Simon Dawkins

YorkshireRam

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​No game (except Fulham in the cup) has been ''his game'' this season! He never stands out as a player that looks like he's going to take the game to the opposition whereas most of our other attackers have at some point ie. Ince at Rotherham, Martin at Ipswich etc.

Also, what's the benefit of having close control if he completely lacks end product? He can keep it close to his feet but then can't produce anything of any value... 

​No game (except Fulham in the cup) has been ''his game'' this season! He never stands out as a player that looks like he's going to take the game to the opposition whereas most of our other attackers have at some point ie. Ince at Rotherham, Martin at Ipswich etc.

Also, what's the benefit of having close control if he completely lacks end product? He can keep it close to his feet but then can't produce anything of any value... 

​but you can see the difference between the styles of play of ince and dawkins surely? Saying he's an attacker can mean anything. The type of player Dawkins is doesn't suit direct wing play which is what we are set up for.

​I don't get as annoyed with Ward as I do with Dawkins. At least Ward is trying to create chances, even if he often fails.

There were moments today where I was crying out for Dawkins to just turn and run down the byline, no doubt he had the pace to beat their fullback, but instead he turned with his back to goal and played a nothing pass to Forsyth.

Lingard looked class when he came on, Ince, Lingard and Russell fighting for the two winger spots now in my opinion.

The same fans saying Dawks offers nothing are probably the same fan who still thinks Aaron Lennon would get in a side ahead of Andres Iniesta,

Did you know Ward actually has more goals/assists than Iniesta this season. 

Buzz buzz buzzzzzzz

English fans eh. Couldn't tell their ****from their elbow.

No wonder we've never won a World Cup in donkeys years when our whole mentaity from grassroot football upwards lauds fast running and charging wingers and completely disregards quality ball-playing players who focus more on possession, guile and movement.

BUZZ BUZZ feckin BUZZIN around

The same fans saying Dawks offers nothing are probably the same fan who still thinks Aaron Lennon would get in a side ahead of Andres Iniesta,

Did you know Ward actually has more goals/assists than Iniesta this season. 

Buzz buzz buzzzzzzz

English fans eh. Couldn't tell their ****from their elbow.

No wonder we've never won a World Cup in donkeys years when our whole mentaity from grassroot football upwards lauds fast running and charging wingers and completely disregards quality ball-playing players who focus more on possession, guile and movement.

BUZZ BUZZ feckin BUZZIN around

You have to give Sheff Weds credit today. They were so quick to close us down in their half, as has been said, and with crunching hard tackles that those players who dwell on the ball, or like to control and pick a pass were neutralised. Dawkins lack of pace meant he was limited.

​Dawkins isn't usually the fans' cup of tea when we're chasing the game, because lets be honest he's not really the impact type of player.

Once Sheff Wed sat back and tried to protect their lead, it was perfect for players like Lingard and Bryson to come on and turn the game around as it was for the last 30 minutes attack vs defence.

The problem is, and it's a big problem, is fans perception. People assume the last 30 mins against Rotherham and Sheff Wed (when both were camped with what they have) and us throwing caution to the wind is how we'd play all the time with these two players (Brys and Lingard) starting.

Football doens't work like that. And the same goes for possession and chances - we're obviously going to dominate these aspects when chasing the game and throwing the kitchen sink.

Dawkins does serve a purpose, his ball retention and movement is a quality asset and we all saw against Forest how sh!te we were in possession without him and Hughes and with the reliance of the more direct players /Ward and Brys).

He's just not your typical head down and run it type of player. But let me assure you of something, when playing against better teams where possession is vital players like Dawkins stands out.

Lingard was rubbish in the playoffs at the Ipro because he never touched the ball for Brighton and never made himself available for a pass.

4 days ago people were singing his praises. 

Miles better than Ward. Feint feint smash it

He was no worse than Christie, Hendrick, Buxton, Keogh, Forsyth or Bent. 

Even Ince wasn't much better in the first half.

But I suppose they aren't called Simon Dawkins which helps. He's taken the Leon Best hate figure role really well. 

Bring back Tyson with all his sprinting down the line. 

I'm starting to wonder if we have any good players. 

I think Dawkins' play is a little too predictable at the minute. He's always wanting to come inside. There was an incident yesterday where he received the ball a couple of yards past his man, but instead of using that advantage to go forward down the wing he chose to turn back towards our goal and their defender, and consequently lost the ball. 

I am sure many on here would spend good money to watch a dog chasing an empty plastic bag on a windy day.

Dawks will play a few more games this season when the management think the match requirement suits his technical and tactical prowess. I hope he is with us next season too, if we go up, when his close control, passing skills and ball holding will all be useful attributes.  If we don't go up I hope he moves on and finds a club who play him in a position which is more natural to him (more central, and attacking) and in front of a fan base who might be a bit more appreciative of his quality.

Dawkins set up the second equaliser against the Cherries. He's quick and clever and will have spells where he is off colour and also times when he is vital to the team, much like JR, Ward etc, and like Ince is now and Lindgard is supposed to be in the next match.

Let's be grateful for our wealth of options, Mac knows who's in form from training. 

Can you remember the last time we were this spoiled for choice?

I personally love him to bits..

Archived