Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

I honestly thing AJ vs Usyk is the most intriguing fight in recent years - probably only Canelo vs Golovkin has come close to being so hard to call. Usyk is not a natural heavyweight, but neither was Ali, and his technical skills are beyond compare at the heavier weights - just look at how he dispatched Bellew, top drawer stuff. AJ is prone to getting caught by faster men, Dillian did it and AJ probably knows that Usyk can out stamina him. Such a tough one to call, anyone who tells you they know who is going to win is blowing.

35 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I honestly thing AJ vs Usyk is the most intriguing fight in recent years - probably only Canelo vs Golovkin has come close to being so hard to call. Usyk is not a natural heavyweight, but neither was Ali, and his technical skills are beyond compare at the heavier weights - just look at how he dispatched Bellew, top drawer stuff. AJ is prone to getting caught by faster men, Dillian did it and AJ probably knows that Usyk can out stamina him. Such a tough one to call, anyone who tells you they know who is going to win is blowing.

Is it really that hard to call? Usyk struggled with Chisora. Joshua is the bigger stronger man, but is also a technically good boxer. Usyk doesn't have the same danger that Ruiz had for Joshua, and he came through that test. I'm confident Joshua wins, whether it's points or knockout. 

Oh, I do think AJ is gonna take some heavy shots though. Usyk will cut through his defence. 

But ultimately I think he's too small to get the stoppage and when AJ senses his chance to put the pressure on that he will be too big and strong for Usyk. Just like with the Pulev fight AJ's power will start having an effect past the halfway stage. 

Definitely going to know he's been in a fight though. Like the Takam and Povetkin fights where he had to battle through some pain

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

Oh, I do think AJ is gonna take some heavy shots though. Usyk will cut through his defence. 

But ultimately I think he's too small to get the stoppage and when AJ senses his chance to put the pressure on that he will be too big and strong for Usyk. Just like with the Pulev fight AJ's power will start having an effect past the halfway stage. 

Definitely going to know he's been in a fight though. Like the Takam and Povetkin fights where he had to battle through some pain

Usyk is a whole different level to Takam, Povetkin or Ruiz in technical skills, he's obviously not quite Loma in terms of footwork but his technique is top level indeed. Joshua is a great boxer and you can't deny he has much on his side but he has always been prone to being a little wooden and open - it's something he's worked on a lot but Usyk will have a pretty solid game plan around angles and speed that Joshua is going to have to work hard to not get caught out by.

And this idea that Usyk is somehow small and doesn't pose a danger - I'm sure Bellew would have a view on that and the David Allen interview on Sky Sports Boxing suggests also this is not some puffed up lightweight going for a dance around points win.

In conclusion, yup I agree - I think AJ will come through after a tough old scrap, probably late rounds TKO, but if Usyk wins there will be something inside that says 'yup, can't say I didn't see that coming'.

12 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Must be blowing then as I reckon AJ stops him. Folk make much of Usyk's technical ability and rightly so, but let's not forget AJ won gold at the same Olympics. He's not just a banger. Also think an comparison to Ali is a bit irrelevant. Ali was putting away the likes of Foreman and Frazier back when they were terrifying. Usyk has yet to box a HW remotely close to that kind of level. Not dismissing his chance b any means, just think AJ far more likely to win.

40 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Usyk is a whole different level to Takam, Povetkin or Ruiz in technical skills, he's obviously not quite Loma in terms of footwork but his technique is top level indeed. Joshua is a great boxer and you can't deny he has much on his side but he has always been prone to being a little wooden and open - it's something he's worked on a lot but Usyk will have a pretty solid game plan around angles and speed that Joshua is going to have to work hard to not get caught out by.

And this idea that Usyk is somehow small and doesn't pose a danger - I'm sure Bellew would have a view on that and the David Allen interview on Sky Sports Boxing suggests also this is not some puffed up lightweight going for a dance around points win.

In conclusion, yup I agree - I think AJ will come through after a tough old scrap, probably late rounds TKO, but if Usyk wins there will be something inside that says 'yup, can't say I didn't see that coming'.

I'm basing my opinion on Usyk being too small on his fights with Witherspoon and Chisora. I don't think he looked comfortable in clinches and even shots he blocked seemed to momentarily take his balance slightly. Neither man was able to pile on pressure but I think someone the height and speed of AJ will be able to follow up. 

I rate Usyk. I've seen all his fights that there are to see. I know he's very dangerous. 

Boxing, I agree that he's levels above Takam and Povetkin. Boxing, I'd say he's the best heavyweight. 

But those guys have the build and natural weight. Usyk doesn't look natural at that weight imo. 

But I'm not saying this is easy for Joshua at all. If Usyk wins I wouldn't be shocked either. It's a very good match

I know he's going to be the better boxer and he's going to land so many more shots than all of AJ's opponents possibly including Wlad. Definitely no dismissing him. 

Wouldn't surprise me if Usyk take 5 or 6 of the first 6 or 7 rounds and inflicted some injuries. But I just think when AJ has some success that Usyk is going to struggle with a 6ft 6" athletic 17-18st very heavy handed heavyweight. 

59 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Usyk take 5 or 6 of the first 6 or 7 rounds and inflicted some injuries. But I just think when AJ has some success that Usyk is going to struggle with a 6ft 6" athletic 17-18st very heavy handed heavyweight. 

Can't argue with that as a proposal - gonna make things pretty interesting if AJ goes into the championship rounds behind on the cards

12 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Can't argue with that as a proposal - gonna make things pretty interesting if AJ goes into the championship rounds behind on the cards

You just have to hope for a fair scorecard

I want Joshua to win of course but when a boxer gets robbed it's horrible. 

I heard there's a rematch clause but I assume it's only one way? I hope it's not in play if AJ wins. 

The Fury undisputed fight will be even less likely than it already is. 

I think it will similar to the AJ vs Ruiz II fight with both playing it safe and AJ getting a comfortable decision like 117-111 or something.

Usyk is technically a wonderful fighter, but basing on his last two fights he doesn’t throw enough punches at heavyweight to really get on top.

He merely outlasted Chisora and he won’t be able to do the same to AJ who himself has become more strategic rather than a knockout artist.

Quite the anti-climax. 

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Quite the anti-climax. 

In some ways I hope you're right but there have been a few that have stepped up a weight and made it work - Holyfield, Haye, Moorer, Archie Moore being a couple of names who have had some success coming up the weights. I'm with @Alpha - who tbf knows a fair bit more about the sweet science than I could claim - tough night at the office but ultimately prevails. But anti-climax? I doubt it.

52 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Hey what about Caleb Plant v Canelo

How smashed up Plant going to be? As if anyone needs an angry Canelo

Yeah, that was not the way to manage the pre-fight hype. Just about his only chance was to get taken too lightly but he pressed the detonator on that option.

50 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Yeah, that was not the way to manage the pre-fight hype. Just about his only chance was to get taken too lightly but he pressed the detonator on that option.

Yep! He's going to get crushed. He even lost the fight at the conference on points ? 

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

Hey what about Caleb Plant v Canelo

How smashed up Plant going to be? As if anyone needs an angry Canelo

Canelo is just in a league of his own. He reigns at Middle, Super Middle and Light Heavy because the competition is absolutely mediocre.

He won’t lose again in his career and make a nice packet as he goes along too. 

GGG is the only who near is his level, but he couldn’t knock him out and would never get a decision.

Canelo’s legacy, however, is tainted. He used PEDs. You can’t just grow from 150lbs to 170lbs plus in a couple of years while maintaining single digit body fat without the use of PEDs. If you were a complete newbie (and weigh around 150lbs) to working out then packing on 20lbs of muscle is achievable, but it would take the best part of 10 years naturally. Canelo has been an athlete since his teenage years. He had aleady filled out when he was fighting at 154lbs level, yet suddenly he can fight at 175lbs and look just as lean... Impossible.

His boxing ability is brilliant though. Losing to Mayweather was the best thing be could have done as it transformed his style and motivated him to work on his defensive game.