Promotion or FA Cup?

Carl Sagan

Which would you rather win?  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Promotion, no doubt. The Premier League is so weak right now and we're in a fantastic position to establish ourselves. While we haven't had a 'distracting' FA cup tie as of yet, chances are we will if we beat Reading. That would irritate me more than excite me.

FA Cup.

Anyone who says anything else is short-sighted.

We won the FA Cup in 1946 but can anyone tell me about any of our promotions into the first division before 1968-69? History doesn't remember them.

And aside from that, I wouldn't want to give Sky the satisfaction of saying "promotion" either.

Having just seen the Prem TV deal again, I'm actually doing a double-take. I mean I'd like to win a cup, but wouldn't it be nice to get promoted and then increase our chances of winning domestic trophies for a prolonged period of time?

But then again, we can't win the Premier League any more. The League Cup and the FA Cup are the only pieces of silverware we can go for, and I'm not sure I could say "no" to an FA Cup.

Then again, if you really twisted my arm and said we had to be promoted instead, I wouldn't complain too much I guess.

FA Cup, without question.

As some others have pointed out, winning the cup is something none of us would ever forget, whereas it is likely we will see several more promotions within our lifetimes. I think we could persuade most of our best players to stay on and try for promotion next season since they're all under contract, the glory of an FA Cup winners medal would likely placate them somewhat, and they have the opportunity to play in Europe.

I don't see where the allure is in limping and stuttering towards the 40 point mark season after season in the premiership. For a club of our size that is almost inevitably what we can expect from a premiership campaign.

Also, I'd love to be able to follow the Rams to some Europa League ties in the arse end of the continent. Rams on tour Chisinau 2015.

Having just seen the Prem TV deal again, I'm actually doing a double-take. I mean I'd like to win a cup, but wouldn't it be nice to get promoted and then increase our chances of winning domestic trophies for a prolonged period of time?

But then again, we can't win the Premier League any more. The League Cup and the FA Cup are the only pieces of silverware we can go for, and I'm not sure I could say "no" to an FA Cup.

Then again, if you really twisted my arm and said we had to be promoted instead, I wouldn't complain too much I guess.

What about Southampton? They have a decent shot at getting top 4, and qualifying for Champions League. Worst case scenario then is they get into Europa which is very much a possibility for them. Who is to say we cant do a similar thing? Newcastle where in the championship a few seasons ago, finished 5th the other season and then they got into the Europa League. I know they have fallen off a bit over past year or so, but with our board, stability is something we can almost guarantee.

Who is to say we cant do a Southampton, or a (better) Newcastle?

I'm surprised at how close it is.

I would have thought more people would have been enticed by premier league riches.

Obviously I need to have more faith.

My Grandfather was demobbed from the navy the day before the cup final in 1946. He had a choice of going to the cup final or seeing his mum, who he hadn't seen for months. He chose to go and see his mother as there would be 'other cup finals'. He's still waiting. And although he can hardly see or hear any more, I'd like there to be one more cup final for him.

What about Southampton? They have a decent shot at getting top 4, and qualifying for Champions League. Worst case scenario then is they get into Europa which is very much a possibility for them. Who is to say we cant do a similar thing? Newcastle where in the championship a few seasons ago, finished 5th the other season and then they got into the Europa League. I know they have fallen off a bit over past year or so, but with our board, stability is something we can almost guarantee.

Who is to say we cant do a Southampton, or a (better) Newcastle?

I'm horrified at the prospect of Newcastle being a model to follow.

Archived