Christie

Derbados

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just goes to show what a lack of confidence can do to a player. Ward too, looks short on confidence. He's been getting knocked by a lot on here but when he had a run of games at the start of this season in the team he looked on fire. Now he's been out injured and hasn't had a chance to hit that high again, his confidence has suffered. 

I've managed to derive the stats from when Shotton has played right-back v Christie. 

Shotton gets skinned more per game than Christie - nearly three times more, in fact. 

Shotton makes more tackles per game than Christie - he attempts double the amount but isn't twice as successful because he gets beat more. 

Shotton makes more interceptions per game than Christie - on average, one more interception per game.

Shotton makes more fouls per game than Christie - not much more though. 

Shotton blocks more crosses and passes per game than Christie - Christie blocks more shots, though. 

Shotton makes more accurate long passes than Christie per game - Christie makes a lot more short passes than Shotton per game. 

Christie creates more chances and recorded more assists per minute than Christie. 

Goals conceded per minute from each of them at right back:

Christie - 85.4 minutes per goal conceded

Shotton - 175.5 minutes per goal conceded

I apologise. However, Shotton still has the greater experience - bit older, bit wiser. Christie looking short on confidence?

I'm not a huge fan of him anyway but he certainly seems short of confidence recently. Even with his season at Championship level before, you're right that it's still a big step up. A few more games on the bench won't do him any harm.

I've managed to derive the stats from when Shotton has played right-back v Christie. 

Shotton gets skinned more per game than Christie - nearly three times more, in fact. 

Shotton makes more tackles per game than Christie - he attempts double the amount but isn't twice as successful because he gets beat more. 

Shotton makes more interceptions per game than Christie - on average, one more interception per game.

Shotton blocks more crosses and passes per game than Christie - Christie blocks more shots, though. 

Shotton makes more accurate long passes than Christie per game - Christie makes a lot more short passes than Shotton per game. 

Christie creates more chances and recorded more assists per minute than Christie. 

shotton has scored 2 also has he not?

Stats don't tell the whole story. Football is a team game and there are difficult to measure factors involved such as one player's interaction with another, so its difficult to say if we are more likely to lose with one or the other.

I don't think Shots is a particularly good right back, certainly nowhere near the standard we've been used to in recent years in Brayford and Wisdom. He may well be more suited to a longer run as CB rather than just "given" game time sharing at RB.

Christie is young and still learning, there is an argument that he defends by holding the ball in the opposition half by dragging their players back to mark him, but this calls for very canny decision making and an onus not to lose the ball cheaply.

I don't think there is a big enough issue at right back to cause us to miss out on promotion. Both are adequate in this league.

We need a settled midfield. Thorne, Hughes and Bryson for the rest of the season if fit....Jeff pushing Bryso all the way for a place........Omar if Thorne or Hughes need a rest, and we'll be dancing in Bermondsey celebrating automatic promotion at the end of April!

T Ram - Just got in from the match, I agree with you.

Christie did alright considering the way he was closed down and wasn't really offered any help with overlaps. Thought every time Hendrick passed to Christie it immediately put Christie under pressure.

The radio obviously doesn't tell the full story of the game tonight.

Thought we were going to go on and take all the points at the end - cracking game but defensive silly errors cost us again.

I thought Bucko and Captn K were worse than Christie this evening - don't know how they looked on the radio though ;)

Does anyone know if there's a reason Shotton lost his place for the Bournemouth game? I thought we were looking much more solid with him in there and since then we've conceded 7 in 3. Didn't make much sense to me at the time.

I think Christie has something, pace, power, can defend, but for me having Shotton in there makes us look much more solid and Forsyth seems to benefit from a bit of additional freedom.

Shotton back in at full back for me.

Shotton's only played 3 and a bit games at right back in the league and two of those were pretty easy home games so comparison of stats is a bit pointless. When/If he's played 10 games be able to get a truer reflection.

From what I saw of him in the Blackburn home game, he seemed to know what he wanted to do with the ball when he got it and played the simple pass. Really impressed me, and in that game looked a much better right back than Christie, even made a couple of nice little passes in the corner to make space for Ward to cross it. I don't really see why he lost the place back to Christie and it's looking a bad call by McClaren now.

Christie obviously can offer more going forward, as his assists earlier in the season show. However, for the past few months, he's been too slow to make the pass or cross and is so frustrating. I'd rather have Shotton with less attacking ability who will give the ball to Hughes when he asks for it, than Christie running 20yards with it, turning a couple of times then losing it.

Does anyone know if there's a reason Shotton lost his place for the Bournemouth game? I thought we were looking much more solid with him in there and since then we've conceded 7 in 3. Didn't make much sense to me at the time.

I think Christie has something, pace, power, can defend, but for me having Shotton in there makes us look much more solid and Forsyth seems to benefit from a bit of additional freedom.

Shotton back in at full back for me.

I think, or rather I'm guessing, that against Bournemouth we knew that Ritchie and Francis would be tearing us a new one if Bournemouth had their way.

I think that's why Ward played too. To be a buzzing nuisance to them.

I guess we figured that IF we can't do much down the left and we sort of have to hold that flank then we'd need that bit more umph that Christie has over Shotton. Didn't really turn out that way though.

For Saturday and tonight? No idea. Certainly not why Ward started. Dawkins, Lingard and Ince have played better lately. Dawkins was better at Bournemouth and created more trouble in half the time. He was better than Ward has been for a while on Saturday. Lingard too was better than Ward was against anyone since his return from injury.

Shotton played RB and did nothing wrong but I guess Christie won the shirt back after the Bournemouth tactical switch?

I think against the 'Lower teams' he likes to pick Christie for width and that attacking influence to stretch play. I would scrap that now put Shotton there and just make sure we don't concede silly goals 1st then let the attackers do there job.

Not the only problem thoe  the same defensive triangle costing us stupid points. If we don't go up I can see a lot of changes which will go against us but might benefit us in the long run.

Archived