Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

11 hours ago, Alph said:

Before he retires? You think he'll get beat (again)? I fancy him to show up big time. 

Rumours up North that he's spending more time with certain murky acquaintances and enjoying the notoriety. I reckon the fire in his belly has gone out.

In other news, heres a headline from Jan 2nd in various news outlets in Scotland 

"Gangster who dated Euromillions winner Jane Park shot dead outside Edinburgh pub"

There's a video on social media of the gangster who got shot calling out other gangsters on New Year's Eve. Unreal... 

It looks from the outside that there's a turf war in Edinburgh / Glasgow and people are taking sides.

9 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Rumours up North that he's spending more time with certain murky acquaintances and enjoying the notoriety. I reckon the fire in his belly has gone out.

In other news, heres a headline from Jan 2nd in various news outlets in Scotland 

"Gangster who dated Euromillions winner Jane Park shot dead outside Edinburgh pub"

There's a video on social media of the gangster who got shot calling out other gangsters on New Year's Eve. Unreal... 

It looks from the outside that there's a turf war in Edinburgh / Glasgow and people are taking sides.

Hasn’t Taylor had a bit of previous with a nightclub doorman before, not sure if it ended up in court I think it may have been some sort of sectarian comments. I know he’s a big Hibernian supporter 

32 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

Hasn’t Taylor had a bit of previous with a nightclub doorman before, not sure if it ended up in court I think it may have been some sort of sectarian comments. I know he’s a big Hibernian supporter 

Yeah, big Hibbee. 

Google Bradley Welsh. Film star, football hooligan, boxing gym owner, assassination......

Some of Taylors twitter posts during brexit and covid were unsavoury to say the least. 

On 14/02/2024 at 20:22, Henrycav81 said:

Word at the time was Taylor was struggling to make the weight, i think he said after the fight that he would be moving up a division and if Catterall wanted a rematch it would have to be at a higher weight. I think Catterall had already moved up a weight to take the first fight. Ben Shallom who is Taylor’s promotor said Catterall had won by at least two rounds and that the decision was a bad night for boxing 

My recollection was that I felt it was fairly even but that those who knew their stuff felt Catterall was robbed - that carried over into the post fight atmosphere and all the questioning was framed around 'are you going to give him another chance as he was very unlucky' etc.

Catterall was pretty clear he felt he won and he deserved another shot. Taylor was dismissive and seemed to be saying he couldn't stay at that weight, had bigger fish to fry and didn't feel it was warranted. Making him appear like the bad guy.

Sorta like Froch after the Groves fight.

Taylor Catterall 2 is at 140 again? 

I'm surprised at that. I thought weight was one of the reasons Taylor said he underperformed no? Might have made that up. 

Still think he'll do the business but he has to find his way past that awkward defence. 

Sandy Ryan back next month in a good fight. She's sparring Clarissa Shields in preparation 

4 hours ago, Alph said:

I'm surprised at that. I thought weight was one of the reasons Taylor said he underperformed no? Might have made that up. 

Still think he'll do the business but he has to find his way past that awkward defence. 

Sandy Ryan back next month in a good fight. She's sparring Clarissa Shields in preparation 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Saw that the other day, think I'm leaning more toward Catterall now. Really shocked it's at 140.

I've played Catterall. I don't understand the market. Probably end up looking foolish, mind.

21 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I've played Catterall. I don't understand the market. Probably end up looking foolish, mind.

Don't see how you could. Taylor has the pedigree, he was always expected to reach the very top and dominate. 

Yet he comes off the back of a dodgy win over Catterall and defeat to Teofimo Lopez (thought he'd win that too). Going with what @CWC1983and @Henrycav81are saying about his off field behaviour...

Like @JubbsI'm starting to lean the other way now. 

Should be fun though with the genuine tension between them. 

Do you dare stick money on Ngannou btw? 

13 minutes ago, Alph said:

Don't see how you could. Taylor has the pedigree, he was always expected to reach the very top and dominate. 

Yet he comes off the back of a dodgy win over Catterall and defeat to Teofimo Lopez (thought he'd win that too). Going with what @CWC1983and @Henrycav81are saying about his off field behaviour...

Like @JubbsI'm starting to lean the other way now. 

Should be fun though with the genuine tension between them. 

Backed him at 13/2 with the Paddies. Have a cash out already as he's half the price now, but will watch the market. I thought 13/2 was too big a price, though clearly not all agreed.

1 hour ago, Alph said:

Just can't see this at all, looking at the face to face, AJ looks relatively slim so I imagine he'll be during what Fury should've done and out-box him.

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Backed him at 13/2 with the Paddies. Have a cash out already as he's half the price now, but will watch the market. I thought 13/2 was too big a price, though clearly not all agreed.

Should have said also, at current prices, I'd not be betting Ngannou. 13/2 too big, 3/1 not so much! Might point was and always has been, that you should always seek value if you bet at all, though I think it's a nuance possibly lost on non bettors.

As things stand, Joshua is now a best priced 1/4 shot from 1/7 and I'd say that's more indicative of the likely outcome, ie. Joshua favourite to win, but not great value at 1/7. Not really sure why it's such a controversial school of thought really. Those who lumped on Joshua first show won't be best pleased right now, that much is inarguable.

Edited by Comrade 86

12 hours ago, Alph said:

Yeah, Taylor said he wouldn’t be fighting at 140 again after the first Catterall fight , since then he’s fought at ...... 140

Sandy Ryan is fighting Terri Harper should be a decent fight, she was robbed in her last fight against mccaskill I had her winning 8 of the 10 rounds somehow it was scored a draw. It will be interesting how Sandy fights without Clifton Mitchell training her for the first time 

8 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

Sandy Ryan is fighting Terri Harper should be a decent fight, she was robbed in her last fight against mccaskill I had her winning 8 of the 10 rounds somehow it was scored a draw. It will be interesting how Sandy fights without Clifton Mitchell training her for the first time 

One of THE worst calls I've ever seen. A genuine WTFF moment. IIRC, one had McCaskill 4 rounds ahead. I sincerely hope Sandy gets her rematch and that she sets the record straight.

3 minutes ago, Alph said:

Looks like GGG has retired. 

Good. Before somebody he would have whooped 5 years ago manages to outpoint him by being young and fresh. 

Loved GGG fantastic all action fighter got robbed for definite in Canelo first fight and I don’t think he lost the second fight either although it was closer than the first fight 

13 hours ago, Alph said:

Looks like GGG has retired. 

Good. Before somebody he would have whooped 5 years ago manages to outpoint him by being young and fresh. 

Agreed. It's horrible to watch any boxing great go too long, not just for their legacy, but more importantly for their health. 

13 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

Loved GGG fantastic all action fighter got robbed for definite in Canelo first fight and I don’t think he lost the second fight either although it was closer than the first fight 

He's a bona fide great. I think nearly everyone agreed that he took the first fight with Canelo. The second I didn't think he did enough to get a decision in a title fight, but the 'loss' was marginal. It's a shame that in recent years us fans end up talking about the scoring as much as the fights themselves. Fans and the fighters themselves even more so, deserve better.

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Agreed. It's horrible to watch any boxing great go too long, not just for their legacy, but more importantly for their health. 

He's a bona fide great. I think nearly everyone agreed that he took the first fight with Canelo. The second I didn't think he did enough to get a decision in a title fight, but the 'loss' was marginal. It's a shame that in recent years us fans end up talking about the scoring as much as the fights themselves. Fans and the fighters themselves even more so, deserve better.

I think Adelaide Byrd scored the first GGG v Canelo 10/2 for Canelo she should’ve never been allowed to judge a fight again 

52 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

What do we think of Wardley vs (Burton-born) Clarke?

Don’t particularly rate either of them could go either way but can’t see either getting much above fighting for a British title, European title at a push 

34 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

Don’t particularly rate either of them could go either way but can’t see either getting much above fighting for a British title, European title at a push 

I'm finding the build-up quite funny. I feel like they'll be good mates after it's done. There's no hate or disrespect there at all.