Went to Derby for the

unclej

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the Rams in Focus episode on YouTube today. It was posted a couple weeks ago and has a little feature with him.

He genuinely seems upset to have been part of a Derby side which was in a very bleak period. 2008-2011 the post relegation clear-out and Clough needing to completely re-shape the club. He used the Eustace example to argue he could have been part of this Derby side and wishes he could turn back three years and play for Derby today.

1:45-4:45 of this video 

Sav flatters himself thinking he could have been our 'Eustace'.

He didn't have the positional sense or discipline (to stay in position and snuff out danger) required to do that job. 

He was washed out within weeks of coming to Derby, thanks to the hapless Paul Jewell's incompetence and mismanagement, and was shipped out on loan - what a disgrace :angry:

Clough resurrected his career by immediately calling him onto the bench and ear-wigging him for opinions on players and shape of the team at that time (or lack of it). Clough utilised Sav's experience and rehabilitated his playing career, such that it could be so late in his career and in that mediocre Derby squad.

I always looked at him as a millstone around the club's neck whilst Mr Glick trollied out the FFP and cost-cutting mantras because the only aim after the Davies/Jewell debacles was to tread water in the Championship. Sav's wages acted to inhibit us bringing in some quicker, younger, better players.

IMHO he is quite an entertaining pundit, though. 

It is amazing how some people slag him off, but will also say that Darryl Powell was a football genius....

Powell wasn't fit to tie Robbies hair back for him.

NOBODY really thinks Darryl Powell was a football genius, but he did actually effect games and catch the opponents up. He wasn't a con-man flattering to deceive.

He was an average player who played out his twilight years at Derby. We picked up the bill. Overpriced crap really. Don't blame him for raking it in, we all would. Can't say I like or dislike him, pretty much an irrelevance on the landscape of football.

Savage reduced his salary to extend his contract, so he gave us nothing really, as it was for his own interest.

For me, in retrospect, he was one of the worst signings we ever made as he became a huge millstone around our necks for many years.

It was obviously his legs had gone when he arrived - and he admitted as such on soccer am when he was during his frozen out stage by Jewell...

I generally don't defend many players on here......and I did not like the signing at first as it was pure desperation and not what we needed at that time. But.....he is one of the reasons that we did NOT get relegated from the champ. His legs might have gone but he was clearly the only driving force ( mentally ) that we had.

The above mentioned soccer am interview included him admitting he had played ****, deserved to be dropped/loaned out and deserved the wrath of the fans. He was honest but was not happy about it and said it was the hardest time of his career. He looked genuine and after this performed much better...albeit in a really crap team.

Also, working around pride park I noticed he was always at charity events in DCFCs name. In fact I never saw one mentioned where he wasn't appearing. Add that to the story of him picking up a stranded fan and his lad at the roadside on the way to a match and I think you can peice together the type of person he is and his affinity to the club.

I generally don't defend many players on here......and I did not like the signing at first as it was pure desperation and not what we needed at that time. But.....he is one of the reasons that we did NOT get relegated from the champ. His legs might have gone but he was clearly the only driving force ( mentally ) that we had.

The above mentioned soccer am interview included him admitting he had played sausage, deserved to be dropped/loaned out and deserved the wrath of the fans. He was honest but was not happy about it and said it was the hardest time of his career. He looked genuine and after this performed much better...albeit in a really crap team.

Also, working around pride park I noticed he was always at charity events in DCFCs name. In fact I never saw one mentioned where he wasn't appearing. Add that to the story of him picking up a stranded fan and his lad at the roadside on the way to a match and I think you can peice together the type of person he is and his affinity to the club.

Totally disagree...savage was nowhere near best player in our team, and by default was not responsible for keeping us out of League 1.

Over rated player even in his prime, peed off Birmingham fans over his leaving to Blackburn . He was rubbish for us. Spin was put onto his salary "sacrifice" at the time. If he thinks he would get anywhere this current team he is deluded. Coutts would keep him out...Shotton would keep him out...from 2008 onwards he was shocking, and ......Clough had him, could not get rid of him...so wisely decided to play him if he was picking up a massive wage.....and helped Clough appear "in" with star players. Savage was bound to be nice to Clough and respectful.....the previous manager who had signed savage wanted rid of him. !! He had a pathetic answer phone message on his phone ...unprofessional and that alone lost him an offer to join Sunderland

I can't believe memories of his crap input to,our team can be forgotten so easily.......

Miles Addison and Paul a Green were light years ahead of savage in our first season in the championship. We were never going down ..we won I think 4 in a row in February ......and yes savage played in those games ....but was not the main readon we won 4 on the trot.

Sorry, I hated fact we signed him, and I laughed mostly at his performances

It is amazing how some people slag him off, but will also say that Darryl Powell was a football genius....

Powell played in our top performing Premier league team ......and got us promoted

Powell at derby vs Savage at derby ....no contest, Powell was better. Not great was Darryl ..but was versatile, fit and quick.

Powell actually started out for us as a centre half......and was very accomplished there.

And the genius song was ironic ...I think ....maybe it was heartfelt ??

I sure know my dislike of savage and his performances for us was from my head ......

NOBODY really thinks Darryl Powell was a football genius, but he did actually effect games and catch the opponents up. He wasn't a con-man flattering to deceive.

He was totally rubbish....I don't recall a game he did anything effective at all, one of the worst players to pull on a Derby shirt.

Totally agree don't see Gerrard or Lampard getting slagged for a final bumper payday what about Gary Lineker going to Grampus 8 in the J League

you've picked 3 of the finest contributors to the game (of their generation!) Lampard is still producing in his final payday, Gerrard hasn't even started collecting the wage yet, and Lineker was a mercenary with a poorly toe, who DID help raise the profile of the game in Japan, he was a lesser version of Beckham. A corporate decision.

My only memory of Powell was him catching the ball in the middle of the pitch in open play hahaha

Shhhh....dont tell anyone but i think bryson also stayed because of the money....lets hope noone noticed.

Perish the thought! Obviously because he has a bit of ability and scored a hat trick against forest we forget he's only here cos were giving him prem wages

The above mentioned soccer am interview included him admitting he had played sausage, deserved to be dropped/loaned out and deserved the wrath of the fans. He was honest but was not happy about it and said it was the hardest time of his career. He looked genuine and after this performed much better...albeit in a really crap team.

I still maintain he was an awful signing. I do agree that he was a positive influence in the dressing room, however he was very expensive for what he was able to offer.

He was totally rubbish....I don't recall a game he did anything effective at all, one of the worst players to pull on a Derby shirt.

Darryl Powell was a great player for what we originally required him for. He was the player that did the donkey work so the likes of Asanovic and Eranio/Baiano could do the damage.

Check out the Wanchope goal at old trafford. It is Powell that breaks up the play and gives him the ball.

He became to look a liability when he had to play alongside the likes of Kinkladze and Burley who went missing when the going got tough, meaning he tried to step up and do their job.

If every player tried to the same extent as Darryl Powell then we wouldn't have been relegated...

Archived