of last season. The 2nd leg of the play-offs v Brighton, he was absolutely immense!

Also, at times this season, the formation has worked to great effect as has adding attacking impetus by changing to 424.

The imbalance is stemming from not having a striker that holds the ball up. Consequently, our whole game plan and play style changes, hence why players may be confused like you suggested? Martin really is key to our play.

​I'm not sure that's strictly true.

We've seen repeatedly just how effective this current system can be. Hendrick began to excel within this system towards the end of last season. The 2nd leg of the play-offs v Brighton, he was absolutely immense!

Also, at times this season, the formation has worked to great effect as has adding attacking impetus by changing to 424.

The imbalance is stemming from not having a striker that holds the ball up. Consequently, our whole game plan and play style changes, hence why players may be confused like you suggested? Martin really is key to our play.

PistoldPete2

​Who do you suggest? This player who is like Chris Martin and is available for loan in March does not exist. I have absolutely no idea what you're expecting. Lee Tomlin? Leonardo Ulloa?

Bent became available, and he came in for Martin when injured. He got 6 in his first 7 games, and a lot of them were big goals. That was decent cover if ever I've seen it. It's just plain unlucky he got injured.

Brighton lost Darren Bent. Do you know who they replaced him with? Leon Best. That's the quality of loanee that's available, that's why we got him in the summer, and loans like Bent are absolutely gold dust in the Championship.

As for signing a decent CF in the summer, it's quite a hard sell to a potential player coming in when they and their agent know they're going to play second fiddle to Chris Martin.

​I don't doubt Martin is the key.

The only two positions that are vital to our play is DM and ST. Every other position on the pitch can be rotated, played between different players and changed upon form.

The only two positions that are 100% key are the two positions where we've had long-term injuries. Absolutely typical and sheer bad luck.

I was watching Arsenal earlier, Giroud was immense in the Martin role and the Gunners are infinitely a better team with him in it.

Real Madrid, likewise, have suffered since the turn of the year because Modric has been out - their key DM player.

Our 4-3-3 formation is brilliant, I don't doubt that. But the way Mac wants to play it requires guile and skill - abilities we would be able to find in abundance across Europe if we get to the PL. Problem is, while down here, finding such players is quite tough and it's noticable how limited a few of our players are when they're not being carried by a Martin or Thorne.

They say you learn a lot by your players when the chips are down, and I'm sure Mac will be thinking there are a number of players in that dressing room who don't have it in them to step up when needed.

Injuries were bound to come at some stage. You've been fortunate to go a few years without any relatively speaking. When Forest fans cited it as the reason we fell away we got no sympathy so I suppose this is karma

Sorry but I am not buying into this. Yes we have had bad luck with injuries but all teams will at some point during the season.

The way we have reacted to these injuries has really surprised me.

If Kwame Thomas is good enough to be in the squad then he should be starting as our target man.

Playing JR up front on his own has thrown the team into disarray and now all everyone wants to do is see how far they can kick it downfield. We are now on a very slippery slope and one that is going to be very hard to get off.

We need players to start being brave and wanting the ball, we also need a calm head.

Most worrying is we became so reliant on 4 3 3 formation, we are so far away from even being to put out a 4 4 2 formation it is scary.

centre forwards we lack......and yes, it is hard to strengthen there, as we have obviously made moves to get a decent player in. Sadly, the inability to secure a CF on loan has cost us big time.

Chris Martin injury has absolutely nuked our season......

throws up the interesting scenario of how on earth we would play in the Prem, when without the fulcrum of Martin we look a shadow of ourselves, and it is quite feasible the Prem might be a step too far for Chris

I am not one for excuses and I am sorry if I sound like a F*rest fan from yesteryear but by my last count we have at least 10 players out or carrying injuries that we even know about correct me if I am wrong but the following are all out or injured in some way:

Buxton
Barker
Whitbread
Eustace
Mascarell
Thorne
Martin
Bent
Bennett
Russell (Marginal but still a broken nose!)

I understand they are part and parcel of the game but to have nearly 33% of our pros out injured in all honesty is ridiculous and has quite literally crippled us. I feel this is the main reason we seem so toothless and souless at the moment. Any team no matter how big or small would suffer dearly with the injury list we have and for us it has come at the worst time. 

Again sorry if you think these are just excuses but I had to get it off my chest it is a rotten load of luck It does seem that we are having to scrape a team together at the moment I think we just have to survive until the international break then try and kick on.

Lets hope for an injury free last 8 (or so) games.

McClaren sounded disturbingly downbeat during his radio interview for someone who needs to be lifting his troops. He also made a lot of references to injuries whilst at the same time saying that injuries werent an excuse for our alarming slide - if they're not an excuse why mention them

McClaren sounded disturbingly downbeat during his radio interview for someone who needs to be lifting his troops. He also made a lot of references to injuries whilst at the same time saying that injuries werent an excuse for our alarming slide - if they're not an excuse why mention them

Injuries were bound to come at some stage. You've been fortunate to go a few years without any relatively speaking. When Forest fans cited it as the reason we fell away we got no sympathy so I suppose this is karma

Bent is not really cover for martin, but at least he was an option. We need two players for every position, but I think martin was unique cos he does two players jobs. I think back to last season martin was suspended against mill wall we played sammon and bamford neither really covered for Martin. But fact is even when bent got injured we didn't bring anyone in. I think the same problem when eustace was injured... No Thorne or eustace and we've slipped up. Why no replacements? Tbh I think we should have signed a decent cf in the summer, but we got Leon best. That's where the problems began. 

Archived