Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

I actually suspect the two of them quite like each other behind the scenes, but there is no way Fury is going to approach this fight without all the mind games you would expect. The bookies will probably sensibly have Fury as favourite, but I have to say I have a feeling Joshua could surprise people. 

Yeah, I don't think any animosity goes deep. Tbh I don't believe Fury has anything like that for anyone. Probably explains why he's always able to mess with opponents and they don't know how to take him

I favour Fury but I think some of the doubters about AJ are very harsh. Think they're looking for a weakness all the time. The guy is capable of beating anybody in the world. His Povetkin win is massively underrated. 

I think I'd prefer Fury to win but I know that mostly I'll feel bad for the loser. Great Champions and it's almost a shame they aren't at opposite ends of their careers. Almost. 

Finally two boxing champions fighting at the right time for both men. 

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah, I don't think any animosity goes deep. Tbh I don't believe Fury has anything like that for anyone. Probably explains why he's always able to mess with opponents and they don't know how to take him

I favour Fury but I think some of the doubters about AJ are very harsh. Think they're looking for a weakness all the time. The guy is capable of beating anybody in the world. His Povetkin win is massively underrated. 

I think I'd prefer Fury to win but I know that mostly I'll feel bad for the loser. Great Champions and it's almost a shame they aren't at opposite ends of their careers. Almost. 

Finally two boxing champions fighting at the right time for both men. 

Joshua has beaten some good names, and his one loss vs Ruiz that got him a lot of detractors probably made him a better fighter for it! I'm the same as you, I like both of them. Two top quality British champions. Definitely going to smash all viewership records in this country. 

Joshua's CV is gonna be ridiculous after this. You'll probably still get haters on YouTube saying he's fought bin men. 

I mean even guys like Pulev... the shape and mental condition Pulev in was the best in years. All of them have come better than ever. 

Except maybe Ruiz for the second fight but that shows he isn't a worthy champion. 

Wlad came in tremendous shape and brought everything too. 

Edited by Alpha

Fury from the 2nd Wilder fight has to be a favourite, but Joshua has more skill than Wilder has and might catch Fury on the chin. 

A Joshua performance like the Ruiz 2nd fight is a non starter, Fury will outpoint him. 

I don't know why, but I wonder if Fury can get himself into the same mindset and physical shape this time.  The Wilder performance was a high bar to set. 

It's a shame one of them has to lose, it's been halcyon days for the brits in the heavyweight division. 

If Fury fights Kronk style like he did Vs Wilder, it plays into AJ's hands. Fury to win has got to fight on the outside like he did Vs Wlad. I think AJ will prepare for that and do his best to counteract that. People are massively underrating AJ I think and it's probably a lot closer than people say. 

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

Joshua has beaten some good names, and his one loss vs Ruiz that got him a lot of detractors probably made him a better fighter for it! I'm the same as you, I like both of them. Two top quality British champions. Definitely going to smash all viewership records in this country. 

26+ million watched two Muhammad Ali fights in the 70's!

Insane numbers, nearly half the population. 

It will smash the PPV takings no doubt, I just wonder what the robbing gits will charge? 

I'm going for £29.99 for the 1st fight, and maybe a fiver more for the rematch.

Just now, Rev said:

26+ million watched two Muhammad Ali fights in the 70's!

Insane numbers, nearly half the population. 

It will smash the PPV takings no doubt, I just wonder what the robbing gits will charge? 

I'm going for £29.99 for the 1st fight, and maybe a fiver more for the rematch.

Good point, I meant on PPV, I had no idea that Ali had 26 million viewers in this country mind! Knowing that the average fight on PPV costs about £20, it's going to be eye wateringly expensive...

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Good point, I meant on PPV, I had no idea that Ali had 26 million viewers in this country mind! Knowing that the average fight on PPV costs about £20, it's going to be eye wateringly expensive...

Eddie's already come out and denied it'll be £50, but when Sky have the Whyte rematch at £25 it's surely going to be more.

I'm sure I've read that in the states PPV for big fights is around $100, so there is plenty of room upwards.

Good results at the weekend. Parker sneaking up the division and the big fights are gonna start coming in quite soon I'd have thought. But then when you fight on BT you tend to get the rankings before the experience so I hope he's ready when it comes.

Wtf was wrong with Povetkin. What a poor performance. Whyte was good but that was poor from the first bell for Povetkin.

55 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Wtf was wrong with Povetkin. What a poor performance. Whyte was good but that was poor from the first bell for Povetkin.

Didn't look right from the start. I think it was due to him having covid only 3 months ago. I had it around a month ago, was absolutely fine, yet now I get tired incredibly easily/quickly. I imagine that massively affected both his fitness and preparation, because it certainly didn't look like the fighter people are used to seeing.

23 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Didn't look right from the start. I think it was due to him having covid only 3 months ago. I had it around a month ago, was absolutely fine, yet now I get tired incredibly easily/quickly. I imagine that massively affected both his fitness and preparation, because it certainly didn't look like the fighter people are used to seeing.

Not at all. I thought he'd win but right from those weird wobbles in Round 1 I changed my mind. 

Povetkin always does that Mike Tyson thing where he dips and the opponent dips then he comes right under and up with a hard left. Always hurts people with that feint. Never saw him do it at all. He boxed upright. And he's tough as feck.. I don't think Whyte could knock him down like he did when Povetkin bounce back up off the ropes. Wasn't it a jab?!? 

He was terrible. If that was a UK fighter the excuses would be made right now. 

I dunno if he'll bounce back from that defeat. 

Edited by Alpha

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Not at all. I thought he'd win but right from those weird wobbles in Round 1 I changed my mind. 

Povetkin always does that Mike Tyson thing where he dips and the opponent dips then he comes right under and up with a hard left. Always hurts people with that feint. Never saw him do it at all. He boxed upright. And he's tough as feck.. I don't think Whyte could knock him down like he did when Povetkin bounce back up off the ropes. Wasn't it a jab?!? 

He was terrible. If that was a UK fighter the excuses would be made right now. 

I dunno if he'll bounce back from that defeat. 

Povetkin if I remember correctly had never been fully knocked down in a fight before AJ knocked him down. There was one scored vs Price when he was saved by the ropes, but never had a full blown knockdown. Yet, vs Whyte he went down incredibly easily and was wobbly from round 1. Something clearly wasn't right because he's a very hard man, we saw it when he ate Whyte's overhand right with ease a few rounds in.

Personally think he should retire now, he's 41 and had a good career.