Derby County v Huddersfield

Mafiabob

Very generous scores them.

Take 1.5 off each and I'd probably agree.

Mascarell though was very good - he and Russell were our most effective players.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyable game. I was amazed at the negativity on the radio. This was a real test against a confident side. It isn't always about winning pretty by 4 goals. Our season will depend on our resilience when things don't go as planned. We could easily have crumbled tonight but didn't. Lots of inventive football and great link up play. How soon we take these things for granted! I have spent far too many years watching brainless, dull football by players who were either not good enough or that did not care enough. We have a team to be proud of. It's interesting that the posters on here who are quick to criticise seize upon any hint of self doubt exhibited by the players. These lads are worth believing in, I am a very proud rams fan tonight. We will go up.

Great game of footy.

Made me laugh how Martin blatantly knew he was offside and hit an half arsed shot but the whistle never came. Well done Russell  :lol:

Except that he wasn't offside. Left back Robinson played him on, hence he didn't appeal and held his head in his hands.

Good three points.

I'm becoming more convinced about Mascarell, less convinced about Ibe.

Attacking was good.

Defending was shaky.

We miss Grant.

Overall, we didn't play bad, but the first goal was soft, didn't see the second as my view was blocked by people leaving :angry:

Bloke sat next to me thought that the best thing for Hughes would be to send him to league 1 so he toughens up. Seriously. I'm no sitting in the East stand no more when I go - the level of moaning seems to be at pandemic proportions.

Bring on Saturday. A game they have to rise to, but I think they will.

Good three points.

Attacking was good.

Defending was shaky.

We miss Grant.

Overall, we didn't play bad, but the first goal was soft, didn't see the second as my view was blocked by people leaving :angry:

Bloke sat next to me thought that the best thing for Hughes would be to send him to league 1 so he toughens up. Seriously. I'm no sitting in the East stand no more when I go - the level of moaning seems to be at pandemic proportions.

Come sit with me in the South Stand. I had a stork on for Dawks on.

Good three points.

Attacking was good.

Defending was shaky.

We miss Grant.

Anyone who thinks that of Hughes should never be allowed in a football stadium.

I would probably be thrown out the ground if i heard anyone say that.....

Thought we passed the ball well at times going forward, Martin didn't quite have his radar set for laying the ball off tonight though and we looked very shaky at the back.

Butland 7 - some good saves and no kicks out tonight thankfully, pushed one out into the box but Christie blocked

Christie 6 - good block to stop a goal (see above) but looked very nervy with the left winger running at him

Forsyth 6 - looked better going forward tonight but some of his clearances weren't so great

Keogh 7 - looked the best of the defenders, made some good surges from defence

Shotton 6 - seemed caught out positionally a few times with players getting in behind him

Mascarell 8 - thought he looked lively and passed the ball very well (curtains will be glad to hear)

Hughes 7 - got better as game went on after slow start

Hendrick 6 - a few long range efforts on goal but fairly quiet overall

Martin 6 - his lay offs not quite at their most accurate today but kept battling

Russelll 8 - very energetic and probing display

Ibe 7 - better than of late, good goal and had a few nice runs

Subs

Dawkins 7 - great shot for goal within minutes of coming on

Coutts - n/a

Butland seems to have an unhappy knock of not being where the ball is when players shoot at him. I do not believe that they would have gone past Grant like they are going by him. Roos for me or score three goals a game to win. McClaren is determined to get Mascarell in the starting eleven now so watch this space. He will be proved right I am sure but I would not be doing it. Being in the top four and in touchat Xmas looks like a good shout as there are a couple of dark horses running about e.g. Bournemouth and Middlesbrough.

Some quick points I took from tonight

-Maybe tonight we rode our luck with some of the refs decisions. But arguably these haven't gone for us in previous games so no complaints from me on that one.

-Mascarell looks a very tidy player, yet I fail to see him impact the game like you want a defensive midfielder to do. Positionally I didn't think he was great but neither were hughes and hendrick. I think we need players to impose themselves and control the game. If we sort midfield out in that respect, then it may help the defence as there seems to be too many direct runs towards Keogh and Shotton. Generally he played well, but I think other teams may be able to expose this fault within midfield.

-The Crowd. I'm not gonna knock it too much, but I do think there is some complacency in some areas of the ground. During the first half it went very quiet, and I think this showed as players became more nervous on the pitch (misplaced passes etc). Yes teams will come to try and silence the crowd, but sometimes i think it's our role to keep the atmosphere going. This might encourage the players a bit more to get that second or third goal to kill teams off. That isn't a knock to the south stand btw who I heard throughout tonight, just wish that this could spread across the stadium a bit more. We will defo need this on Saturday.

-Hopefully tonight will be the kickstart to the season, there were definite glimpses of a top team tonight which has been missing recently. We need to keep building and picking up results.

Thought we lacked a bit of purpose first half. We didn't move it quick enough. Quite often we dragged about 4 defenders over to the winger/fullback but we didn't pass it quick enough to exploit the space elsewhere. Think we improved on that second half.

Just need to inject that bit of pace and urgency every now and again, rather than simply passing for passing sake.

We certainly should have pressed on their throat much harder after the early goal. We stepped off far too much.

Mascarell moved the ball around well. We let the same amount of goals in as the Wigan game but scored two more - I don't care if Omar makes us look shakier at the back, with him in the side we're more likely to score our way out of trouble. Every single time, he was an outlet for the defence to distribute to and once or twice got the whole team out of tricky situations.

I'm a little surprised that his performance didn't earn him universal acclaim. But if he keeps doing that, opinions will sway.

Someone called Thorne "a poor man's Eustace" after we played Ipswich away last season. I've since learned to take opinions with a pinch of salt on here when it comes to holding midfielders.

I enjoyed it but at i times i couldn't believe what i was watching.

We play a 2323 formation.

The full backs were pushing up or standing off leaving big holes

Keogh pushes up too.

Hughes and hendrick were well up the pitch

wide men aren't tracking back.

Its like playground football.

No one wanting to defend.

Exciting but......???? Its so open.

I presume brentford was similar.

Watching their first goal forsyth is nowhere to be seen.

bryson can't get back.

Christie comes flying in leaving 2 men unmarked??? Bang Goal 1-1

Second goal they come flying down our left.

Ibe is trotting back, the winger is in acres with fozzy standing off

Ball goes right across the face of the goal

Christie is too far adrift

Bang goal 2-1

Last night .....a routine ball to the edge of the box

We get sucked towsrds the striker leaving the second bloke in acres

Christie is all at sea.

God knows what keogh is doing...playing rush goally by the look of it.

Bang 1-1

we are so loose at the back.

Its just bizarre.

Good win last night, some spells where we looked like our old selves and others where we looked shaky at the back, however, we have to remember players like Shotton, who I thought had a good second half, hasn't really had time to settle and bed into his role/partnership yet

Better with Hughes back in the team, OMG needs game time to further improve but is looking the part and when Grant gets back the defence will tighten up again

As previously posted 27000 for a Tuesday night game aint bad

3 points Saturday and we're back on track

Tricky to get team selection right when team is playing twice a week. Need to keep players fresh. It worked for Mac last night, odd to see ibe start ahead of Dawkins but alternating them keeps them both fresh and of course they both scored so that's all good.

Archived