Still a decent weekend despite cup exit

Kernow

We've gone out of the cup, which may disappoint some who would have preferred the FA Cup over promotion but let's be honest, it was never happening.

We got excited because Chelsea & City went out to lower opposition, but even if we got to the final chances are we'd still have had to face Arsenal/United/Liverpool and lost which would've made it so near but so far.

Bournemouth have slipped up at home to Huddersfield which means if we beat Rotherham we go back into the top 2. I don't know about everyone else but I'd have picked a loss today and a win on Tuesday over a win today and loss on Tuesday. Watford snatched a last minute winner, and Ipswich are a few seconds away from winning, but other than that teams like Brentford lose to allow us to increase our gap from 7th place.

We've made 7 changes, played with 10 men for 50 minutes and still given a full strength decent Championship team a bloody good game. I have no doubts that when it comes to playing them for the 4th time this season on the last game of the season, our best 11 v theirs, we will beat them.

Well done to Reading and good luck in the quarter finals but I'm really not downbeat about this defeat at all. I'm not glad we lost obviously, but for me promotion has always prioritised over any cup and I'm glad we can put every focus on the league now.

Also, Forest led 3-2 & 4-3 against nine man Blackpool, yes nine man Blackpool. They scored a "winner" in injury time, only for Blackpool to equalise and score 4 goals against them. I believe the term for this scenario is "lol", is it not?

COYR.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything but a replay. Warnock, very naive being on a yellow.

We'd have won 11v11 i've no doubts about that. Done with now and blessing in disguise, big game Tuesday now!

Agree with most of what's been said.

Think we were a bit wasteful in front of goal today and looked to shoot from distance too many times instead of working it into the box, but ah well - every team has those days.

If we beat Rotherham on Tuesday we'll be top for the night putting all the pressure on Middlesbrough, away to Birmingham on Wednesday night. Could be massive. 

That's a very naive point, Bournemouth dropping two points is huge.

Not sure how it can be naive. The OP reckons a decent weekend is us losing at home to a team worse than us, when we could be in the FA Cup QF, and he and you are excited by one of only two genuine challengers to us in the league getting a draw. Bizarre. I think I will continue this great weekend by walking in front of a bus.

Not sure how it can be naive. The OP reckons a decent weekend is us losing at home to a team worse than us, when we could be in the FA Cup QF, and he and you are excited by one of only two genuine challengers to us in the league getting a draw. Bizarre. I think I will continue this great weekend by walking in front of a bus.

This week could have gone a lot worse. Had we lost a tough game away at one of those two genuine challengers, it may well have allowed them to maintain their momentum and continued their winning streak against Huddersfield today. Therefore putting them 6 points clear of us, so that even with a game in hand we'd be behind them both on GD and points, not to mention where we'd be compared to Boro. When you play a team with 7 changes from the league first XI, and go down to 10 men within half an hour, you can't be that disappointed with a close 1-2 loss. 

We're still very much in the title race, and going out of the cup, albiet disappointing, gives us the opportunity to concentrate on winning the league. Feel free to walk under a bus before the season is over if you please, but you'll be the one missing out on an extremely exciting run-in. 

More reasons to be positive than there are to be negative, I think is the point of the OP.

I think it's a decent weekend because our challengers have dropped points where most would expect them not to.

You're probably part of the cup>promotion group, but I'm not. Give me PL over FA Cup any day, at least we can build to be a decent top flight side which an FA Cup win and staying in tier 2 wouldn't do.

Obviously I'd have wanted us to win, and I think we would've if we'd been 11v11, which says a lot considering we made 7 changes.

If come Tuesday night we're top (albeit maybe only for 24 hours) then I honestly couldn't give a hoot about this result. We should be in the last 8 yes, but then what? If we drew Arsenal/United/Liverpool and lost. It's just another game to distract us from the bigger prize.

Let's just move on we've got bigger things to worry about than our second side with 10 men losing 2-1 to a team in our division.

I am ok not to make QF of cup yes, I am fine with it.Yes we were better team I feel even with 10 men,but did not win.**** happens.

We have to take advantage of Bournemouth and Brentford dropping points and I believe we will at Rotherham.

I for one am going to drink some good beer,eat a **** ton of nacho's,and enjoy the rest of my Saturday and weekend.

Roos - Grant

Christie - Shotton

Keogh - Keogh

Shotton - Bucko

Warnock - Forsyth

Mascarell - Thorne

Hendrick - Hendrick

Bryson - Hughes

Lingard - Ince

Bent - Martin

Dawkins - Russell

To start a game against a full strength side in our division with only three players playing who in my opinion would make our strongest eleven is an incredible signal of where we are at the moment.

The cup was never really on the cards despite the premature hype. Promotion however is.

I am ok not to make QF of cup yes, I am fine with it.Yes we were better team I feel even with 10 men,but did not win.**** happens.

We have to take advantage of Bournemouth and Brentford dropping points and I believe we will at Rotherham.

I for one am going to drink some good beer,eat a **** ton of nacho's,and enjoy the rest of my Saturday and weekend.

Amen AR.

Your naivety is not being jubilant that our closest contenders to the autos dropped two points in an absolute banker of a home fixture. If we win Tuesday, it's all in our hands.

Your naivety is not being jubilant that our closest contenders to the autos dropped two points in an absolute banker of a home fixture. If we win Tuesday, it's all in our hands.

No absolute bankers in football. See our home games vs Millwall and Forest as just two examples. It was all in our hands before today, as if we were to win all our remaining games including Boro we would go up. But if you think we are going to win every game from hereon in, you must be a bit tonto. Average 2 points a game and we will go up.

I've no problem going out the cup - just hope that we don't lose confidence with this defeat.

We won't. We have a great mentality and we'll be looking to put it right.

I don't think the players will be too disheartened and will still be thoroughly focused on the actual aim of the season which is promotion.

I think it's a decent weekend because our challengers have dropped points where most would expect them not to.

You're probably part of the cup>promotion group, but I'm not. Give me PL over FA Cup any day, at least we can build to be a decent top flight side which an FA Cup win and staying in tier 2 wouldn't do.

Obviously I'd have wanted us to win, and I think we would've if we'd been 11v11, which says a lot considering we made 7 changes.

If come Tuesday night we're top (albeit maybe only for 24 hours) then I honestly couldn't give a hoot about this result. We should be in the last 8 yes, but then what? If we drew Arsenal/United/Liverpool and lost. It's just another game to distract us from the bigger prize.

Let's just move on we've got bigger things to worry about than our second side with 10 men losing 2-1 to a team in our division.

I am not part of any Group Kernow. I just want to win winnable games, and see where it takes us. We might get the 3 biggies, we could of got 4 of the smallest. Don't get too excited either by Brentford losing; they are not challengers for automatics. So we come back to Bournemouth have drawn, and I can't in isolation with some 16 games to go, get too excited about that.

The FA cup is a pipe dream for most Championship clubs, the best they hope for is a home tie against a big club and bow out... i would prefer no distractions or injuries from chasing the dream - this season.

I think we/ The Holy Trinity learnt more from this loss than if we had won, and will work/think on it, we will be stronger for the loss in my opinion.Players rested,lessons learnt etc.

Bring on top 2 by Tues night ;)

Archived