Sheffield United after Coutts and Freeman

Cam the Ram

I agree with people who say Coutts is good enough for this level. He has two big problems here though. First of all, we have altered our formation and the traditional wide role he played in the 4-4-2 is no longer required. Secondly, the three central midfielders he needs to push past to grab one of the two spots in the first 11 are amongst the most talented in the league.

I don't think Coutts has the pace to play as one of our advanced wingers and I don't see him in the DM role. The only way he'll see a decent amount of football is if one of Hughes, Bryson or Hendrick were to get injured. If he's happy to play bit parts from the bench it's great to have him in the squad, but if he's chomping at the bit to play it's unfair to pretend that's likely to happen here.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right back, if christie is injured.

Not sure why anyone thinks shotton is a full back.

He's a centre back.

He's not particularly comfortable in possession and has no desire to go bombing up and down.

He certainly can't take on and beat the opposition full back as we expect the full backs to do (with very little assistance).

But coutts can.....

Right back, if christie is injured.

Not sure why anyone thinks shotton is a full back.

He's a centre back.

He's not particularly comfortable in possession and has no desire to go bombing up and down.

He certainly can't take on and beat the opposition full back as we expect the full backs to do (with very little assistance).

But coutts can.....

Coutts isn't a full back either?

He was a central attacking midfielder at Peterborough that played out wide in a 4-4-2 under Clough, he was lost without Brayford behind him.

He's been suggested as a CDM and now a full back, truth is he doesn't fit into this formation, if we can cash in it's time for him to go

Coutts isn't a full back either?He was a central attacking midfielder at Peterborough that played out wide in a 4-4-2 under Clough, he was lost without Brayford behind him.He's been suggested as a CDM and now a full back, truth is he doesn't fit into this formation, if we can cash in it's time for him to go

He can play right wing back which is effectively what the position is.

He can play centre mid.

I doubt that theres even much to chose between hendrick and coutts.

He might be able to play CDM

he's very versatile because he's competitive and good on the ball.

When jim smith introduced this system we had sean flynn playing right back remember.

Coutts may go when his contract expires, but he's a better player than shotton who people keep saying is a full back?

I'd be happy to see him sign up for another year.

Carn't say that I can really remember Coutts having a decent game for us without Brayford being in the side....  without Brayford he as always seemed to me, a bit off a liability ......I would let both Coutts & Freeman go....it we got anything more than 250k for the pair of them I'd see it as good business...

Carn't say that I can really remember Coutts having a decent game for us without Brayford being in the side....  without Brayford he as always seemed to me, a bit off a liability ......I would let both Coutts & Freeman go....it we got anything more than 250k for the pair of them I'd see it as good business...

He only started three games after brayford left before he suffered a serious injury.

I wouldn't see it as weakening our promotion hopes.... simply removing the temptation of picking two liabilities that could hinder our promotion hopes...

Coutts isn't a liability he is possibly more suited to playing right (wing) back than he is to playing right wing.

shotton on the other hand......

Brighton (a)

He only started three games after brayford left before he suffered a serious injury.

Its all about opinion's..... as your view about there being little to choose between Hendrick & Coutts shows...because to me there is a big gap in their footballing abilities......

As to appearances....there have been other times in Coutts Derby career when he was in the side without Brayford besides the three games he played after Brayford left....

He's only going to be our fourth choice central midfielder this season - but he'll still get some game time as we're bound to pick up a knock or two.

He's not a wide player and looked lost without Brayford behind him.

Keep him till the end of the season then all the best to him elsewhere - if we let him go we've either got to push Mascerell further forward or promote Bunjaku (or another under 21) to the first team. As much I'd like to give youth a chance, we've got to keep hold of Coutts in a promotion season.

We're going to have to get rid of these types of players if we are to forge ahead. Today's team is tomorrow's bench. Coutts is a good player but we managed without him for long enough.

We still need a DM and a FB. We could offload Dawkins and Ward too and get a nippy forward. It's not that these players aren't good, it's just progress.

Freeman - let him go, not bothered about a fee, especially as half goes to Forest! Needs to be given a chance to play regularly, personally I thought he was ok, certainly no worse than the Tottenham lad we had on loan in his place - League 1 probably the right level for him at the minute.

Coutts - No point letting go unless on loan with a recall in case we have injuries, at least that way he would have a chance to become match fit and therefore be of more use if we needed him. Personally I think he would have to be 1 of the 2 in front of the holding midfielder, but behind Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick & possibly Mascarell when Thorne is back playing

Not sure about the desire to play at RB, if we played with wing backs maybe but we don't!

Wrt the Shotton not a full back comment - as has been said in plenty of threads by plenty of others, he played most of his Stoke games at RB and even occassionally in RM, it's only due to his height people think of hiim as a CB in my opinion.

I do feel his time is ending here...

Him, Freeman, Whitbread, probably Eustace as well, Sammon, Naylor I think you will see go by EOS...

Don't confuse them with facts. It doesn't suit their agenda.

In the interests of fairness I think it's worth me mentioning that Brayford missed 6 games that season and missed a few more having to play at centre-half. That'll be the period he's basing his opinion on.

The general consensus was that he was our Player of the Season up until the new year, when the hoofball took over and Brayford stopped playing behind him for a bit. Even so, people were still saying they think he'd be worth having as a squad player in the Prem. Definitely worth keeping in my opinion, regardless of division.

Maybe Coutts could go on Loan till end of season with option to recall at any point. He needs to start getting 90 minutes every weekend to get back to form and he will rarely get the chance here.

Agreed. Coutts has shown glimpses of class in the two odd minutes he has come on in the last couple of games.

Archived