Missed Opportunity

i-Ram

Yeap. Disgraceful to see the Middlesbrough boss Karanka have a chat and a joke with Ozil at the game yesterday. Of course his best mate is Mourinho, how many Chelsea loan players does he have who are vital to his team? But in truth, it is vital to be a petulant child on the sidelines to inspire your team.

Tripe.

maybe you're ok with it. i don't like to see it. Not in the tunnel before hand, not at half time and not during a substitution.

It was the same when Chelsea rolled into town for the cup game. Smile, roll over and get our bellies tickled by the big time boys.

I dont think it's the right thing to do. it's a competitive game.

Now I'll sit back as everyone somehow finds a way to bring Nigel into the debate.

Nowt to do with the old manager and if I saw him do it, I'd be equally pissed off.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe you're ok with it. i don't like to see it. Not in the tunnel before hand, not at half time and not during a substitution.

It was the same when Chelsea rolled into town for the cup game. Smile, roll over and get our bellies tickled by the big time boys.

Agreed.

We have got a bit of a soft under belly.

the team needs to develop a harder more competitive edge.

To find a way to win when time is ticking away and we need to find an extra gear

Satdee was a great opportunity to try and forge that.

Yes, it was a missed opportunity. If we'd beaten Reading we would be away at Bradford. One win away from the semis with MOST of the big boys out. Arsenal have to play Man Utd in the next round, Aston Villa play West Brom. Maybe we could have gone all the way.

But, McClaren chose to put out a team that he felt was good enough to win the game against a Reading side that we had already beaten twice, once with a "weakened" team in the whatsitthingamy cup. Our left back, a very experienced ex England player, playing because the usual left back was given a rest after playing the last what, 60 league and cup games because we had no cover for him (I won't bother looking up any of the many threads shouting out for him to be dropped because he's total sausage), tried too hard to impress on his debut and a picky ref (correctly) decided to send him off. We had far more possesion than Reading. we had more shots than Reading. Their keeper made more saves than our keeper. We did everything we could to win that game, except score more goals than Reading.

Every year for the whole of my life (I'm 52 this year) we've "missed opportunities" to win the cup. We've won it once, in 1946. I'd love us to win it again. but football is football. Teams lose against "weaker" opposition.  Occasionally, or better put very rarely, a lower league team win the FA cup. Can anyone remember the last time? Arsenal, or Man Utd, or Liverpool (one of the big boys) will probably win the cup this year. It's been that way, except for what 1 or 2 times, for the last 20 odd years.

Missed opportunities. Football is one big missed opportunity for about 86 league clubs every single year. Lets try and make this the year that the Rams don't miss their opportunity. Lets support the team that we all love and lets get back in the permier league. Perhaps we can go on from there and become established and have some real missed opportunities, just like when we were favourites to do the double. Now that would be the time to complain about missed opportunities.

Rant over.

COYR

Now I'll sit back as everyone somehow finds a way to bring Nigel into the debate.

Nowt to do with the old manager and if I saw him do it, I'd be equally pissed off.

But Ronnie... With the deepest of respect... That's what you want when you posted that about Mac having a laugh..

I'm sure that fishing rod was twitching... ;)

Agree with this post, but honestly think we went all or nothing to win and we got nothing, another time we may have won.

Thats where we disagree.

I think we kept plenty in reserve.

No doubt we'd have taken a win if it fell into our lap.

But we didn't make it happen like when we came back from 4-1 down, or won at forest with ten men.

If we could forge that extra gear it could be a real benefit to us in the league or the play offs.

Yes, it was a missed opportunity. If we'd beaten Reading we would be away at Bradford. One win away from the semis with MOST of the big boys out. Arsenal have to play Man Utd in the next round, Aston Villa play West Brom. Maybe we could have gone all the way.

But, McClaren chose to put out a team that he felt was good enough to win the game against a Reading side that we had already beaten twice, once with a "weakened" team in the whatsitthingamy cup. Our left back, a very experienced ex England player, playing because the usual left back was given a rest after playing the last what, 60 league and cup games because we had no cover for him (I won't bother looking up any of the many threads shouting out for him to be dropped because he's total sausage), tried too hard to impress on his debut and a picky ref (correctly) decided to send him off. We had far more possesion than Reading. we had more shots than Reading. Their keeper made more saves than our keeper. We did everything we could to win that game, except score more goals than Reading.

Every year for the whole of my life (I'm 52 this year) we've "missed opportunities" to win the cup. We've won it once, in 1946. I'd love us to win it again. but football is football. Teams lose against "weaker" opposition. Occasionally, or better put very rarely, a lower league team win the FA cup. Can anyone remember the last time? Arsenal, or Man Utd, or Liverpool (one of the big boys) will probably win the cup this year. It's been that way, except for what 1 or 2 times, for the last 20 odd years.

Missed opportunities. Football is one big missed opportunity for about 86 league clubs every single year. Lets try and make this the year that the Rams don't miss their opportunity. Lets support the team that we all love and lets get back in the permier league. Perhaps we can go on from there and become established and have some real missed opportunities, just like when we were favourites to do the double. Now that would be the time to complain about missed opportunities.

Rant over.

COYR

Hmmm. All the big teams that are out. And the manner of the defeat! What would have been a favourable quarter final draw against Bradford.

No sorry it's clear this year stands out. This isn't just another year of getting knocked out of the cup for the reasons stated

And people are supporting the team!

Just to be clear.

I really do think McClaren is doing a brilliant job and I'm genuinely delighted for the club, the players and most of all the fans at just how well this season has gone. I also genuinely hope it ends in promotion.

That won't stop me from thinking

a) McClaren shouldn't be cuddling their substitute and/or

b) that Warnock is a total duck egg and should hang his head in shame, you don't get sent off for two stupid challenges on your debut, there's just no way you do it, stay on your feet, dont make the second challenge. 

It also won't stop me from thinking that his transfer record so far is patchy and still up for debate.

Still waiting for one of his signings to cement a spot, I thought Warnock, Albentosa and Bent were going to be those players but if it wasn't for Chrissy picking up a knock it would now be something like 20 odd signings, two journeymen left backs and STILL no first team regular. not to mention the academy/development players making the first team has pretty much dried up.

Happy Days.

I'll get my hat on.

The likes of Ferguson could get away with it. But it comes down to why they appointed McClaren, to build footballing relationships. The whole mantra of the club is respect, especially with all the swearing frowned upon. How can you focus on the game if you are swearing and losing your rag at the other manager/ref/4th official? Now there is a medium where you can show respect but not be too friendly and I suspect that is what you mean.

I personally see no harm in it. If it was a major issue we would never be where we are in the league. If the team was soft and had no fight, Bournemouth would have walked all over us. We still gave a go against Reading with 10 men. We very rarely get rattled and that is a great mental strength to have.

I don't see McClaren being friendly having any negative impact on the result on Saturday.

But Ronnie... With the deepest of respect... That's what you want when you posted that about Mac having a laugh..

I'm sure that fishing rod was twitching... ;)

I just say it as I see it. Always did and always will.

By the way, when you say with the deepest of respect, do you really mean that ;-)

It's an interesting postulation - that if Derby had beaten Reading then we would have played Bradford.

Cosmic is talking some sense, but some utter dross as well. The ball numbers WERE a fixture - the winner of the tie between Derby and Reading was always going to be ball number 7 - that's because we were the 7th tie to be drawn out in the 5th round.

That's the dross bit.

What is arguable is whether, with Derby County in the draw instead of Reading, it was always going to pan out the way it did. An extra syllable or two spoken in the preamble might have meant an entirely different draw, owing to the balls being stirred slightly more or slightly less.

We will never know.

I just say it as I see it. Always did and always will.

By the way, when you say with the deepest of respect, do you really mean that ;-)

of course I do... "Fingers crossed" ;)

Archived