The best you've felt as a DCFC fan since?

Kernow

Beating Plymouth 4-2 in the last game of the 86/87 season to go up to first division, leaping out of the C stand paddock at the end of the game to run onto the pitch and pat Bobby Davison on the head, oh bobby bobby !! Arthur give us a wave etc

Beating crystal palace 2-1 to get promoted to the premier league and clambering out of the osmaston end upper tier and dropping down onto the terrace and then running on the pitch to celebrate with the rest of us !! Ooh ah Robbie van de laan !!

Nothing has compared to those DCFC moments in my lifetime, born in 1970 but too young to appreciate the Clough and Taylor and dave Mackey achievements.

Never got excited by billy Davies

Must say though that if we are staving off relegation, getting promoted or just languishing in mid table mediocrity my love of DCFC never waivers !!

I do think that this will be one of those special seasons though !!

Come on you Rams !!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best i have felt since Tricky Trevor Christie slotted that penalty away against Rotherham as a single moment......but in general this is the most positive i have felt since jim Smiths days of promotion, every game we went to I was convinced we would win, i recall playing teams like Sunderland and Huddersfield at home and being 1 or 2 goals behind and just sitting in the C Stand laughing because we KNEW we would be coming back and we would beat them....

Who is the ownership group?

Serious question, is it the same group of people who owned the club 4 years ago, or has the introduction of new investors aka candy saga man, provided some of the fresh impetus we have seen recently.

Yes they covered the losses, but what option did they have, and I'd be guessing but I wouldn't be surprised if an good offer had come in back then they would have sold.

There has been a change at the club, the investors and gcse have got to take a lot of credit for this, along with Steve and rush, it could easily have gone Pete tongue, just look at the car crash down the a52, although not on that scale I'm sure.

Anyway the time is to look forward not backwards, there is an exciting few months ahead for us, with promotion and Europe next season.....b4 told me so

As far as I am aware, we lost one of the original ownership group (although I think it transpired he had invested on behalf of a hedge fund) and gained one in Mel Morris.

Brett Wison seemed to get very involved last season but seems to have taken a back seat again sine getting cancer.

Yes and i can also remember losing to port vale in the cup, Losing twice to Luton and Florest. Man utd wasn't all that back then. The only result that stood out was, like you said the Arsenal away. They beat us at home though.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, beating Arsenal Away was good, losing to Luton at home wasn't, we finished 15th that season & was relegated the next.

:)

Incorrect 1988/89 was when we finished 5th and but for Liverpool would have been mixing it with Europe's elite

Given my age, this is the best I've felt about DCFC, ever.

The only thing that comes remotely close was Wanchope scoring that goal vs. Plastics United.

Especially considering coming out the other side of the 3 Amigos and feeling blessed that there was still a club left to support (bit extreme probably, but I was still young)

Our position off the field looks just as good as on it. Especially when you see the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Forest, Leeds, Blackpool - it's almost a small mercy we got out of the Premier League when we did..

Yes and i can also remember losing to port vale in the cup, Losing twice to Luton and Florest. Man utd wasn't all that back then. The only result that stood out was, like you said the Arsenal away. They beat us at home though.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, beating Arsenal Away was good, losing to Luton at home wasn't, we finished 15th that season & was relegated the next.

:)

Hate to be too pedantic, but.......The season we beat Arsenal away was the season that we finished 5th !

The following season wasn't so clever, as you said.

I can remember great victories at Spurs, Villa, United, Newcastle, Southampton...amazing days following the Rams.

Incorrect 1988/89 was when we finished 5th and but for Liverpool would have been mixing it with Europe's elite

HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT..... they were not at fault at all, it was Chelsea/Everton/Tottenham fans, the police, the stadium, the Juventus fans, the stewarding, UEFA etc etc etc...nothing to do with thousands and thousand of scousers going to the game with no tickets, getting lashed, bunking into the ground without paying and finally charging at the Juventus fans...nothign at all to do with them..... Just like it wasn't their fault for any other thign that has ever happened ever that we arent allowed to talk about.....

1969, I was a little too young to appreciate the promotion charge but I knew it was happening.

Winning the league in 72 for the first time and the European games will probably never be topped in mine, or any other Derby fan's lifetime.

Despair again when Cloughie left.

The way Dave Mackay added to Cloughies squad and won the league again, Charlie was mesmerising.

Then a real low of going down to Division 3 and years in the wilderness watching Clough do it all again with Forest, while we were minutes away from folding.

A brief high with Arthur, back to back promotions and some great players in Shilts, ooh Mark, Tin Man, Goddard and Saunders, but in the back of our minds we knew Maxwell would implode, which he did in typical spectacular style.

We nearly got back in the early 90s when Pickering threw a lot of money at it, but the squad didn't quite gel and we failed to get over the line in the play off final which was tough to take.

We finally did it late 90s in Jim Smiths first season and the following two years watching Stimac, Erianio, Bianno, Wanchope were the last time it was great for me.

I fell out a bit with football watching the overpaid rubbish that followed, didn't really connect with Burleys team TBH, and Billy's team left me cold, apart from the obvious enjoyment of winning at Wembley, the football we played under him was mostly dire.

The least that can be said about the following season, and the Paul Jewell era the better.

So to sum up, in my 40 years of watching us I've seen probably 10 years when it has been excellent, and the other 30 years alternating between mediocre, drab and suicidal.

The way football is set up now means a club like Derby will never get to the very top again, the best we can hope for (and we're still a long way from) is feeding off the scraps of the big clubs.

So last years football, and until/if we go up, this will be the best it gets for us, so my advice to you young uns is to enjoy it while it lasts, get behind the players and enjoy the feeling of winning and watching genuinely great players like Hughsey, it doesn't happen very often, and when it does it doesn't last very long.

I was talking about the 89/90 season. Yes finishing 5th the season before was a good season, athough we still lost to luton twice and didn't beat florest. :p

When you look at us from 87/88 season to 90/91 in the first division we finished 15th, 5th, 16th & 20th.

Again, like i said, I enjoyed those seasons even though we didn't rip up any trees, we had one good season where you could argue we over achieved, the facts don't lie.

Leicester beat Man utd this season, drew with arsenal, doesn't mean they are a good side does it. every dog has it's day.

I would say it's the best I've felt as a Derby fan since we had Ibe at the club only a few weeks ago.

I'm not quite sure what all of the fuss is about here.

We've replaced a quality player in Ibe with a player that has something to prove in Ince and brought in Lingard as Russel is injured. As much as both could do well, there is also every chance that neither could find form, that neither could adjust to Derby's system or that both could disrupt the balance we have.

I would much prefer to have had a fully fit Russel and Ibe therefore I don't feel the need to go overboard in declaring this time as particularly great.

I think our squad is actually potentially weaker than it was only a month or two back with the loss of two in form first teamers.

Just adding a touch of realism to all those who seem to be assuming that we're Real Madrid as we've signed players who aren't good enough for their parent clubs.

I don't think the OP was specifically referring to the two signings, but the general good feeling about the way the club is run, the management team, the type of football we play, and the positive way the club is viewed now by the rest of the football world.

The two signings are just a product of that, the fact that we've suffered a couple of blows but been able to minimise the damage by reacting quickly and bringing players of a good standard (hopefully) in.

I don't think the OP was specifically referring to the two signings, but the general good feeling about the way the club is run, the management team, the type of football we play, and the positive way the club is viewed now by the rest of the football world.

The two signings are just a product of that, the fact that we've suffered a couple of blows but been able to minimise the damage by reacting quickly and bringing players of a good standard (hopefully) in.

Yep, correct. I mean the overall feel and structure of the club, not individual moments like some have posted.

You can argue injury crises can ruin teams chances of promotion but with the way this club is run and with who we have in charge, is there such a thing as an injury crisis for us? No matter who we lost I'd be comfortable in a swift replacement being brought in.

Great times currently and hopefully greater times lie ahead

I was talking about the 89/90 season. Yes finishing 5th the season before was a good season, athough we still lost to luton twice and didn't beat florest. :p

When you look at us from 87/88 season to 90/91 in the first division we finished 15th, 5th, 16th & 20th.

Again, like i said, I enjoyed those seasons even though we didn't rip up any trees, we had one good season where you could argue we over achieved, the facts don't lie.

Leicester beat Man utd this season, drew with arsenal, doesn't mean they are a good side does it. every dog has it's day.

when we finished 5th, we didn't "over achieve" at all, we were the 5th best team in the league, those facts don't lie..!

We didn't beat Forest, no great shame about that, didnt they finish 3rd, win the league cup, win the Simod cup and would have won the FA cup if the semi final hadn't turned out how it did.

For me it has to be under George burley when we got to the playoffs although I think this team / setup at the club far surpasses that and I would go one step further and say if we get promoted then we may even top our time under the bald eagle in the prem..

when we finished 5th, we didn't "over achieve" at all, we were the 5th best team in the league, those facts don't lie..!

We didn't beat Forest, no great shame about that, didnt they finish 3rd, win the league cup, win the Simod cup and would have won the FA cup if the semi final hadn't turned out how it did.

The op asked when was the last time i felt this good about derby. I make one little comment about not pulling up trees in the late 80's and you lot get ya knickers in a twist.

That's was my opinion and i DID SAY I ENJOYED IT!!!.

If you all want to pick at my comments, fine, guess what?, I am not going to lose one wink of sleep.

We finished in those 4 seasons  bottom half and relegated, we finished 5th in one season!. THOSE ARE THE REAL FACTS!

I would agree if we finished top 10 in those 4 seasons but we didn't.

Like i keep having to repeat myself, maybe it will sink in. I ENJOYED THE LATE 80'S.

Archived