Still a decent weekend despite cup exit

Kernow

Keep winning is all well and good, but the idea we can't celebrate Bournemouth dropping points because "we should concentrate on ourselves" is ridiculous.

Agreed. Bournemouth dropping points is a big deal.

But I think it's equally ridiculous to be talking of 'net gains' and the weekend being a good thing overall etc when we've just lost a game we were favourites to win. Fixture pile up is an issue but wanting to get promoted and have a cup run aren't mutually exclusive.

- I think our main focus should be on the league

- I'm disappointed we're out of the cup considering the teams already knocked out

- I'm annoyed at Warnock

- I'm annoyed McClaren said we'd never win it anyway

- I think going out the cup may mean some players are fresher for the league due to playing less however some fringe players might not get a game for a while

I don't think any of these points really contradict each other and don't quite understand this debate

If we don't want to play in the FA cup then we could have done a Manu and not entered right?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is a blessing but that is mainly because of the distraction that the Chelsea game caused us this year and last. 

A quarter final against United or Arsenal, or even a semi at Wembley would have been a major distraction that I really don't think we need. 

I think it is a blessing but that is mainly because of the distraction that the Chelsea game caused us this year and last.

A quarter final against United or Arsenal, or even a semi at Wembley would have been a major distraction that I really don't think we need.

That week we played Boro, Chelsea and Norwich must have took some effort. We've got a bigger squad now though

Agreed. Bournemouth dropping points is a big deal.

But I think it's equally ridiculous to be talking of 'net gains' and the weekend being a good thing overall etc when we've just lost a game we were favourites to win. Fixture pile up is an issue but wanting to get promoted and have a cup run aren't mutually exclusive.

- I think our main focus should be on the league

- I'm disappointed we're out of the cup considering the teams already knocked out

- I'm annoyed at Warnock

- I'm annoyed McClaren said we'd never win it anyway

- I think going out the cup may mean some players are fresher for the league due to playing less however some fringe players might not get a game for a while

I don't think any of these points really contradict each other and don't quite understand this debate

If we don't want to play in the FA cup then we could have done a Manu and not entered right?

I'm sure no one would be complaining if we'd have won. A few might be complaining if we drew. But there's also no real reason to complain now we've lost. Positives to be taken either way. The cup is really a shot to nothing. There'll always be next year.

Really rooting for Middlesbrough to get a draw today.

BUMP

By the way, let's theorise a bit more. Say next season we are in the Prem, and relegation is still a bit of a concern - let's say we are 5 points off 18th. How many of you are going to think I don't want to stay in the Cup, as concentrating on staying in the league is far more important.

It could have been worse. For instance, Omar could have been sent off for his second foul, given the ref we had. And had he stayed on I was expecting a second yellow for him, the way he plays.

And I thought Keogh should have gone for the save, but got away with it. As it is, both are available for Rotherham and every game is a cup final from now on. #ClicheAlert

And there's a lot of pressure on Bournemouth who have dropped to third favourites now. Wish I'd waited before putting my insurance bet on them!

Bradford, Blackburn, Villa and WBA still in it. 4 in 7 chance we could have got one of them in a QF game, and all beatable if we played well. Perspective.

I get you are pissed off/disappointed. We didn't lose because we didn't try. We tried to win the game. Warnock was both unlucky and a little foolish, unlucky in that neither challenge was particularly worthy of a yellow and foolish in making such a challenge once on a yellow.

Take the positives. By all media accounts, Derby played well enough, heard plenty of comments that it was impossible to tell who had the 10 men. Bent is proving he can do the job of our main front man. We did all that without our 3 best players, Martin, Hughes and Grant. Could McClaren have put Hughes on? Glad he didn't. Hughes is vital to us getting promoted, he is a young player who has played an awful lot of football for his age and he does need managing sensibly. If we had played crap yesterday, I'd get why there is such annoyance.

I look at it this way. We win promotion, we stand a good chance of keeping our better players, but more importantly, our coaching staff. We do not get promoted, all could be at risk. Winning an FA cup will just raise the awareness of our players and coaches. In an ideal world, we would get promoted and challenge for the cup.

Even if we had won yesterday, the next round McClaren would still have rotated the squad. We had a good cup run, it could have gone on further but it is done now. All systems go for the league and of course we can enjoy Bournemouth dropping points. We can enjoy the fact that we go out to win games.

I would also have hated for our team to lose at Wembley in the Semi finals, if we had got there. That could well have derailed our promotion bid, a second failure at Wembley in under a year might be a huge mental strain on some players. The league is in our hands, the cup was a lottery.

I have read some real crap on here today and yesterday, this probably adds to it, but a lot of it is so negative. Concerns me how many times lately McClaren has talked of fans understanding in recent games.

I get you are pissed off/disappointed. We didn't lose because we didn't try. We tried to win the game. Warnock was both unlucky and a little foolish, unlucky in that neither challenge was particularly worthy of a yellow and foolish in making such a challenge once on a yellow.

Take the positives. By all media accounts, Derby played well enough, heard plenty of comments that it was impossible to tell who had the 10 men. Bent is proving he can do the job of our main front man. We did all that without our 3 best players, Martin, Hughes and Grant. Could McClaren have put Hughes on? Glad he didn't. Hughes is vital to us getting promoted, he is a young player who has played an awful lot of football for his age and he does need managing sensibly. If we had played crap yesterday, I'd get why there is such annoyance.

I look at it this way. We win promotion, we stand a good chance of keeping our better players, but more importantly, our coaching staff. We do not get promoted, all could be at risk. Winning an FA cup will just raise the awareness of our players and coaches. In an ideal world, we would get promoted and challenge for the cup.

Even if we had won yesterday, the next round McClaren would still have rotated the squad. We had a good cup run, it could have gone on further but it is done now. All systems go for the league and of course we can enjoy Bournemouth dropping points. We can enjoy the fact that we go out to win games.

I would also have hated for our team to lose at Wembley in the Semi finals, if we had got there. That could well have derailed our promotion bid, a second failure at Wembley in under a year might be a huge mental strain on some players. The league is in our hands, the cup was a lottery.

I have read some real crap on here today and yesterday, this probably adds to it, but a lot of it is so negative. Concerns me how many times lately McClaren has talked of fans understanding in recent games.

Lot of good points here, none of which I disagree with. You misunderstand me though Buddy. I am not pissed off with losing; I became conditioned to that from about Docherty onwards. I am pissed off with supporters on here thinking it is no bad thing we lost yesterday (with a good number thinking it vastly improves our chances of going up). I think it makes no difference to that. Progressing in the cup would not have been detrimental to league success imo.

Archived