Went to Derby for the

unclej

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erm... The guy was like 33/34 when he joined us wasn't he? Of course he joined for the money... who else other than a team struggling in the Prem is gonna offer a player ANY money at that age! We gave him a contract which was a really decent length for a player his age... 

Most midfielders need a decent contract at 28 cos that's the last big one they're gonna get (see Paul Green and Craig Bryson) ESPECIALLY if they're a midfield 'runner' (again see Green and Bryson) so ANY player who gets offered a 3 yr deal when they're in their 30s is gonna jump at the chance! I don;t think you can judge a guy for JOINING because of that...

HOWEVER his conduct once he was at Derby AND since has been great... He was always passionate about the club when he played for us, took a pay cut to help out finances and every time I've seen him talk about Derby since it's been with passion and enthusiasm... 

"Player moves for money" is not new news people...

This is what i put on Facebook the other day when my friend said he was good for Derby

He was crap, hoof run round like headless chicken, hoof-headless chicken-hoof repeat wave scarf over head, you tube some crap songs headless chicken chase shadows. Pretty much sums up his career here.

Like has been said. The pay cut wasn't his choice. It was that or nothing.

He used to chase the ball as the oppositions back 4 passed it about amongst themselves and people used to clap him. "Gives 100%"

Seriously, my dog will actually do that! And I'll charge the club 10% of what Savage was on.

Ive not read all this thread nor do i wish to.

But.... whilst he might have come to derby for the money in the first instance.

Im pretty sure once we were relegated he wasnt here for the money at all.

he certainly gave it more, and was more professional than many others in his time here.

dress it up as much as you want rams fans

Professional? Really? He was the least professional and (positionally) disciplined footballer in the team! He would regularly go bombing on to chase a backpass he had no chance of catching, in a bid to impress the most 'innocent' of Derby fans. You're very easily impressed. I bet you think Milner and Carrick are rubbish don't you. But let someone run about a bit, and he's great! As for Savage, he was so busy chasing lost causes (with no success) that he didn't have the legs to catch the opposition central midfielder, who 90% of the time was MOM! He did have a couple of good games to be fair, but his sum total as a Derby player is Went in goal once + Waved a scarf above his head = shadow chasing ankle tapper!

We missed him when he retired. That is a fact. Obviously we don't miss him now but he left quite a big hole that we struggled to fill. Was a great captain for us, and he was quite good a lot of the time.

Just cos he's a complete cock on MOTD doesn't mean he's all bad. No idea why Derby fans don't like him.

Only cos he had nice hair! It's no coincidence that our midfield actually started to be competitive immediately after he finished! Define a GREAT captain! Is he up there with Mackay? McFarland? Hindmarch? Van Der Laan? No, he's on par with Paul ******* Connolly and Warren Fuicking Barton!

The same Robbie Savage who took a pa.y cut to stay with us?

You don't spend a whole career in the top two flights of English football but just kicking people and playing sideways passes, he was in one of the best Blackburn sides of my lifetime. He was the legs and tugay the brain. He was the legs here but we had no one with a brain.

I'll always like the guy, anyone who takes what he says on the radio as his word is an idiot - they're paid to create a debate and stir up a buzz on their shows. Be a pretty sausage show if they all shared the same opinion. He may have originally come to Derby for the money but I think by the time he left we were part of him (until Clough was sacked then he got the funnies with us).

He didn't take a pay cut, he actually got a pay rise. A significant amount of his wage was in appearance money. He agreed to half his basic wage, over 2 years (instead of one), but had to be selected if available to play, thus getting the extra

On tonights Radio 5 live someone commented upon the record low points accumulated by Derby in their Premiership year, until a certain someone signed for them, clearly alluding to Robby Savage.  Dear old Lilly then said, 'I went to Derby for one reason and for one reason only...' . The host said, 'The money?'  Lilly said nothing.  Disappointed by this comment, when he has always said he enjoyed his time with us.  I worked hard to see him play and I thought he was playing for the rams, not the bank. It always comes out with a big mouth.

Always about the money .....and at time I thought it was stupid he chose us over Sunderland .....

It transpires Keane pulled out when he heard a "wats up" message on Savage mobile and decided he was not up for challenge

How correct Keane was !!

He played pants ...and his offer to have his salary paid to him over an extra year ...so effectively playing for free one season ( when he was knackered and past it in any case ) was not as great as it seemed. He was over rated, over paid, and unfortunately over here !

Professional? Really? He was the least professional and (positionally) disciplined footballer in the team! He would regularly go bombing on to chase a backpass he had no chance of catching, in a bid to impress the most 'innocent' of Derby fans. You're very easily impressed. I bet you think Milner and Carrick are rubbish don't you. But let someone run about a bit, and he's great! As for Savage, he was so busy chasing lost causes (with no success) that he didn't have the legs to catch the opposition central midfielder, who 90% of the time was MOM! He did have a couple of good games to be fair, but his sum total as a Derby player is Went in goal once + Waved a scarf above his head = shadow chasing ankle tapper!

Only cos he had nice hair! It's no coincidence that our midfield actually started to be competitive immediately after he finished! Define a GREAT captain! Is he up there with Mackay? McFarland? Hindmarch? Van Der Laan? No, he's on par with Paul sausage Connolly and Warren Fuicking Barton!

He didn't take a pay cut, he actually got a pay rise. A significant amount of his wage was in appearance money. He agreed to half his basic wage, over 2 years (instead of one), but had to be selected if available to play, thus getting the extra

He wasn't the first and won't be the last player to sign for us because of the money, rather ambition.

Ravanelli and Carbone spring to mind. Anyone else?

They scored goals and were of Prem class when they joined us.

Savage was not wanted, and we fell for it.  He was recovered only recently from a leg break .....

All players play for money, yes.  Some of them are worth it ......or at least worth 50% of their pay relative to others.  To head into a likely Championship season woth a prima donna like Savage on board was a disaster waiting to happen.  We should view it that minute we stopped playing him cos we were paying him, we improved .......

He might have came to us for the money but i think looking back on his time with us i think he loved it. Remember the incident with Colin Gibson. Some might think he was being an a**hole but I think the way he stuck up for his team mates and coaching staff showed great passion. 

Archived