Simon Dawkins

YorkshireRam

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's because he doesn't do enough with the ball. Ball "retention" isn't good enough to get into our 11 when everyone is fit, our squad has too much quality now.

Depends what you perceive as excellent. Russell before his injury was excellent, Ince right now is excellent, Ward at the start of the season was excellent. I don't think Dawkins has reached those heights until he made his move permanent in my opinion. A useful player to have, something different, brilliant on the ball, but I think we've got better now. 

​Comparisons with Russell in the context of the performances by Dawkins at Bournemouth and Rotherham are not exactly valid, because Russell was unavailable through injury. He was chosen to start against Sheffield Wednesday on the basis of those performances. Moaning about McClaren choosing to start him in Saturday's match is pointless, because there was nobody better/as effective who could start (Lingard is still being gently eased into the side).

I wholeheartedly agree with the point you make about there being better/more effective/more direct wide players at the club, and under ideal circumstances they should start - and of course Dawkins seems to reserve his best performances for when he comes off the bench.

Archived