Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Puts himself at 3 ahead of Calzaghe.  Reckons he fought no-one then reels the names off including Kessler who he beat in his prime.  Apparently that was because he had a damaged hand though. Then he can't accept fellow pro's telling him he's talking baalocks.

Hysterical.  Reckon Froch has a picture of Calzaghe next to his wedding photo he's still so obsessed. ?

If the Jermain Taylor fight had ended a minute earlier, if Groves had been given a bit more chance to recover from the ref. Froch needs to remember he was a good fighter, and  a joy to watch in the ring, but the fates played into his hands on more than one occassion.

Technically he was nowhere on the level of Calzaghe and I wouldn't have Froch in the top five British super middleweights, never mind all.

Not sure about the stoppage on the Conor Benn fight - real time Vargas looked completely sparked and out but as soon as the fight stopped he appeared completely lucid. Tell you what, Conor's Dad would have a couple more 'L's on his record if that ref had been officiating Nigel's fights.

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Not sure about the stoppage on the Conor Benn fight - real time Vargas looked completely sparked and out but as soon as the fight stopped he appeared completely lucid. Tell you what, Conor's Dad would have a couple more 'L's on his record if that ref had been officiating Nigel's fights.

Courtney and Bridges was a good fight.

I usually switch over when a woman's bout comes on but they threw everything at each other. 

Agree with your view about the Benn stoppage, Vargas could have possibly gone down to take a count. 

Fair play to Benn, he was sharp and accurate right from the start. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Paul’s are cashing in whilst true boxing fans are having to watch their sport get turned into a circus.

Mayweather loves his money, that we all know, so it’s no surprise but to see one of the greats, lower himself to this and the McGregor fight must be sad to see.

Media outlets giving the daily coverage must be a real kick between the legs for genuine up and coming boxers.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

He could be a top contender if he stays in good shape, he has incredibly fast hands for a heavyweight. I'd like to see him fight Whyte or Wilder. 

I'd say he probably has greater natural hand speed than any of them. It's an interesting one in that if the power is still there, he could definitely prove a handful. It's quite freakish what he's achieved given how poorly conditioned he's tended to be. Certainly adds some spice to a division that's bubbled up nicely in recent times.

Just now, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'd say he probably has greater natural hand speed than any of them. It's an interesting one in that if the power is still there, he could definitely prove a handful. It's quite freakish what he's achieved given how poorly conditioned he's tended to be. Certainly adds some spice to a division that's bubbled up nicely in recent times.

Even in the last Joshua fight where he was ridiculously out of shape, he still had moments where he showed how dangerous he was. Yeah, the heavyweight division is the most stacked in quite some time, Usyk, Wilder, Parker, Whyte, and Ruiz are all pretty good contenders, and obviously it'll be one of the most hyped heavyweight fights for a long time if Hearn can actually get this Joshua vs Fury fight made. 

27 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Even in the last Joshua fight where he was ridiculously out of shape, he still had moments where he showed how dangerous he was. Yeah, the heavyweight division is the most stacked in quite some time, Usyk, Wilder, Parker, Whyte, and Ruiz are all pretty good contenders, and obviously it'll be one of the most hyped heavyweight fights for a long time if Hearn can actually get this Joshua vs Fury fight made. 

Worst he's ever been I reckon. Reports of him tuning up to train still off his tits from the night's partying. My kinda guy ? When you lose 5 lbs and still aren't cut, you know you were carrying some extra timber!

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Worst he's ever been I reckon. Reports of him tuning up to train still off his tits from the night's partying. My kinda guy ? When you lose 5 lbs and still aren't cut, you know you were carrying some extra timber!

Meant 55lbs, obviously ? 

14 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'm no gym freak but when you what any boxer puts themselves through to get to the top of their game it's amazing to think that he was willing to just throw it all away. If he'd done all of this before the second Joshua fight he could we wiping his bum on $100 bills for the rest of his days now.

But I agree, the second tier of heaveyweights looks very interesting. We've gone from it being Samuel Peter, Kubrat Pulev and the likes of bums that Klitschko used to grind down to a place where any champion (Joshua or Fury) knows they have to be on their game every single fight. In a way it's stronger than the 70s when we had Norton, Shavers, Bugner, Jerry Quarry and the like waiting in the wings.

Another 'circus' developing here as the latest big fight to come under threat is the Canelo-BJS fight, this time over the ring-size. Canelo's team want a 20ft ring, BJS team wanted 24ft, but are prepared to accept a 22ft compromise.

Much has been made of pantomime shows like the Mayweather-Paul 'fight' and understandably so, but when you look at stuff like this and the AJ-Fury malarkey, you can't help but think that boxing's key promoters really don't help matters. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/56989061

On 28/04/2021 at 08:58, David said:

The Paul’s are cashing in whilst true boxing fans are having to watch their sport get turned into a circus.

Mayweather loves his money, that we all know, so it’s no surprise but to see one of the greats, lower himself to this and the McGregor fight must be sad to see.

Media outlets giving the daily coverage must be a real kick between the legs for genuine up and coming boxers.

Yeh boxing dont help itself tho! Theres your hardcore boxing fans and theres the main stream fans! Very few fights cross over into the mainstream! I think the reason these exhibitions are so popular with the mainstream fight fans is because not enough real boxers are fighting each other at there peaks! Theres a lot of ducking and waiting until one or both are off the boil! Khan v brook, spence jr v crawford, fury v aj etc etc, promoters try and protect there fighters/cash cows! You need big fights to get mainstream fans interested! These exhibitions fill the void!