Simon Dawkins

YorkshireRam

​Ah no, in my mind, end product is a ball that advances our play ie. a cross, shot on target, through ball etc. Even a ball into a dangerous area.

What it is not, is a pass back to Forsyth that adds nothing to our play and doesn't offer any offensive advantage, the main role of a forward/winger.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Ah no, in my mind, end product is a ball that advances our play ie. a cross, shot on target, through ball etc. Even a ball into a dangerous area.

What it is not, is a pass back to Forsyth that adds nothing to our play and doesn't offer any offensive advantage, the main role of a forward/winger.

Why do you keep bringing up backward passes? Dawkins made more forward passes on Saturday than Ince and he played 30 minutes less - Why are you ignoring that?

I can understand that Dawkins' play perhaps doesn't suit specific matches - I can accept that. But to say he has no purpose is wrong and completely disrespectful to a quality player.

Also, just because Dawks doesn't have 'the final pass' doesn't mean he isn't in any part not involved in the goal.

Check Blackburn away. Dawks turns away from his marker, plays a pass in to Bryson who woefully mis-hits a shot - falls to Ward with an open goal who scores. Who gets the praise for this goal? Yep, the player who mis-hit a woeful shot and the guy who scored an open goal. Nothing on Dawks though, Zilch...

Dawks has the best pass success rate in our squad by the way - the fact he is actually moaned at for this is laughable.

I bet Barcelona wish they had a Jamie Ward type player - one who averages about 60% pass rate and feints, runs into players and smashes 30-yarders over the bar.

Bris, Dawkins may have the best pass % but that by no means makes him out best passer. I'd love to see how many 15+ yard passes he makes, or how many crosses he has completed... 

He may, again, have completeled more "forward" passes than Ince, but that's because Ince has the ability to make things happen, without having to play a 5 yard pass...

Its just an opinion, seemingly a majority opinion though. When Russell and Martin returns to the squad on Saturday, with no other additional injuries, Dawkins won't make the bench.

How many of us would choose Ince over Dawkins if it was a straight up decision between the two of them? Now you have made your decision, what were the reasons behind it?

I came up with the following in this order: Goals, assists, creativity, set pieces, aggressive dribbling.

Now if people say ball retention as their first priority, I understand that, but I'd sooner win games than be concerned over ball retention.

Final point - those who talk about playing a different style away from home, not sure we should be changing our style. We are top of the league, the best team in the Championship, we should play our way.

personally I think Dawkins gets far more stick than he deserves. At one point yesterday he was faced with two defenders and shielded the ball well and kept possession nicely. The ****s behind me went absolutely crazy at him for not attempting to beat his men and get down the side of the box.

he pays the price for not being as direct as some of our other wingers I think.

So the criticism has gone from him having no end product to passing backwards all the time. Then when it's suggested he made more forwards passes than Ince, it's that his forward passes are too short. 

Against Bournemouth he was dangerous and set up the equaliser

Against Rotherham he was dangerous, played a part in Ince's second, his neat flick also playing in Ince that ended in a neat 1-2 and a poor shot from 7 yards. 

Yesterday there were 2 very close attempts to put Hendrick in 1v1 (ended in the FK that Ince hit on target) and Hughes who didn't get control. He then won the corner that lead to the equaliser. 

There's no thread on Jamie Ward who's highlight reel includes a failed pass to Dawkins (yes, that guy) for an open goal then ended in an own goal. 

There's no thread on Grant who lost the plot v Bournemouth when we started so brightly. Then punched mid air for Rotherham's free kick. Then was beaten at his near post on Saturday. 

It's Simon Dawkins. Because Leon Best has gone and it was decided long ago that this was the next nominated donkey. With his 88% pass accuracy he's criticised for them all being backwards. When it's revealed he made more forward ones than Ince he's criticised they're too short. He's been 1 of the last 3 players to touch the ball in 3 of our last 8 league goals. For the other 5 he was on the bench

Apart from being unfairly singled out it seems to me he's been unfairly singled out by people who haven't seen either of the last 2 away games. 

And how is this steering towards a "well he's rubbish because Lingard and Ince are good" etc? 

Different standards for different players. Said it for ages. It's applause for one and rolling eyes for another even if they do the same thing. 

I've learned it's always better to play well at home than away. 

So the criticism has gone from him having no end product to passing backwards all the time. Then when it's suggested he made more forwards passes than Ince, it's that his forward passes are too short. 

Against Bournemouth he was dangerous and set up the equaliser

Against Rotherham he was dangerous, played a part in Ince's second, his neat flick also playing in Ince that ended in a neat 1-2 and a poor shot from 7 yards. 

Yesterday there were 2 very close attempts to put Hendrick in 1v1 (ended in the FK that Ince hit on target) and Hughes who didn't get control. He then won the corner that lead to the equaliser. 

There's no thread on Jamie Ward who's highlight reel includes a failed pass to Dawkins (yes, that guy) for an open goal then ended in an own goal. 

There's no thread on Grant who lost the plot v Bournemouth when we started so brightly. Then punched mid air for Rotherham's free kick. Then was beaten at his near post on Saturday. 

It's Simon Dawkins. Because Leon Best has gone and it was decided long ago that this was the next nominated donkey. With his 88% pass accuracy he's criticised for them all being backwards. When it's revealed he made more forward ones than Ince he's criticised they're too short. He's been 1 of the last 3 players to touch the ball in 3 of our last 8 league goals. For the other 5 he was on the bench

Apart from being unfairly singled out it seems to me he's been unfairly singled out by people who haven't seen either of the last 2 away games. 

And how is this steering towards a "well he's rubbish because Lingard and Ince are good" etc? 

Different standards for different players. Said it for ages. It's applause for one and rolling eyes for another even if they do the same thing. 

I've learned it's always better to play well at home than away. 

Is there a strong correlation between Ward favourers and Buxton lovers? 

I read repeatedly that he's the best passing defender we have. I presume this is because of the 45 yard cross field passes, akin to Ward's head down running. Seem to neglect the inability to pass it 10 yards without getting the podium and megaphone out and screaming "I'm giving it to Forsyth in 2 minutes time!" to the opposition. 

Anyway, point is, seem to be stuck in the past on some players. 

How many of us would choose Ince over Dawkins if it was a straight up decision between the two of them? Now you have made your decision, what were the reasons behind it?

I came up with the following in this order: Goals, assists, creativity, set pieces, aggressive dribbling.

Now if people say ball retention as their first priority, I understand that, but I'd sooner win games than be concerned over ball retention.

Final point - those who talk about playing a different style away from home, not sure we should be changing our style. We are top of the league, the best team in the Championship, we should play our way.

I read repeatedly that he's the best passing defender we have. I presume this is because of the 45 yard cross field passes, akin to Ward's head down running. Seem to neglect the inability to pass it 10 yards without getting the podium and megaphone out and screaming "I'm giving it to Forsyth in 2 minutes time!" to the opposition. 

Archived