Simon Dawkins

YorkshireRam

Not sure I  want him to start for Derby again this season, barring an injury crisis.

This isn't as negative as it first seems however. Today again I thought was another poor performance from him; offered very little going forward, in fact offered very little to the game whatsoever. He just doesn't serve a purpose! We saw what a difference Lingard made when he came on, a more direct approach terrified their defence and led to far more chances being created in 5 minutes, than Dawkins had created all game. He offers very little going back and seems frightened of making a challenge. It's not even an off-day though, he's not very effective within our system of play. Lingard simply has to start on Tuesday.

However, the one role where Dawkins could be fairly useful is off the subs bench. Admittedly, he does often retain possession well so he could become a useful player to bring on when we are 1/2 goals up and want to see a game out. He then becomes more useful than Lingard, for example, who is a more direct, exciting winger, but who is also prone to sometimes losing the ball.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dawkins comes into his own when we are in a position of strength or, as you say, coming off the bench.

Lingard and Ince to start on Tuesday please.

Not a fantastic game by him today, but he does serve a purpose. Without Martin we don't have another outlet that can hold up the ball and keep possession. Today we played a side that came for a draw/smash and grab, so possession wasn't a problem for us. He will be critical in games away from home, at better sides, when there are periods of being under heavy pressure. 

I think Dawkins is a great player, has great ball retention and skill and can score a few when he's on form, his passing is also not bad. What he lacks is that directness which as a team we need at the moment especially on those wings. Him and Forsyth just don't link up well enough which was an issue first half. For me he's not being used properly where he's being played but i'm not sure where else i'd play him.

​when he's on form which this year he hasn't been really. The type of player that he is and where he plays at the moment doesn't facilitate goalscoring. I think he's got goal scoring potential in him. Martin's goalscoring record wasn't stellar until he came here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Martin_(footballer,_born_1988)#2006.E2.80.9307_season

Dawkins played today as part of the clubs strategy of easing lingard into the team.

Man U asked that this was the case.  we are doing as we are told.  

I quite like Dawkins but the difference in class is obvious in my opinion. As others have said, Dawkins has other strenghts that were not obvious or particularly relevant in today's game.

Archived