Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

7 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The gag were he pretends he would have beat Calzaghe was always my favourite.

The other one that gets him is any mention of Andre Ward. 

He can take and dish out some good banter but watch him fluster at the mention of Ward. 

He's like the one who shall not be named. 

Carl Froch was a very lucky fellow, he was seconds away from losing against Jermaine Taylor. Had that happened no way would he gone on to have had the big fights that defined his career. That first Groves fight even he would have to admit it could have gone the other way, both in that he could have been stopped and then that Groves was when some refs would have let it go a bit more - who knows what might have happened.

I liked Froch's grit, he never knew he was beat, but it could so easily have been a far less impactful career. As for him ever being able to beat Calzaghe - oh don't even go there, no chance. And as for every clickbait article where he's rent a quote on who will likely win the U-18s amateur flyweight of Kazakhstan, he might want to take a moment to realise his view is of little to no interest.

On 05/02/2024 at 12:59, Comrade 86 said:

According to the Bivol camp, they offered Buatsi a shot and £1.5 million guaranteed a year or so back, but Buatsi's camp, perhaps wisely, weren't interested. TBH, I think folk are sitting by the river hoping to 'see the body' of one of the Russians float by. One less monster out there would be better right? Probs not though, as that still leaves another monster lurking.

Anyway, Yarde the next fight for Buatsi apparently, 'on his way' to the winner of the Russian fight.

Good luck with that! 

Massive step isn't it? From Yarde/Buatsi to Bivol/Beterbiev? 

The loser of Yarde v Buatsi might be happier than the winner!

On 07/02/2024 at 15:52, BaaLocks said:

Carl Froch was a very lucky fellow, he was seconds away from losing against Jermaine Taylor. Had that happened no way would he gone on to have had the big fights that defined his career. That first Groves fight even he would have to admit it could have gone the other way, both in that he could have been stopped and then that Groves was when some refs would have let it go a bit more - who knows what might have happened.

I liked Froch's grit, he never knew he was beat, but it could so easily have been a far less impactful career. As for him ever being able to beat Calzaghe - oh don't even go there, no chance. And as for every clickbait article where he's rent a quote on who will likely win the U-18s amateur flyweight of Kazakhstan, he might want to take a moment to realise his view is of little to no interest.

I don't really you can attribute his career to luck. I'm not his biggest fan but I can't knock his record and he would and did fight anyone. Some of his fights were stonewall classics, tear-ups from start to finish and that puts bums on seats and that's what earned him a place at the top table. The only thing that always irritated me was his relentless love-in with himself.

As for Calazaghe, yeah, different levels, though the list of fighters who couldn't beat Joe is a very long one. In fairness to Froch, I do think he really believed he could beat Joe, but I think the Welshman would have absolutely schooled him. It's a fight I'd like to have seen though.

34 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I don't really you can attribute his career to luck.

Which is why I didn't - I merely said he had a couple of moments, and that is all it was, that helped define him. Had Taylor not walked onto one, when Froch was well behind on the cards, had he been stopped in the first Groves fight (or Groves not been stopped) we would be talking about him in the same way as someone like Rocky Fielding or Callum Smith, game fellow who fought a good 'un but ultimately didn't get to the very top.

As it is we, as you say, remembering him for his wins against Kessler, Dirrell, Abraham and Bute (his finest night after Groves II imho).

Carl Froch wasn't as skilled as some of his opponents, but he could overraw them because you couldn't knock him out. Imagine somebody like Amir Khan, with his ridiculously fast hands, coupled with the chin of Carl Froch. Would almost be unbeatable.

Froch's arrogance probably stems from the fact that nobody at 168 or below could knock him out. You could outpoint him, like Ward did, by just outboxing him and having amazing defence, but that's pretty much the only way. 

All boxers are world beaters until they get knocked out. And Froch never got knocked out.

That said, he only stuck at 168 and called out the likes of GGG because he had 10 pounds on him. He would never have challenged Kovalev at 175 unlike Ward who proved he was levels above.

11 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Which is why I didn't - I merely said he had a couple of moments, and that is all it was, that helped define him. Had Taylor not walked onto one, when Froch was well behind on the cards, had he been stopped in the first Groves fight (or Groves not been stopped) we would be talking about him in the same way as someone like Rocky Fielding or Callum Smith, game fellow who fought a good 'un but ultimately didn't get to the very top.

As it is we, as you say, remembering him for his wins against Kessler, Dirrell, Abraham and Bute (his finest night after Groves II imho).

I was responding to your comment below. Anyway, I'm out.

On 07/02/2024 at 15:52, BaaLocks said:

Carl Froch was a very lucky fellow, he was seconds away from losing against Jermaine Taylor. Had that happened no way would he gone on to have had the big fights that defined his career.

Taylor v Cattrrell 2 sounds like being set for Leeds Arena April 27th. 

Depending on ticket prices I might pop up to see Josh fight before he retires. 

It can't be as bad as the 1st fight. 

11 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Taylor v Cattrrell 2 sounds like being set for Leeds Arena April 27th. 

Depending on ticket prices I might pop up to see Josh fight before he retires. 

It can't be as bad as the 1st fight. 

Before he retires? You think he'll get beat (again)? I fancy him to show up big time. 

Remember few years ago a lad I knew was part of Dave Ryan's camp (part of Sandy Ryan's now). He said we're going to be taking Dave up to Scotland to fight this lad who they're making a fuss of. They're saying he's going to be something special. But Dave has experience and might be able to upset him. You know Olympians are sometimes too clean boxers and don't like a fight. 

That was Josh Taylor. I feel like if he loses this that he's not quite hit the mark that was expected. 

Glad he's took this fight. Catterall deserves that at least 

Not disrespecting Taylors fantastic career but I think he was marked to not just win world titles but become a star of his era and win biggest fights against the elite. 

Edited by Alph
Winning world titles isn't to be sniffed at

3 hours ago, Alph said:

You think he'll get beat (again)? I fancy him to show up big time. 

Yeah can't see Taylor losing again. He'll know what to expect now and box his way to a UD win I think. 

1 hour ago, Henrycav81 said:

Taylor certainly won’t lose if they have the same judges as last time, Catterall was robbed last time out

Might watch the fight again, as I'm not entirely certain Taylor beats him second time either based on what I recall, so maybe a refresh is required. All I recall thinking at the time was that Catterall was good value, despite the absurd judging of the contest.

Vegas line has Catterall at +750, with Taylor -900. I'm thinking I must have missed something!

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Might watch the fight again, as I'm not entirely certain Taylor beats him second time either based on what I recall, so maybe a refresh is required. All I recall thinking at the time was that Catterall was good value, despite the absurd judging of the contest.

Vegas line has Catterall at +750, with Taylor -900. I'm thinking I must have missed something!

I watched the first fight live and thought Catterall won comfortably, I often watch fights again and sometimes you can appreciate why it was scored differently to what you initially thought, having watched the Taylor v Catterall fight again I can’t for the life of me think why anyone would think Taylor won the fight. For that reason I hope Caterall wins the rematch also I think Taylor spoke like a prat after the first fight 

1 minute ago, Henrycav81 said:

I watched the first fight live and thought Catterall won comfortably, I often watch fights again and sometimes you can appreciate why it was scored differently to what you initially thought, having watched the Taylor v Catterall fight again I can’t for the life of me think why anyone would think Taylor won the fight. For that reason I hope Caterall wins the rematch also I think Taylor spoke like a prat after the first fight 

Yeah, that was my impression, hence my surprise at the the way the fight was priced up. I think on the after fight stuff, it was a bit embarrassing, but in fairness, he should never have been in that position, while two of the judges should never work again. Folk are saying that it'll be different this time, so presumably something was awry last time out, though I wasn't aware what, then or now.

2 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Yeah, that was my impression, hence my surprise at the the way the fight was priced up. I think on the after fight stuff, it was a bit embarrassing, but in fairness, he should never have been in that position, while two of the judges should never work again. Folk are saying that it'll be different this time, so presumably something was awry last time out, though I wasn't aware what, then or now.

Word at the time was Taylor was struggling to make the weight, i think he said after the fight that he would be moving up a division and if Catterall wanted a rematch it would have to be at a higher weight. I think Catterall had already moved up a weight to take the first fight. Ben Shallom who is Taylor’s promotor said Catterall had won by at least two rounds and that the decision was a bad night for boxing 

8 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

Word at the time was Taylor was struggling to make the weight, i think he said after the fight that he would be moving up a division and if Catterall wanted a rematch it would have to be at a higher weight. I think Catterall had already moved up a weight to take the first fight. Ben Shallom who is Taylor’s promotor said Catterall had won by at least two rounds and that the decision was a bad night for boxing 

Cheers Henry, that makes sense.