Sheffield United after Coutts and Freeman

Cam the Ram

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he doesn't get a shot in the cup match, I'll take it as he's not in the plans, although I'd like to see him come good.

He played wide last round and was awful. Far too slow to play winger. Can't take a man on to save his life. Brayford made him look good.

Coutts is a funny one: Chris Martin said he was technically the best footballer at the club and a few other people have mentioned similar things about him. I have no doubt if I was to watch him in training that I, too, would probably rave about him. The corner kick challenge was ridiculous.

For that reason, I'd be annoyed if we were to sell him. I do want him to be given a chance at DM to see how he does, but it's a big risk when we can't exactly take risks. 

He's going to find it hard to break into the team and I doubt the management would be too keen about allowing him to leave either. 

When Henderson signed for Liverpool and started poorly, I remember reading that he always won the challenges they had in training and I wondered why he was so poor on the pitch. A couple of years on and he's being touted to be captain when Gerrard leaves and is one of their most important players. Maybe Coutts will come good in time.

Coutts has never been and will never be a winger. I liked Clough, but that used to grind my gears. 

Can you imagine playing Hendrick on the wing and then moaning he isn't doing his bit? It's effectively what we've done with Coutts. 

Managed to wangle Hughes out on the left too. Two central mids playing on the flanks. 

Yet we seem to be applying the same 'round hole, square peg' logic to the DM role - Warnock, Buxton, Keogh, Albentosa, Coutts..

Managed to wangle Hughes out on the left too. Two central mids playing on the flanks. 

Yet we seem to be applying the same 'round hole, square peg' logic to the DM role - Warnock, Buxton, Keogh, Albentosa, Coutts..

I'd suggest that CB to DM or CM to DM is less of a stretch than CM to AMR (assuming 4-3-3)

Look at players like Carrick... He's played all 3 roles really... My dad always maintains that the 'Ferguson' approach was to play a CB in the DM role... 

Coutts can tackle, is strong, not afraid to put himself about, good passer of the ball etc etc 

PLUS for those who question his discipline to hold a position... He spent a whole season playing RM when he's a CM by trade... when Hughes/Bryson were played out wide they kept drifting back inside... When Coutts played it he played as an actual RM... Thought he was incredibly disciplined playing the role that season...

I don't think we are applying that logic at all. Certainly not in the same way Clough did. Clough tried to play people out of position. Was it 3 left backs on the pitch for his United debut?

We have arguably the best DM in the league - Injured.

An experienced, and strong DM in Eustace - Injured.

A DM on loan from arguably the best team on Earth - Too lightweight. 

These decisions are forced by injury, and aren't permanent. 

Are you on commission or summat?

No Tombo lad, I ain't.....

"I'm on a breakfast pie,

flying high up in the sky,

from the Black Bull Inn,

Inverurie to Wembley......

"I'm on a breakfast pie,

flying high up in the sky,

I'm D.C.F.C till I die or

if I eat to many breakfast pies...............

But I think they should start paying me some commission, pies are selling quicker than hot potatoes!!

(ps.....they don't do hot potatoes)

He played wide last round and was awful. Far too slow to play winger. Can't take a man on to save his life. Brayford made him look good.

Against Southport? Coutts was in middle with Bryso. Looked very short of match fitness but showed a smattering of his talent. Had one long range shot, on target, unlike several others in the first half, that would have beaten most keepers (as we all know their keeper was immense that day)

He needs game time, in the middle, in games that are less important like the cup, to see if he's anywhere near where he could be.

I won't disagree that Brayford was the reason our right hand side worked, but it only worked because of Coutts grit and determination to cover him while he sprinted up the wing

Archived